early to mid-90's Paul Crosstops- Mtbr.com
    This place needs an enema

early to mid-90's Paul Crosstops

Anyone holdin'?

I'd love to buy/barter a set of these brakes, preferably in black. If you have a set (or many) that you'd like to part with, please drop a line to mikec at bwn dot net.

Other colors ok, but I'd prefer black.

Thanks,

MC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Witty McWitterson
    I just bought a set for $50 off of eBay. And you can't have them! I've been looking for them for a long time too. For some reason, they're pretty sought after. I've always thought they were a pain to set up, but I'm willing to have that in trade for my project. I thought you posted on the old board that you had some? Or are you simply looking for more?
    Just a regular guy.

*******!

Just kidding. Glad to hear you scored a set. I need one more wheel worth to finish up my cx bike. I know they're out there, and I know folks will part with them as most of them are simply sitting unused in spare parts bins and boxes. It's just a matter of time.

Should you see any more on eBay, please let me know.

Post a pic of your project when you get it done.

MC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey man,
    you probably already know this, but there is a version of this brake that is still in production. it's called the strange brake and is available at peterwhitecycles.com. it uses v-brake pads instead of the smooth post ones (which i think are better if you know how to set them up), and the linkage bar is made from an old spoke.
    great brakes, though, those crosstops, esp when paired up with a shimano slr plus lever and a good booster.
    tim

Witty McWitterson

Thar she is! all set up and ready to ride. Feels good in the stand with a set of NOS SS-7's. I've also got a set of SLR's that I can throw on the bike for a change.
    Just a regular guy.

Jan 2004

I might have a set

I might have a set or two of these. Might also have a set of the IRD version. If you are interested, let me dig throught my box of old stuff over the weekend and I'll post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    wow, sweet-looking brake. i have one just like it at home that i used as a front brake on my trials bike for a long time. i ran another crosstop on a bike with a ritchey 2.35" tire, and sometimes the clearance looked tight- it certainly does in that pic.
    you said you have a set of slr levers- if you mean slr plus, the ones with the rolling cam inside, then i think i would be remiss if i didn't mention how much better crosstops have worked for me in the past when used with such a lever. it almost doubles the rim clearance, and does wonders for stopping power at the same time. one of my favorite brake combos.
    i'll stop now.
    tim

Yes!

pleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpl easeohplease

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I think I can outdo ya for strange looking brakes....

Westpine Scissors Brake, wish I owned a second one to put on the back of my stratos, but then, I got an original Westpine Triple Alignment Cantilever there.

Jan 2004

Here's a set of Paul's in black and a few extras

The brake collection, for the most part, was an attempt to slow down my Ibis Uncle Fester tandem. When all was said and done, the new (at the time) Shimano LX v-brake with WTB dual compound pads by far worked the best. I'm now on a custom tandem with Avid discs and it's amazing the stopping power compared to these old brakes.

Witty McWitterson

Strange brakes on eBay

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...category=42331

not mine, nor do I know the seller.

ssmike, about the WTB's you've got there...do you have all the parts? I've got a set that is only missing one tensioner piece and I can use them. I've emailed WTB and they don't have parts anylonger. I can take a pic of the peice if you want.

marty
    Just a regular guy.

Jan 2004

might have the parts

ssmike, about the WTB's you've got there...do you have all the parts? I've got a set that is only missing one tensioner piece and I can use them. I've emailed WTB and they don't have parts anylonger. I can take a pic of the peice if you want.
    marty[/QUOTE]

Marty, take a pic and e-mail it to me if you want. These are from a complete set (whole bike's worth and all the parts are present, just not shown). I might have a stash of some parts though and could set you up with what you need.

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Marty, take a pic and e-mail it to me if you want. These are from a complete set (whole bike's worth and all the parts are present, just not shown). I might have a stash of some parts though and could set you up with what you need.
    Here you go Mike. Hope these help you. I need the one that shows both sides of the tensioner.

Jan 2004

~martini~ I'll have to dig around

[QUOTE=~martini~]Here you go Mike. Hope these help you. I need the one that shows both sides of the tensioner.

~martini~ I'll have to dig around to check. At one time, I had a bunch of parts for these brakes. Are the brakes you have the ones made in the USA or in Taiwan?

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    ~martini~ I'll have to dig around to check. At one time, I had a bunch of parts for these brakes. Are the brakes you have the ones made in the USA or in Taiwan?
    I'm pretty sure they're the US version. The spring goes in the front of the brake, not the rear. If you have a spare part, I'd be eternally grateful.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    I'm pretty sure they're the US version. The spring goes in the front of the brake, not the rear. If you have a spare part, I'd be eternally grateful.

~martini~ Just checked my garage and the only thing I found was a set of the blue bands that held the posts to the arms. They are cracked - which is what happened to the 1st gen ones. Don't know why I have these still in my possession after about 10 years. Anyway, I couldn't find any of these babies in my garage, but I might have some at work. Send me an e-mail through the site next Friday. I'll be back and can check what I have.

Mike