• 02-20-2010
    Everest30
    9 Attachment(s)
    Gary Fisher Grateful Thread
    Well, Gary Fisher started it so we all must be grateful for the founder of Mountain Biking.

I remember my first MTB, a Raleigh Maverick, it was a cross between what i was riding then, a tracker as we used to call them and a road bike with 10 gears. The Maverick was heavy and Raleigh had really lost the lead when it came to bikes. My tracker in comparison was a road frame with straight bars and single gear.

I lost the 'bug' for cycling.

I had always been a raod cyclist, as instilled from my father from an early age.

I still have the road bug, but prefer more tradtional bikes, as you can see from this posting.

My first real bike was a Major Nicholls, and I still have one to this day although very rare to find one of these now.

Getting back to the MTB, I bought a second hand Muddy Fox Pathfinder. I live in the real world and top of the range bikes were well out of the pocket for real people. We are talking Raleigh, Falcon etc. My brother (who worked in a cycle shop at the time) had bought a Claud Butler with Diore groupset. My Muddy fox was the managers own bike which he had replaced every component with XT and as such represented a bargain for me.

As old road cyclists we knew of many places we could go off road on our new found machines. In those days, there was no such thing as suspension, justy good riding techinique.

Many, many years later and I lost MTB completely. I'm not a mad fan of full suspension, all singing, all dancing machines as I remember the pioneer of them all, Gary Fisher, who took a standard frame andd beefed it up to take trial on the mountains.

Which brings me to my current bike, the Gary Fisher Grateful Dead. Not everyones cup of teas, I agree. It was only basically a paint job on a Hoo Koo E Koo, but nevertheless I am finding increasingly rare.

My brother told me to lend it to a bike museum and forget about riding it, because where would you find another one ?? But I love it....

If I could find another Muddy Fox Pathfinder, I would love that too (as mine was stolen).
  • 02-20-2010
    Boy named SSue
    Search the VRC forum for "Grateful Dead". There are a bunch of threads about those already. The only museum that matters has a cherry one (and they even dog it).

Ride it. It's just a hoo koo e koo with a paint job, not really collectible. Not really that scarce or valuable so don't worry about taking it to the dirt.
  • 02-20-2010
    Everest30
    Ride it. It's just a hoo koo e koo with a paint job, not really collectible. Not really that scarce or valuable so don't worry about taking it to the dirt.[/QUOTE]

It may be only a Hoo Koo E Koo with a paint job (but its not a paint job. It's special vinyl wrap.) But if you wanted one.......where would you get one??

I think they made 1000???? and sold 500. In the world....

most production bikes are made by robots and the bits they assemble on them are made by robots. Where on earth would you find another one of these?

It should be in a museum.....but I still ride it. Worried about replacement tyres though, cause I can't find any this colour anymore. I already replaced the original Tioga Phycos with Michelin Wildgripper, but now I can' find any of these. If I used the bike off road, it would be sacreligeous to ruin those graphics!
  • 02-20-2010
    Repack Rider
    I met Gary in 1971, when I saw two long-haired riders on beautiful bikes, the first time I had seen that many nice bikes together, and the first time I saw other cycling hippies. We recognized in each other kindred spirits and stopped to introduce ourselves. It turned out that the G-man was tight with The Dead and his riding companion played in a band with Garcia, called The New Riders of the Purple Sage.

Fifteen minutes later we were in the conference room on the third floor of the Grateful Dead office at Lincoln and Fifth Avenue in San Rafael, smoking fatties with Marmaduke and Torbert of the New Riders and listening to an unreleased recording. Garcia showed up while we were there, and joked that we wouldn't be seeing him on a bike any time soon. Quite the intro, and then things got freaky. I'll put the story in the book I have yet to get around to writing.
  • 02-20-2010
    mechagouki
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Everest30

It should be in a museum.....!

One is, and that's more than enough.

There's a pretty special mongoose on here somewhere that will definitely appeal to you, be sure to search for it.
  • 02-20-2010
    ssulljm
    Always enjoyed time w the "blue" tanks stored in the closets on the 2nd+3rd floor at the SR office....

Now about that GF GD bike.....awwww...nevermind...My short term memory has kicked in,or..er...out...I think

Quite the intro, and then things got freaky. I'll put the story in the book I have yet to get around to writing.[/QUOTE]
  • 02-20-2010
    kikaha
    neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed some better pics. :madmax:
  • 02-20-2010
    XR4TI
    Quote:

But if you wanted one.......where would you get one??

Ebay.
  • 02-21-2010
    Boy named SSue
    Quote:

I think they made 1000???? and sold 500. In the world....

If this is tru, here is no better argument that yours does not need to be in a museum.
  • 08-07-2014
    Co-opski
    2 Attachment(s)
    Single speed and half fat Yup I ride mine.
    Attachment 914018
    Attachment 914019