I don't know if this counts as vintage but....- Mtbr.com
    Rogue Exterminator

I don't know if this counts as vintage but....

I just picked up what I believe to be a 1989 Giant Iguana in pretty decent shape for $60

It does need a rear tire, tube and band around the rim.
    Also, the headset is shaky and at this point I assume it needs to be replaced.

All in all, the rest of the bike seems solid.

Basically picked it up for something a little different to ride and wanted a full rigid experience. Plus, I just like old things. I doubt I will ride it a ton since I am sure I will ride my 29er more, but I am sure when I do ride it, it will give me just as much if not more joy especially since you do not see a lit of full rigid bikes in these parts. Especially ones that are over 20 years old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I don't know if this counts as vintage but....-giant_iguana.jpg  

VRC Illuminati
    I guess technically 'vintage'. Definitely not desirable or collectible. Ditch the reflectors, kickstand, spoke protector and plastic pedals for starters. Some fresh tires, new headset, cables/housing/brake pads....and then try and like it as much as your modern 29er. You won't.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Rogue Exterminator
    All that stuff is already ditched and I am well aware I will never like it as much as my 29er but I am sure I will still like it for a different reason.

I have about 30 different kinds of beer in my house and I don't like any of them as much as my favorite, but I still like them all for different reasons.
    Why should bikes be any different.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    All that stuff is already ditched and I am well aware I will never like it as much as my 29er but I am sure I will still like it for a different reason.

I have about 30 different kinds of beer in my house and I don't like any of them as much as my favorite, but I still like them all for different reasons.
    Why should bikes be any different.
    I agree with you. Looks like a clean, fun ride and hey, it even has skinwall tires. Do us a favor please and post some more photos of her when she's all cleaned up.

Oh, and no need to change any parts...I would go ahead and ride her a couple thousand miles just as she is

Rogue Exterminator
    Yeah, that rear tire when I got it was shot but pretty much everything else seems fine.
    Getting a take off from a friend of mine for free, tighten up the headset (hopefully it doesn't need replacing), lube it up and ride it.
    I have some bar ends laying around that I might throw on it too.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Black Chrome is always considered vintage.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

I like bikes
    I bet you will have a blast riding that thing. I've got an oldy and it is fun to take for a rip. Helps you appreciate 4K$ bikes, a little more.

PS. The black chrome is dope.

Rogue Exterminator
    I know it will be fun.

I used to have a little 75cc two-smoker street bike and people always wondered why I got it when I had a full on sport bike. Probably rode it the least, but never had a bad time on it.
    Funny thing is, all my buddies who questioned it, loved riding it too.

Bipolar roller
    I remembering checking out the Giant Iguana before I purchased my 1989 trek 820. I thinks they were around the same price range, similar components. Definitely lower end, but I still mashed the s^{%t out of it. I had a lot of fun on that old 1989 MTB. Wish I still had it. Have fun with your new ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Is that Giant Iguana a medium size frame? What is the size in inches? How many speeds does it have? It looks like a rugged bike!

Members who have read this thread: 18