• 01-05-2010
    First Flight
    Guess the bike, first MOMBAT score for 2010
    We'll start with a very small clue and add pictures from there. There aren't any complete pictures yet so there will be no cheating!

• 01-05-2010
    Rumpfy
    Looks like a semi-slick tire of some sort. Klein!
  • 01-05-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    based on the rim and the tire I'd say Breezer. And that I hate you guys.
  • 01-05-2010
    First Flight
  • 01-05-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    and I can tell that FFB or double century did not install the toe straps. :)
  • 01-05-2010
    First Flight
  • 01-05-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    and we know scant didn't install the cables...
    :lol:
  • 01-05-2010
    First Flight
  • 01-05-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by First Flight

bastards. now I'm sure of my guess.
  • 01-05-2010
    First Flight
    Last one:
  • 01-05-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    Quote:

Last one:

story please.
  • 01-05-2010
    Veloculture
    is that nickel plating? i hate you.
  • 01-05-2010
    stan lee
    Quote:

Last one:

What about the full body shot???
  • 01-05-2010
    yo-Nate-y
    If it is a nickle-plated Breezer, then I am glad found its way to MOMBAT rather than the hands of a collector, or worse, flipper.
  • 01-05-2010
    First Flight
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    based on the rim and the tire I'd say Breezer. And that I hate you guys.

Didn't have tires when we got it so I just stuck something on there to keep it off the ground. Nice guesswork though. Wanna guess series and serial no?
  • 01-05-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    Quote:

Didn't have tires when we got it so I just stuck something on there to keep it off the ground. Nice guesswork though. Wanna guess series and serial no?

Well, you got the right vintage with the tire it looks like. I'd say series II.
  • 01-05-2010
    First Flight
    Quote:

Well, you got the right vintage with the tire it looks like. I'd say series II.

That was the easy part. Serial number guess?
  • 01-05-2010
    stan lee
    Quote:

• 01-05-2010
    First Flight
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stan lee

Pretty damn close, 1/2 right.
  • 01-05-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    Quote:

I think I'll quit now while I'm ahead. ;)

I'd have to look at the numbers again to see how they go.
  • 01-05-2010
    First Flight
    Quote:

J.B.
    B(allooner) XX (year) XX(serial)
  • 01-05-2010
    stan lee
    Quote:

One of the best threads to date!!!!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ezer+series+II
  • 01-05-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stan lee
    One of the best threads to date!!!!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ezer+series+II

ah yes. I like that thread too.

ok, I'll take a stab at the SN then. B 82 13
  • 01-05-2010
    banks
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • 01-05-2010
    stan lee
    Quote:

ah yes. I like that thread too.

ok, I'll take a stab at the SN then. B 82 13

My guess is it's somewhere between 01 and 30 but not 29 and not 10?
  • 01-05-2010
    Rumpfy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y
    If it is a nickle-plated Breezer, then I am glad found its way to MOMBAT rather than the hands of a collector, or worse, flipper.

Nickle plated Breezers don't get 'flipped'.
  • 01-05-2010
    yo-Nate-y
    I dunno man. I wouldn't put it past someone who stumbled into one and realized how much it would make them.
  • 01-05-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    Quote:

I dunno man. I wouldn't put it past someone who stumbled into one and realized how much it would make them.

why are you anti-collector? a collector is typically very passionate for his object of desire and it also probably has a better chance of being fondled and ridden. :)

nothing against FFB of course, I just don't get the disdain you mentioned.
  • 01-05-2010
    yo-Nate-y
    If you sense disdain, maybe I am projecting my feelings about the art and antiquities markets onto mountain bikes, but I tend to prefer museums to private collections. Of course I recognize that private collections are often what (eventually) help to stock museums, and I am guilty of collecting a few items myself..... ;)
  • 01-05-2010
    sandmangts
    Quote:

It is nice that Mombat got it, they will preserve it and share it with others who can appreciate its history.
  • 01-05-2010
    mechagouki
    Are those Magura levers stock? I have an near identical set (but black blades) that came on an '88 bike - I had no idea they were so much older.

They say "Made in W.Germany" on them - that made me laugh.
  • 01-05-2010
    eastcoaststeve
    Every time FFB picks up another classic, a VRC angel gets it's wings.

Great job Jeff and Wes. :thumbsup:

Steve
  • 01-05-2010
    First Flight

These are pictures form the original owner. Once we get the tires, brake pads and rear derailleur changed out, we'll take some better pictures.
  • 01-05-2010
    Boy named SSue
    Quote:

These are pictures form the original owner. Once we get the tires, brake pads and rear derailleur changed out, we'll take some better pictures.

Wow, I just don't see you guys topping this for the rest of the year.
  • 01-05-2010
    First Flight
    Quote:

If you sense disdain, maybe I am projecting my feelings about the art and antiquities markets onto mountain bikes, but I tend to prefer museums to private collections. Of course I recognize that private collections are often what (eventually) help to stock museums, and I am guilty of collecting a few items myself..... ;)

I guess we are kinda in the middle. It is a "private" collection but it is on public display....for free. If it makes you feel better, we could charge you a couple of bucks to wander around:thumbsup:
  • 01-05-2010
    First Flight
    Quote:

This bike was offered to a couple of Portland area shops who could have made some serious $$$ if they knew what it was and the market value. Bad for them but great for us.
  • 01-05-2010
    MABman
    If that bike in fact came from OR you probably saved the previous owners life because 10 people fell off their bikes here last year and drowned:eekster:
  • 01-05-2010
    yo-Nate-y
    Quote:

This bike was offered to a couple of Portland area shops who could have made some serious $$$ if they knew what it was and the market value. Bad for them but great for us.

Indeed!
  • 01-05-2010
    tductape
    Great thread, Awesome find. I appreciate all the effort First Flight puts into their website and sharing info here on VRC. For a bike I will probably never see in person, what more can I ask for. I learn a lot when visiting their website, just like I have learned a little from this thread. Although, I have no idea how FB knew what he did with so little information (lucky guess)..

As always,
    Thanks for sharing,
    T
  • 01-06-2010
    Fillet-brazed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Although, I have no idea how FB knew what he did with so little information (lucky guess)..

As always,
    Thanks for sharing,
    T

I was 95% sure with just the first pic and the fact that Jeff called it a "score". I didn't know the tire was installed by FFB when I guessed, but that tire combined with the gold rim was all I needed.
  • 01-06-2010
    MERK26
    Wow. That`s in my "Top 5". Great addition to your collection! :thumbsup:
  • 01-06-2010
    crconsulting
    What a great bike!

Nice Score....
  • 01-06-2010
    stan lee
    Congrats Jeff!! That looks like an amazing bike and a good story behind it. I think you will have a hard time beating that one this year...
  • 01-06-2010
    First Flight
    Got all excited when there was an email in the ole Inbox asking if we were interested in another Breezer....... too bad it is a Beamer:skep:
  • 01-06-2010
    ssulljm
    [QUOTE=..... too bad it is a Beamer:[/QUOTE]

Now, Now..... be nice..
  • 01-06-2010
    gm1230126
    Quote:

I guess we are kinda in the middle. It is a "private" collection but it is on public display....for free. If it makes you feel better, we could charge you a couple of bucks to wander around:thumbsup:

Or maybe charge him a couple thousand to store his collection the rest of his life on earth as long as he agrees to will them to you when he dies:D
  • 01-08-2010
    First Flight
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Or maybe charge him a couple thousand to store his collection the rest of his life on earth as long as he agrees to will them to you when he dies:D

I'd settle for someone coming and airing up tires. When it gets cold, they all seem to go down faster. Let's see, 450 old bikes, 200 new bikes...........X 2 tires per bike.......X a couple of minutes per bike, probably should wipe it down at the same time so add a couple extra minutes.

Somebody not doing anything for about a month:madman:
  • 01-08-2010
    Linoleum
    Quote:

I'd settle for someone coming and airing up tires. When it gets cold, they all seem to go down faster. Let's see, 450 old bikes, 200 new bikes...........X 2 tires per bike.......X a couple of minutes per bike, probably should wipe it down at the same time so add a couple extra minutes.

Somebody not doing anything for about a month:madman:

You should Invest in those solid foam tubes until you need to ride them!
  • 01-09-2010
    First Flight
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Linoleum
    You should Invest in those solid foam tubes until you need to ride them!

We bought a bunch of those foam liners that Specialized sold. They used a 26 x 1 3/8" tube up inside them. Work pretty good but we only bought 10 sets of them and they were gone.
  • 01-09-2010
    ScottyMTB
    Wow that was fun.