Frame decal repro/replacement- Mtbr.com
    Ilsa

Frame decal repro/replacement

1. In the photo below, is the "MANITOU" script a decal, paint, or what?

2. How can I find out the type face or font of the script?

Frame decal repro/replacement-manitou1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I use this site that's pretty helpful for finding graphic files for logos & brands. I already looked up "answer" and "manitou" and they're both there. You should be able to download the logo and find someone local with a vinyl cutting machine to make you a decal, paint mask, or whatever you'd need to replicate the original. Just type in what you're looking for and make sure the button for "thumbnails" is checked. Hope it helps.

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/
    - Jeff

mtbr member
    I'd try asking Manitou.

Ilsa
    That website is pretty cool, but I could only find current Manitou and Answer Products brand logos, nothing else.

I just emailed tech support at Manitou. I don't expect any replies, so I'll follow up with a call tomorrow. I didn't really try that route at the beginning because I doubt they'll have anything.

pm pete_mcc at retrobike.co.uk and ask how he had them drawn up.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    That doesn't look like the same logo/script I had on my Manitou FS way back in the day. My Manitou FS had a logo more like the one you'd find on the Manitou forks from the time, and there was definitely an indivication of the frame model designation ("FS") on it.

You might want to contact Gil_M on the Retrobike forums (or via his email: [email protected])...I just snagged some awesome decal sheets from him for my ProFlex 956LE.

On the 956 I already had the frame redone by a local guy by the time Gil got back to me...it's a polished frame, but the only one to which ProFlex applied a clearcoat at the factory...I wanted the clearcoat as well, so the guy...

- removed the few remnants of the old clear coat
    - repolished the frame
    - clear powdercoated it
    - airbrushed on very close but not perfect reproductions of the original graphics
    - clearcoated it again

I'm very pleased with the results, but if I ever need it redone I'll use the decals from Gil.

- Doug

Ilsa
    Good referrals. I already contacted pete_mcc who referred me to Gil_M and am now awaiting a response.

I do realize there were about 4 different Manitou logo scripts. I'm not doing a purist rebuild. It's more of a retro-mod theme. I'm even thinking about having the round tubes shot peened (or media blasted to a dull satin finish) and the rear CNC'd triangle re-polished and everything clear powdercoated. With that said, that was my favorite logo for the shot peened/satin finish look. The bike will have a Manitou fork and the components (TBD) will primarily be black anodized or CF. Hopefully that paints a better picture. That garrish Answer logo won't do.

If I can't acquire the decal, I'll definitely do what you did by painting. I think that would actually turn out better, but I'm checking on the decal first.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Cyclart has quite a few. They actually had originals for an 86 Jamis Dakar. They make and print their own on site and they are spot on.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Members who have read this thread: 0