Father and Son ride is now the Son and Father ride.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Father and Son ride is now the Son and Father ride.

In the mid 90's while I was in college I got my dad into mountain biking. He absolutely loved it and it was something we would do together when I had free time from school. I gave him my old bike when I built my current bike. He eventually bough his own bike and I gave him my old Vector 2 and put some brake boosters and Kool Stops on his bike to really give him some stopping power. I graduated in the late 90's and by the early 2000's never had much time to ride any more. My bike sat unused in my garage for years. My dad continued to ride until a bad back caused him to give it up entirely. His bike too sat unused in his garage. He tried to give it away but the seat post was corrosion welded to the frame.

Eventually I had a son and now that he's turned 10 he's really gotten into Biking the past few months. He has a rigid 24" Diamondback Hybrid bike he's been riding for the last couple of years I outfitted with LX rapid Fire plus shifting and put a old triple crank on the front to give him lower gearing. He's been dying for a new "real mountain bike" with real suspension. He's about an inch short from really fitting on the smallest sized 27.5" bikes so I told him he needs to just keep on the 24" until he gets big enough we can get him on a 27.5".

We went to spend a week with my parents and my dad told him he could have his bike but he would need to get the seatpost unstuck. 6 hours later we finally got the post out. I had to to some brake work as he was missing a brake pad (It's been 20 years but I don't miss working on Canti brakes). I pulled some old Coda Canti brakes out of my stash of parts (No son you can't have my Paul's Crosstop II's) repacked some hubs and now it's in good riding condition. He seems to fit on it just find, the fork is way too stiff for him so I'm going to see if I can find a lighter weight spring but he's living it so far. The bike that once allowed me to ride with my father now allows me to ride with my son.

His: Raleigh M50 w/ Girvin Vector 2
    Mine: Wheeler 5900 w/ Girvin Crosslink Pro Carbon

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Father and Son ride is now the Son and Father ride.-s27xzna.jpg  

-DeoreDX

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing!!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Great story.

We're probably similar aged and the story you told is one I wish I'd be able to tell.

mtbr member
    Awesome...enjoy it!!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Not quite as interesting bikes but my teenager and pulled a VRC day. I was getting some grief about doing something with my 91 Schwinn Sierra that I recently resurrected from a family members shed. My teen was up for trading out on an easy ride with my '14 Giant Anthem. We both got to experience the difference 25 year of bike tech can do. He was still faster than me on the old Sierra though

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk