mtbr member
    Dec 2010

DBR Axis TT conversion into a 27.5 kinda gravel bike

Right, This was a tad hairy for my standars. I've converted several bikes to dirt drops but this time I wanted something more gravel specific. My beautiful Diamond Back Axis TT titanium frame definitely worth the effort. So I went for a relatively radical project and decided to change wheel size.

A tough call when you have canti brakes and no intention to get disc tabs welded.

Canti brakes... Well, I found out that Sunxcd, a brand owned by a former Suntour owner, made light 650b randonnee rims. I got them in Portugal, not cheap but not too costly either. Luckily I had some 240s lying around.

Then, I had to find some brakes. 28 inch wheel adapters for vbrakes do not work with 27.5 rims. They push the brake shoes too high. Actually, you can bring some vee brakes to work with 650b rims. My daughter's kid's bike's vees, to be honest, worked acceptably well. However, I found some Chinese stoppers with a bigger adjustment range. they were definitely worth the hassle. Brake levers are Tektro units for v brakes.

Tyres are 1.95 Vee Tyres Speedster, but I also have some 42mm Clement (now Donnelly) ready for use. Rubbers are tubeless ready, so I converted them and now I run 2 PSI front and rear.

Concerning the transmission, I went 1x10, with a middleburn crankset with a Coda Magic 39t ring mated with a 11-42 cassette. Shifting is accomplished via an XO MTB shifter, somehowed clamped to the MIdge bar. The stem is a 45 degrees item from China.

Well, in the end not a proper gravel bike, but I can join my friends on MTB rides while still being quite fast on roads or gravel paths (living in Tuscany, I have a remarkable range of strade bianche to choose from).

Basically, I just love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DBR Axis TT conversion into a 27.5 kinda gravel bike-dbr-res.jpg