Help with fork upgrade - 1989 Cannondale Red Shred- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Help with fork upgrade - 1989 Cannondale Red Shred

Just pulled my OLD Red Shred outta the closet and intend to get her tuned up and start riding again after 25 years. Intended to convert to suspension fork back in the day, but never got around to it.

What would you all recommend as far as a modern shock? Not looking for max travel, just want to soften the trail a bit for my 50+ year-old bones and keep the bike as light as possible.

Any suggestions? Is there even anything available that will fit this old girl?

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    1 1/4" or 1 1/8" steerer?
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Sneaker man
    89 'Dale, could even be 1 inch.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Bike is in the shop right now, so I cannot check it, but I am leaning toward 1-1/4". Info on these old bikes is hard to find!

Description for the original forks say, "Tange Unicrown Chrome-moly". It looks like Tange used 1" for their road bikes and 1-1/4" for their MTB forks back then, but I could not verify that 100%.

I should be getting her out of the shop in the next couple of days (just in time for the RAIN...), and I will check.

Are their options out there for both 1-1/8" and 1-1/4"? I am assuming I will have more choices if it is 1-1/4"?

Thanks for chiming in!

1 1/4", nothing. You'd need either a set of conversion cups, a new 1 1/8" headset, and a 1 1/8" fork, or, a King Devolution headset and the same fork.

1", kinda screwed on much of anything "decent". Plenty of garbage though, unless you luck out seeking a vintage fork.

1 1/8"? Plenty of moderately priced, moderately decent stuff. I'd suggest Rock Shox, there's several of options, and don't forget, 26" is now an oddball size consideration as well in "modern suspension".

All this said, why are you not just asking the shop it's at? They might need a bit of pushback if all they want to do is tell you to buy a new bike, but otherwise, I can't imagine any shop not wanting a chance at a quick ~$400 sale, where all they have to do is order and install.

You may well need to either go to V brakes if the fork has brake studs still. Most will assume disc use though, so be informed as you shop, if you don't just hand it off to the shop to handle.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    I can wait until bike is back from shop to check into options. I won't likely upgrade right away as I want to make sure I still enjoy riding after a 25-year hiatus before spending the $$ (I just placed an order for a YT Jeffsy!).

I definitely think it would be fun to "modernize" the Red Shred to a suspension fork, disc brakes, possibly ditch the front derailleur (haven't looked into the implications of THAT yet) and add a dropper post (instead of this archaic Hite-Rite spring! LOL).

Thanks for your input so far!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If the headtube is 1":

Every now and then a decent Marzocchi with a 1" steerer shows up on ebay or pinkbike.
    Heres one right now: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2684991/
    not sure if its still for sale.
    Heres a few that already sold:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marzocchi-B.../333514761860?

Marzocchi made their MX Comp and MX Pro 85mm with 1" steerers well into the 2000's, so maybe search for those on ebay.

CHeck out this thread for some other suggestions:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retr...rk-775986.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If you find a good Marzocchi in 1-1/8" with the clamp on crown, you may be able to replace the steerer...??

https://dr-marzocchi.projectweb.de/p...spare-steerer/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Call this dude when you find out the size. He can probably sort you out.

https://www.mtbforksbymark.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Thanks for those links guys!

All well and good.

But if you put a dropper on that thing I'll puke in my mouth, and not just a little....

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If it is a 1-1/4" I've got a marzocchi Z2 with a threaded 1-1/4" head tube I would like to sell. New seals and oil, ready to rock! Albeit a bit ugly and missing 1 adjuster knob. Steerer tube is 5.5" long measured from the top of the bearing race. (pic below)

Although I would guess you've got a 1".

If you do have a 1" head tube as stated above you can find Marzocchi Z2's with a bolt on steerer tube. Find a threaded (or non) RST steerer tube. Swap em. That's what I've done before and it works well, although it's tough to find RST steer tubes state side.

Aside from that Marzocchi Mark is a great guy I buy stuff from him a few times a year. Always great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with fork upgrade - 1989 Cannondale Red Shred-inch-quarter-z2.jpg  

83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    I still haven't got my bike back from the shop. When I do, I will take some measurements to figure out what I have to start with and look at all options. Another concern I have (although I don't know if it is a legit concern) is that my bike was a 22" frame size and the Red Shred already had different geometry from all the other cannondales (sloping top tube and 2" rear tire) and the head tube is VERY long. I think that may be an issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Here is a pic I found online for reference of how long the head tube is
    Help with fork upgrade - 1989 Cannondale Red Shred-22-inch-red-shred.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Wait, youve already got a Jeffsy? I would just convert the ‘Dale to street use then! Pounding road miles may not be as cool and interesting, but the consistency makes it better for building endurance. Also easier to do throughout the week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Just ordered a Jeffsy. I don't have a confirmed ship date, but website said available in JULY. I don't have any interest in pounding out road miles, but my Cannondale will likely be relegated to spirited "training" rides on logging roads, so I may not want to add a suspension fork, especially if I cannot get a lightweight, cushy one!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Although I would guess you've got a 1".
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW MTB View Post
    Here is a pic I found online for reference of how long the head tube is
    This was going to be my guess... 1" with a crazy long steerer tube.

The Marzocchi Z2 linked above looks like it has potential? And you'd also have to scare up a 1" Ahead headset and stem.

To the experts: Is an older Rock Shox SID or Judy an option?
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

Sneaker man
    Yeah my mates early 90's (or late 80's, came with rapid fire, so I think 90/91)'Dale came with a 1 inch, then when he got that warranteed, the next frame, a 93 (prob, 92 year model though) came with a 1-1/4, then when he got THAT one replaced, he had to wait an age for them to russle up a 1-1/4 inch frame.

My money is on 1 inch.
    All the gear and no idea.