Help with late 90's Jamis Exile Handlebar Riser- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Help with late 90's Jamis Exile Handlebar Riser

Hi Everyone - first time/long time. Anyways, I've inherited a very sentimental mid/late 90's Jamis Exile bike. I've been riding it around the neighborhood with the kids and given its sentimentality, I'm not opposed to spending some money on it to get it the way I like.

One of the things I'm struggling a little with, given that I'm mostly just cruising around is how leaned over I am sitting on it, and I wanted to see if I could raise up the handlebar set so I'm a little more upright.

However I have what looks to be an older/original version of the ahead set, and given that I'm a newb to all of this I thought I would ask you all for some advice on how to best accomplish what i am looking to do.

Is there an easy way to add spacers to the current stem to raise it up? should I look at getting a different link (?)

Thanks in advance. I just need to sort this out and find a set for my fat butt and I'm off to the races.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with late 90's Jamis Exile Handlebar Riser-67789849_10156870370726973_821134735530000384_n.jpg  

Help with late 90's Jamis Exile Handlebar Riser-67878670_10156870368921973_5608325731990896640_n.jpg  

Help with late 90's Jamis Exile Handlebar Riser-stem.jpg  

Cycologist
    Get a stem with more rise. If you're just putzing around and really want it higher, you could get one of those adjustable ones. And/or a shorter stem would sit you up higher.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    In my photo are you talking about the silver thing? Iím still very new LOL.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
    In my photo are you talking about the silver thing? Iím still very new LOL.
    Yes, that's the stem. Not sure if your steer tube (what the stem clamps to) is a 1" or a 1-1/8". 1-1/8" became the standard for a long time, though you can get a shim it if you need a 1". And you'll need to be sure it is for the correct size handlebar, I think it is 25.4mm.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Cycologist
    Maybe this is it? This lists a 1-1/8".

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...product/63580/

Is yours 24 speed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Sure looks like it. Thanks. Iíll play with some smaller, steeper stems. Moving the bars a little closer might help too. Thanks!

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    What he said. Either what we always called a "boner stem", or a bar with rise. Both will achieve similar results.

Note that you do want a stem with 25.8 bar clamp, for the bars you have.

But you could get one with the more modern 31.8 clamp diameter, and get a set of shims. That way, if you still need more, you can get a bar, and since the vast bulk of modern bars are 31.8 now, not have to get a new stem all over again....
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com