Fat Chance question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fat Chance question

Ive come across a custom mtb frame by Chris Chance built in 87. Im not very familiar with Fats as there never seemed to be too many on the west coast, but this ones got a gusset under the downtube that connects to the headtube. Did that make sense? I looked through a few fat chance pics and havent noticed this on other frames. If anyone remembers the older Haro gussets it kinda looks like that.

Does anybody know anything about this? Is this gusset normal for that time period?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Ive come across a custom mtb frame by Chris Chance built in 87. Im not very familiar with Fats as there never seemed to be too many on the west coast, but this ones got a gusset under the downtube that connects to the headtube. Did that make sense? I looked through a few fat chance pics and havent noticed this on other frames. If anyone remembers the older Haro gussets it kinda looks like that.

Does anybody know anything about this? Is this gusset normal for that time period?
    i think there is nothing special about this gusset. my fatīs (89 - 93) have this kind of gusset shown on the right. the left one is from a 93 titanium fat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rasaldul; 01-27-2004 at 03:24 PM.

Jan 2004

do you mean this type of gusset?

This is a wrap around type gusset that was on Haro BMX bikes years ago. It is vertical and wraps around the head tube. I remember Fats with a simple spoon type gusset shown in the pictures above.
    Last edited by ssmike; 08-19-2006 at 08:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Yes, more like that. I'll get a pic on here a bit later. Hmm, so it sounds like its something different from the norm.....

mtbr member
    The old Haro mtbs had that too. Ive actually got one if anyone is interested. Im probably just gonna throw it away. Its been repainted, it looks like a spray can job, its pretty bad. I think it was their top of the line model. It had full 1987-88 Deore XT on it.

Jan 2004

here's an '84 Fat but no gusset

Check out this link. There is an 84 FC, but you can't see that type of gusset. http://www.absolutebikes.com/museum.html

Westend Bike shop in Houston has a nice collection of old bikes but I can't find any photos of them on their site http://www.westendbikes.com/fsweall.html

Might be worth an e-mail to Independant Fabrications to see if anyone there can ID your frame.

Very different from the norm. Haro is the only one off the top of my head who did a gusset like that. I'm sure there are others. What are some of the other details on the frame like?

Jan 2004
    Yes, more like that. I'll get a pic on here a bit later. Hmm, so it sounds like its something different from the norm.....
    A picture would be good...can you get the serial number as well? It should be under the BB shell. What do the chainstays look like?
    Echoing the other folks, none of my Fats have a gussett like the Haro.

rick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat chance guy
    A picture would be good...can you get the serial number as well? It should be under the BB shell. What do the chainstays look like?
    Echoing the other folks, none of my Fats have a gussett like the Haro.

rick
    Dont have the serial number yet. But heres a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jan 2004

Looks really familiar

That gusset looks really familiar. Can't seem to place it, though. I almost want to say some early 90's Salsa ala cartes had a similar gusset, but can't remember for sure. My 80s ala carte is fillet brazed. When Ross brought back the ala carte in the early 90s it was tig welded and I seem to recall it had a gusset that was similar.

There are other things to check to find out if the frame is, first, hand made or maybe more mass produced. If there is a crimp in the c/s that is deep and a bit cobby looking, I doubt it is from Fat or even Salsa. Most of these builders use a c/s that is ovalized rather than deeply crimped. Off-shore made frames typically have deeply crimped chainstays. It looks like that photo is crimped pretty deep - correct me if my eyesight sucks. Post some detail shots of the frame like the seat collar area, head tube, bb shell, dropout...

Illuminati
    Djuc has an older salsa ala carte that has that style gusset. so maybe it is a salsa?

ta

scant

Jan 2004

Fat Chance?

Dont have the serial number yet. But heres a pic.
    Thanks for the photo. I can't see anything obvious in the picture, close-ups would help. The chainstays, gusset, dropouts, etc. I assume that the head tube is 1", what size is the seatpost? Is the BB a press-in unit? The rear brake bridge looks Fat, but other builders may have used something similar. In 87 most Fats used a u-brake, but it was not the only option.
    Who told you that Chris Chance made the bike in 87?

rick

mtbr member
    well, it was made by Chris for the Mongoose team back then. It never had Fat stickers on it.

artistic...

you hit the jack pot

well, it was made by Chris for the Mongoose team back then. It never had Fat stickers on it.
    it may be a tomac frame. made for john tomac when he rode for mongoose. maybe his first race bike. tomac just sold his bike stuff and it wasn't for peanuts...

Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    it may be a tomac frame. made for john tomac when he rode for mongoose. maybe his first race bike. tomac just sold his bike stuff and it wasn't for peanuts...
    YUP, STRONG PROBABILTITY! check this out:
    http://www.singletrackworld.co.uk/article.php?sid=1260

Jan 2004
    Just about to say that is the ex-Tomac Fat/Mongoose, my a la Carte does indeed have the same type of gusset, apparently its an '87, but thats to be confirmed....

Ta, Djuc