Found a '92 Stumpy Comp - need some fork advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Found a '92 Stumpy Comp - need some fork advice

Hey all!

A local co-op that I volunteer for has a hot pink '92 Specialized Stumpjumper in their pile and I'm trying to work on a deal to buy it. Nice bike...XT running gear., shifters, etc. However, it has a suspension fork on the front that I suspect is probably dead. I'm not sure this model ever came with a suspension fork, and so I'd probably want to look for an original direct drive fork for it.

So, couple of questions. First of all, is the bike worth the hassle to track down an original rigid fork for it?

Second, are all direct drive forks created equal? Are they all the same or are there different performance levels to them, like different tubing thicknesses and weights?

I'm assuming the bike has a 1" headtube, which would make a decent front suspension upgrade difficult, but it is a little out of my realm and I thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks for any help and info you can provide!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I think the comp's were all rigid from the factory. At least one model, the S works one I think, came with a 50mm suspension fork. I believe it was recalled because people were blasting the stanchions through the crown, which at speed is not so desirable...

Do you have a picture of it? If it's running a mag21 or some others, you may be able to revive it with minimal difficulty. But, it's still likely going to be a very low end fork.

Also, I don't think I'd be throwing down a premium for this. $100 - $200 at most unless the front fork is a gen 1 SID or something else worth some money. I know people like to price them based on their own nostalgia for the bike, but these aren't rare and there's not much of a market for older 26in bikes anymore.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yep, here ya go. Photos are not great. Part of this is me wanting to just save the thing and appreciate it for the fine bike that it is, when it blends in with a lot of lower quality bikes. The co-op also has another one just like it, Prestige frame, with LX components in a matte gray color (still suspension fork).

I'd eventually want to find a Direct Drive fork for it, but maybe I can have some fun with it in the meantime. The fork looks like a Rock Shox, machined crown, tan lower.

mtbr member
    The direct drive forks varied, and finding a match for this Comp isn't going to be easy. That said, I'm envious you have chance to pick this up, I certainly would. I don't have a Comp in my garage, it was stolen years ago.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    These bikes have definitely piqued my interest. I'll try to get pics of the other one, as I'm going to swing by the shop today.

An interesting, yet sad story - I have volunteered at another shop (non-profit, volunteer run) that is part of a larger organization where bikes are not their main gig. They help folks with cognitive disabilities by giving them something to do by wrenching on bikes. The skillset however it a bit limited, so when they find a bike or a bike-related problem they cannot understand, the pull whatever parts they can (wheels, seat + post, maybe brakes) and scrap the rest. Unfortunately, they had a PDG Paramount and a Stumpy that I remember seeing there a while back and the next time I came both were gone. Turns out both were scrapped. I'm not sure why, maybe it was a slow day. But yeah, trying to save these bikes is a bit of a passion for me. Definitely doesn't do my garage any favors, however!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have that same frame and am looking for that same rigid front fork.

My research led me to belive that in that time range (late 80s to mid 90s) Rockhopper and up frames used the same forks, so that will be my path forward. I have an 89 stumpjumper team frame too with the pearl white color and aftermarket fork too, I think that color will be really difficult to match when I find a fork for that one.

FWIW my 92 has this fork, which sort of matches your description above. It's branded specialized.

Found a '92 Stumpy Comp - need some fork advice-screen-shot-2019-04-10-10.33.21-am.jpgFound a '92 Stumpy Comp - need some fork advice-screen-shot-2019-04-10-10.33.01-am.jpg

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Here's the recall in case you want to see it:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1994/19...forks-recalled.

I can't tell from the picture but they describe how to identify them in the link. Both of these forks match the specialized brain forks which are different from Q21, Mag 21, and Judy, which all came in the same color at some point. I believe I've read they are closer to the Mag 20's, but they're going to be tough to service these days IMO.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by terry.mc View Post
    I have that same frame and am looking for that same rigid front fork.

My research led me to belive that in that time range (late 80s to mid 90s) Rockhopper and up frames used the same forks, so that will be my path forward. I have an 89 stumpjumper team frame too with the pearl white color and aftermarket fork too, I think that color will be really difficult to match when I find a fork for that one.

FWIW my 92 has this fork, which sort of matches your description above. It's branded specialized.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 10.33.21 AM.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	319.1 KB 
ID:	1246349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 10.33.01 AM.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	1246350
    Wow, that is literally the same bike I saw in the yard, even down to the same size! And to see what looks like the exact same fork on it leads me to believe that this was a specific model, but not one that I have found in the catalog or brochure.

Can you tell me anything more about the fork? And I'm assuming it is a 1" steerer?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureManCO View Post
    Can you tell me anything more about the fork? And I'm assuming it is a 1" steerer?
    I don't know much at all about it, other than what I really want is the rigid instead of this one. When I bought the Stumpjumper Team this bike was part of the deal.

I haven't measured, I assumed a 1" steerer, but It hink I read elsewhere that this is a 11/8th. While looking for details on the fork I came across this article, which seems to show Ned's 92 frame (much different) with a very similar fork.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ned-ov...alized-m2.html

mtbr member
    The DD fork came out in '88 originally, and it sucked. I bent mine in three weeks after buying a RH Comp They are different from the early 90s versions, the '89 looks identical to the 88 but is thicker I believe and holds up better. The 90 Team had an altogether different one than the late 80s also.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    The DD fork came out in '88 originally, and it sucked. I bent mine in three weeks after buying a RH Comp They are different from the early 90s versions, the '89 looks identical to the 88 but is thicker I believe and holds up better. The 90 Team had an altogether different one than the late 80s also.
    i have a DD fork w/1in steerer (originally) in color red. Donīt know if came from a rockhopper or stumpjumper. Itīs a very good fork, supple and tracks well.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hmm, so can anyone confirm if the '92 steel hardtails had 1" steerers?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureManCO View Post
    Hmm, so can anyone confirm if the '92 steel hardtails had 1" steerers?
    If I were you I'd assume 11/8 unitl you can pull it and measure for yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My 93 is a 1" Outside measurement of the head tube is 32.6mm. Quil diameter 22mm

From the pics though, that certainly could be 1-1/8" tough to say

Not sure if I remember correctly but I think remember reading that the suspension fork stumpies of the time had 1-1/8" head tubes, ones with rigid forks were 1" for a time, probably getting rid of inventory from the industry shift to 1-1/8"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Found a '92 Stumpy Comp - need some fork advice-new-green-bits1.jpg  

83 Ritchey Everest
    88 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My '92 Stumpy (DX) rigid and a '93 Stump (LX) rigid I had both fit 1" stems. I don't know if the suspension model was different.

-bustin punks
    I have a black 395mm axle to crown tange unicrown fork with a 1" unthreaded steerer that would work if you can confirm the size.