mtbr member

Grab-On foam clones?

Hi everyone, long time no chat! Does anyone have any recommendations for replacing a pair of torn up Grip-On grips? (for a '88 Fisher Montare). I've found some Ritchey foam grips on eBay, but not sure they would look great. Thanks for any ideas! Best, Rich.
    Last edited by Linoleum; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:30 PM.

He be a moose too.
    You probably mean Grab-On grips. Mombat has/had some Grab-on Repros. You might contact them about these. They used the original foam composition, which was very stiff.

Mombat is in the process of liquidating everything, so you might contact them and ask or keep a close eye on what they're selling. I've gotten a specific item from them I wanted, you might have similar luck.

The ebay id for the sales is juls514 They aren't exactly putting a lot of effort into the sales in that they have terrible listings (i.e. a titanium stem is just labeled "bike stem"), so YMMV.

mtbr member
    Ha, yes Grab-on grips! Thank you very much for the Mombat lead, I'll track that seller down. That said, anyone interested in a 16" '88 Fisher Montare XT in minty condition. Its looking a little small for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    NOS Grab Ons show up on ebay from time to time. But I wouldn't stress too much about grips, get some Chiner foamers, I've got them on 2 bikes and I like them, super cheap and super light. I put them on with hairspray.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pair-Bike-...r=502069498281
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

He be a moose too.
    Any NOS Grab-Ons from ebay are almost certainly so hard as to be unusable and in some cases so rigid, you might not be able to get them on the bars without them cracking.

The ones from Mombat are repros that were made with the original foam. I pestered a guy at Grab-On for three years and he finally agreed to do a run of 100 grips and First Flight Bikes bought most of them. So these are only a few years old and still supple.

The foam used at Grab-On is better than anything I've seen elsewhere. If you're happy with the other grips, stick with them but if you're one who really liked them BITD, then get them while you can.