mtbr member
    May 2012

Help Me Drop Bar My Vintage GT

https://ibb.co/kwK08c

First off, anyone know the year of this GT? It has Deore parts throughout.

Secondly, I want to run a drop bar setup just for something fun and different. I would like to keep it geared but if this complicates things SS is fine too. Any suggestions on going about this easy and cheap?

Lastly, is the stem set up stock? I figured this would be a quill stem with its age. I will need more stack and would like to replace the fork with something that has a longer steerer if possible or I do not mind running a quill setup. Suggestions?

Thanks for any input.

High Plains Luddite
    Apr 2015
    Almost certainly not the stock stem. Judging by the photo only, I'd say you'll need a 1" quill stem, not the larger 1 1/8" quill stem. You'll most likely want one that's higher and has a shorter reach. One example of many:

https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-dirt...10_870/product

Whatever stem you go with, you'll (obviously) want to make sure the stem's clamp diameter matches the handlebar. In the link above, you can see that one is available in 25.4 mm and 26 mm sizes, and two different lengths as well. You also might prefer a stem with a removable faceplate to make bar swaps easier.

Another example with a removable faceplate (cheaper than the one above, too!): https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Class...SIN=B003Q3Y9GO

And another: https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...ll-stem-ns-aqs

For brakes and shifting, the "traditional" method - if there is such a thing for drop bar conversions - is bar-end shifters. There are also Genevalle shifter/brake combos such as these: https://www.gevenalle.com/shifters/

Bar-end shifters are my preference. They're expensive new but can be found cheaper at bike co-ops, used bike shops, craigslist, etc.

You can keep your cantilever brakes, as just about all road brake levers will pull them just fine.

More information and ideas here: http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...ad-659324.html

And here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html

Sneaker man
    I think---think its 1 1995 Karakorum (its 1993-1995 whatever it is, and the karakorum in 95 had LX and came in a titanium style colour)... which would be 1-1/8 steerer (GT went 1-18 pretty early) and yes that looks like the original stem.
    All the gear and no idea.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

High Plains Luddite
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I think---think its 1 1995 Karakorum (its 1993-1995 whatever it is, and the karakorum in 95 had LX and came in a titanium style colour)... which would be 1-1/8 steerer (GT went 1-18 pretty early) and yes that looks like the original stem.
    To me, that stem looks like some kind of much newer threaded to threadless adapter and the bottom of the headset where the fork is inserted shows the 1" size, but I'll gladly defer to those "in the know" about such things.

1995 was maybe a year or two after I had gotten away from cycling, visiting bike shops, picking up manufacturer's catalogs, etc. the first time around. I've been back for a few years now but still love MTBs from that era. I can afford them now, and they're even more fun with drop bars.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    To me, that stem looks like some kind of much newer threaded to threadless adapter and the bottom of the headset where the fork is inserted shows the 1" size, but I'll gladly defer to those "in the know" about such things.
    Yeah well GT's went to 1-1/8th early, also threadless. According to the catalogues, the Karakorum (which this may or may not be, but probably due to the colour and build) came with a Tioga "Aheadset" 1-1/8 Oversize and Flip Flop Cromo stem in 1993 and then switched to Diacompe -1/8 Oversize Aheadset" and Aluminium Flip flop stem from 1994 onwards. 1994 was blue with a silver stem, 1995 titamnium billet with a black stem...looks the same stem to me...(of course it might not be, but it should be 1-1/8th and hreadless either way...but only the OP can tell us)
    All the gear and no idea.

Air Pirate
    Profile Design BOA stem to get the bars up...comes in threadless and quill versions. Lots of mountain/adventure bike specific bars out there with a variety of bends with different reach, drop, flare, etc. A bar with a good mid-range of dimensions would be the Origin-8 Gary II. If you are keeping those cantilever brakes any short-pull road brake lever will do the job...you can get some Tektro ones for pretty cheap on Amazon or Ebay. For shifting you may want to look for some bar-end shifters that have a friction front shifter...these will be easiest to set up...sometimes the ones with indexing for each front chainring/gear wont pull enough cable on a mountain derailleur. You can use a road brifter on this setup but you will run into the same issue with road cable pull not working well with mountain derailleurs. You can get an adapter from the UK to allow use of road shifters with mtn derailleurs but you said cheap so this may not be an option.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Bicycles aren't motorized
    9 speed shimano mtb rear derailleur with 10 speed road levers will work.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    May 2012
    From everything I have found it is the factory threadless 1 1/8 stem. I have found a bigger vintage Trek that fits me much better but the parts specs are junk. I am going to rob the better parts off of this GT and swap everything over, run a 1x8 with index shifting and probably a Nitto Noodle 48cm bar. Thank you for the help.