Do you think there should be a vintage section to the classifieds...- Mtbr.com
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

Do you think there should be a vintage section to the classifieds...

now that there's actually a vintage discussion forum?

Might save folks who want classic stuff from rooting thru all the other sections.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight

Might save folks who want classic stuff from rooting thru all the other sections.
    I'd be for it. I'm sure I'd use it a lot.
    I can't say how much traffic it would see....It's tough to estimate the percentage of classic items that make their way into the current classifieds. I check the mtbr classifieds several times a day and I tend to see very little...
    Of course, a dedicated buy/sell/trade vintage only classifieds may change the trend.

Is it plausible...I can't say. Would I vote for one...yep!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Jan 2004
    Damn right, that would be very good, I would certainly use it..... as long as people didnt mind posting to Europe, we have a lot of stuff over here and a lot of people who are into the retro movemen

Quote Originally Posted by Djuc Wun
    Damn right, that would be very good, I would certainly use it..... as long as people didnt mind posting to Europe, we have a lot of stuff over here and a lot of people who are into the retro movemen
    I've sold to 40 or so countries myself. Which reminds me, I should add euro to my paypal account.

resident crackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight

I think that's a DAMN fine idea! Another vote here.

VRC Illuminati

Regarding a Vintage Specific Classifieds

So we kicked the idea around with the powers that be and we came to the conclusion that a Vintage, Retro, Classic specific classifieds just wouldn't be realistic.
    As much as I'm sure we'd all use it to death (myself included), the percentage of us looking to sell stuff vs. the rest of MTBR classifieds users and browsers is negligible by comparison.
    Gregg had a great example for this.
    Right now I'm selling a Tioga Tension Disc. I put it in the 'wheelsets' section. If there was a classifieds section as well...I'd lose traffic due to people looking one place and not the other. Otherwise I'd have to list it in more than one category just to make up for lost hits. The seller would have to spend twice as much to get the same number of hits...

I have a feeling that we Vintage, Retro, Classic forum users tend to buy, sell, trade more than the average MTB'er. That being the case, letting other VRC regulars know of stuff you have up for sale is ok as long as there is a corresponding MTBR classified ad for it. Links directly to eBay will be deleted, but links to MTBR classifieds that link to eBay are ok.
    I think this will keep things simple and is fair for everyone.

If any of it is in question, feel free to PM me.

All good?

As another few examples:
    Stumpjumper Epic
    Tioga Tension Disc
    1" Rock Shox Mag 21
    -eric-

mtbr member

I hate to be the complainer

It seems like I'm always the one not happy with the system...

Anyway, unless the "sort" function in the classifieds works what's the difference? I tried to look through RBR.com for a 59cm bike, but since the sort function does not work, I gave up and stopped using the classifieds.

Will there ever be a time when the "(Tip: Click on the column headers to sort your results by that criteria)" acutally does what it says it will do? (other than date posted)

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    It seems like I'm always the one not happy with the system...

Anyway, unless the "sort" function in the classifieds works what's the difference? I tried to look through RBR.com for a 59cm bike, but since the sort function does not work, I gave up and stopped using the classifieds.

Will there ever be a time when the "(Tip: Click on the column headers to sort your results by that criteria)" acutally does what it says it will do? (other than date posted)
    That's another issue all together.
    I never bother to sort when looking or upgrade to bold or other additional placement when posting for that same reason.
    I'll either check the most receint ads or perhaps search by category, but not bother to sort.

Are you asking 'what's the difference' regarding posting in the forum or bothering to post in the classifieds?
    -eric-

mtbr member

I know, I know

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Are you asking 'what's the difference' regarding posting in the forum or bothering to post in the classifieds?
    No, I understand that eBay ads don't belong here. I was saying that it does not matter what you do in the Classifieds because since they can't reasonable be sorted or searched, people like me will never use them. Luckily you and Augi forward links to ads that I might care about. Unless you view the ads regularly, they do not function in a usable manner (much like the new boards, by the way). But I'll save my ranting on poor user experience for the web site that I get paid to work on, which incidently is equally frustrating. Oh well...

Dec 2003

Maybe another day....

I really like the idea. I understand the pro's and con's. But I look several times a day at the MTBR ad's for vintage stuff and try to beat Eric to it in the Bay area....

Eric, I am in Fremont, where are you located?

JS

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    No, I understand that eBay ads don't belong here. I was saying that it does not matter what you do in the Classifieds because since they can't reasonable be sorted or searched, people like me will never use them. Luckily you and Augi forward links to ads that I might care about. Unless you view the ads regularly, they do not function in a usable manner (much like the new boards, by the way). But I'll save my ranting on poor user experience for the web site that I get paid to work on, which incidently is equally frustrating. Oh well...
    Ah, now I'm with ya.
    When it gets down to it, eBay is the best way to go, no doubt. I check the classifieds several times a day so I'm not affected by it's shortcomings in quite the same way. I'd boycott too if it was my only avenue for the sale of my 'fine vintage parts'. For the $2, it's worth it to me as a cross listing tool to a concentrated user group. Although eBay listing fees are often less...
    Augi and I can spam you with stuff we find all day!
    If I could just find you a Slingshot...
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    I really like the idea. I understand the pro's and con's. But I look several times a day at the MTBR ad's for vintage stuff and try to beat Eric to it in the Bay area....

Eric, I am in Fremont, where are you located?

JS
    Which Eric? Laffeaux and myself are both South Bay Erics'.
    I'm in Los Gatos.
    -eric-

Oh well, I posted in various classifieds sections same as always. But the people rushing to the ads to respond seemed to involve mostly "I will contact my shipping agent who will bring check for..." scamers.