• 09-18-2013
    theman101
    Does anybody know anything about a Sekai Mountaineer?
    Hey, I'm desperately looking for a bike on CL and just came across this. Looks like a decent bike but I've never heard of Sekai at all before. I found a little bit of information saying they were an old manufacturer out of Seattle but nothing besides that. If I'm looking for a basic commuter which could maybe be modified for some touring later on, does this look like a good deal?
  • 09-18-2013
    patineto
    No offense but that was a really crappy bike back in the day and still is..

You can do much better for a $100
  • 09-18-2013
    theman101
    That's kinda what I was expecting to hear. Also looking at this (SCHWINN HIGH SIERRA MOUNTAIN BIKE) Schwinn, looks like much better quality but the guy lives much further away so I'll have to figure out how to get down there :(
  • 09-18-2013
    patineto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by theman101 View Post
    That's kinda what I was expecting to hear. Also looking at this (SCHWINN HIGH SIERRA MOUNTAIN BIKE) Schwinn, looks like much better quality but the guy lives much further away so I'll have to figure out how to get down there :(

Wow good find, but in this case it will be a shame to use it as a commuter bike..
  • 09-18-2013
    theman101
    I plan to set it up as a touring bike before this next summer, too :)
  • 09-18-2013
    Boy named SSue
    I had a Sekai Mountaineer as my first bike and it was pretty crappy. It cost $300 back in the day and isn't worth $30 today even in perfect condition. In one year I managed to break or bend everything on it.
  • 09-19-2013
    MendonCycleSmith
    I'd buy that Sekai in a heartbeat as long as it came with the fish......

WTF? :)