mtbr member
    Jun 2011

GT Bravado Rebuild 1993

Here a few photos of my first XC bike which I bought in '93. It's a GT Bravado which has travelled with me for the last 18 years. I just completed a rebuild, only keeping the frame, seat post clamp and brakes. I was in the market for some XTR V brakes, but think I'll stay with the originals after-all.
    This bike is ideal for the roads around where I live in Phuket, Thailand; it feels very stiff and comfortable, and with a little luck I'm looking forward to another couple of decades use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Bravado Rebuild 1993-gt-bravado-1994-half-shto-01.jpg  

GT Bravado Rebuild 1993-front-brakes-01.jpg  

GT Bravado Rebuild 1993-gt-rear-brake-02.jpg  

GT Bravado Rebuild 1993-gt-seat-post-01.jpg  

GT Bravado Rebuild 1993-gt-01.jpg  

GT Bravado Rebuild 1993-before.jpg  

dirtbag
    Nice retro-mod there. Just needs a set of repro decals to finish it off.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks, and you might be right about getting some repro decals. Any idea where I might get some?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice job!!

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Thanks, and you might be right about getting some repro decals. Any idea where I might get some?
    I have a huge assload of GT decals, I buy them off eBay. Start there.

Gt decals | eBay
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Great lookin' GT you have! Thank you for sharing.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Try Velocals for frame decals. I just ordered a set for my 82 Stumpjumper

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Since the rebuild, I've used the bike quite often. I find it good for weaving through Phuket traffic, mainly using it as a road bike. A kind friend supplied me with some period V brakes and levers which look great.
    I think I might shorten the front shock to improve the geometry, but quite enjoy the twitchy steering as it is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Bravado Rebuild 1993-my-gt-bravado-rebuild-lr.jpg  

GT Bravado Rebuild 1993-xtr-brake-lever-lr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Geez that frame still looks nice.

There are a lot of GT's that have held up well over the years. Nice to see these old frames still getting some use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

nice job

Nice job on the rebuild. I have a '90 Karakoram that I am hoping to rebuild this summer (currently my winter commuting bike).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Bravado Rebuild 1993-purple-haze-karakoram.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Since the rebuild, I've used the bike quite often. I find it good for weaving through Phuket traffic, mainly using it as a road bike. A kind friend supplied me with some period V brakes and levers which look great.
    I think I might shorten the front shock to improve the geometry, but quite enjoy the twitchy steering as it is...
    I would go with a fork with 85 mm. maximum, 100 mm is too much for this frame. But I like the steep angle of horizontal tube! The bike is a beauty.

J3h
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Here a few photos of my first XC bike which I bought in '93. It's a GT Bravado which has travelled with me for the last 18 years. I just completed a rebuild, only keeping the frame, seat post clamp and brakes. I was in the market for some XTR V brakes, but think I'll stay with the originals after-all.
    This bike is ideal for the roads around where I live in Phuket, Thailand; it feels very stiff and comfortable, and with a little luck I'm looking forward to another couple of decades use.
    That is a beauty, great job!

Out spokin'
    Nice ol' bike. Curious if the Thomson post is oriented backward.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 20