Headset Shims?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Headset Shims?

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC

Headset Shims?

Ok, so while I'm figuring out what to build up next, I'm poking around the garage and gathering parts. I decided to pull the headset out of the cracked Manitou, (It was running a 1 1/8" Bomber fork which seemed odd), and I was suprised to see the headset is actually a 1 1/8" shimmed out to fit the Manitou headtube .

Was this a standard bodge for the Manitou's oddball headtube? Any thoughts on how I can get the shims off, (no pry spots like a fork crown), without hitting it with the Dremel?

Wondering now if the shims aren't a bit large and may have had something to do with the cracked headtube.

This look familiar to anyone?

I'm gonna sleep on it, but will probably be "surgically" removing the shims in the morning.

Steve

VRC Hound
    Wouldn't a headset punch still be able to get the shims out? The headset was probably a 1 1/4 on your Manitou.

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    Wouldn't a headset punch still be able to get the shims out? The headset was probably a 1 1/4 on your Manitou.
    BP,

The shims are actually pressed onto the headset cups, (silver aluminum ring on the black cup in the pic).

I was wondering why the steerer on the fork I removed from the frame was 1 1/8"...I guess this is why.

I just want to remove the shims from the cups so I can use them on a 1 1/8" headtube, (the only 1 1/4" frame I have is the Manitou and it's pretty far down the build list since I'll have to try to talk Frank into fixing it. How did your Manitou repair come out?)

Steve
    Last edited by eastcoaststeve; 12-22-2009 at 09:36 AM.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    I don't know if I'd bother just to save an S1 - they run about $30 including shipping on eBay. In fact I'd probably consider cutting from the inside out - kill the headset - save the shims - that'll save you buying a Devolution if you want to run a King on the Manitou build.
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

VRC Hound
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve
    BP,

The shims are actually pressed onto the headset cups, (silver aluminum ring on the black cup in the pic).

I was wondering why the steerer on the fork I removed from the frame was 1 1/8"...I guess this is why.

I just want to remove the shims from the cups so I can use them on a 1 1/8" headtube, (the only 1 1/4" frame I have is the Manitou and it's pretty far down the build list since I'll have to try to talk Frank into fixing it. How did you Manitou repair come out?)

Steve
    I need to upload some pics. Frank did a nice job.

Members who have read this thread: 0