• 01-11-2010
    bpeder
    Cunningham Design Roller Cam Rollers
    The '85 Ross Mt. Hood I won on an eBay auction must have sat for a long time. Now that I'm riding it and it's my winter commuter, The black plastic rollers are deteriorating. Cracking and chipping. These original rollers were recalled I think and replaced with brass rollers. Anyone know where to find them?

Cunningham himself seeded the WTB company and I'm going to ask there too. If I find any I'll post to this thread again. I might not be the only one who needs them. Lots of riders have suggested upgrading the brakes to a modern U style but I like the roller cams! Besides, I already own them...Thanks in advance for any replies!

PS: Dear moderators, if this thread would fit better in the Brake Time forum please move it. Thanks!
  • 01-11-2010
    Rumpfy
    Ya, keep the roller cams. Set up properly, they can't be beat.
  • 01-11-2010
    Rumpfy
    Oh...and I'd love to see how many people in the Brake Time forum know what a roller cam is. :p
  • 01-11-2010
    halaburt
    I suspect that if you look closely at your brakes you'll see that they are Suntours and not WTB's. Charlie Cunningham licensed the design for RollerCams to Suntour and a similar brake was produced by WTB -- a company in which Charlie was a partner.

There were several versions of the Suntour RollerCam offered over a number of years -- at various price (and corresponding quality) points. I wouldn't count on WTB being able to help with Suntour brakes today. WTB hasn't produced or sold their version of this brake in over 10 years.

So we can see and understand which exact model you have -- and how they are "deteriorating", it would be helpful if you could post a photo of your brake(s).

All that said, Rumpfy is (of course) correct to say that, properly setup and maintained, these are probably some of the finest rim brakes ever designed and produced.
  • 01-11-2010
    bpeder
    EeeYup
    They are definitely Suntours from the XC Sport group. They are the "dimpled arm" models. The damage so far is limited to one of the rear brake rollers. They look like little pulleys, and imagine one of the edges or side walls on one side of the pulley snapping off. It looks like someone sliced off a piece of just the crust of a pizza. They have to go. They can't be fixed so I don't know if a photo of the damage is going to help much. If the other wall of the roller goes too the cam will not be retained in place and the brakes will fail...

There are some Suntour XC parts at eBay and I bet they come and go. I'll keep checking. I don't know why, but I see single sets there now... You'd think that people would be auctioning off pairs if they are up-grading to modern style brakes that can fit those frame bosses.

As for WTB? It's my hope that they have old boxes of parts lying around like many LBSs will or like many of US do! :D I emailed and got an auto reply requesting that I call customer service. They sent the number so I'll call and see if I can't find a friendly associate who's willing to talk to the ogres inhabiting the parts room...

The JPEGs below are courtesy of a good lad from Bike Forums named Walt. These are my brakes and no others. Enjoy!

• 01-11-2010
    ckevlar
    If there were boxes of old crap you can be sure the other posters in this thread have already inquired or obtained said boxes. Contact this guy through ebay. He has the xc sport brake you need nos in the package. It wont be too much and it will come with the updated brass rollers.

I see i forgot the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D2

The guy above has your xc sport brake nos in the package. I bought a few pair a while ago for about 15-20 a set. They will come complete. Including new pads and even suntour rollercam braze ons. Good luck.
  • 01-11-2010
    halaburt
    It will be interesting to hear about your conversation with WTB. Realize that it will be a little like calling Porsche to ask if they happen to have a 25 year old gas cap for your VW Beetle -- based on the premise that both companies were selling air-cooled cars at the time that traced their lineage back to the same man.

The reason you see a good number of "single" RollerCams show up for sale is that many bikes from that era were sold with a RollerCam in the rear (on the chainstays) and cantilevers on the front forks. If people are selling these on eBay, it's not because they've upgraded to some modern replacement -- as their aren't any modern replacements that fit those brake studs.

Any of the Suntour RollerCams should work on your bike (you don't have to find the exact identical "Sport" model unless you're for some reason trying for a factory-perfect restoration (unlikely given the price point of that bike). If you remove the brake and carefully measure and analyze the pulley, you may be able to source a replacement pulley, but it would probably be a lot cheaper and easier to simply buy an new (or used) Suntour RC on eBay... and then take it to someone who knows how to properly set it up so the replacement isn't similarly damaged through use of the bike.
  • 01-11-2010
    tductape
    Sombody here on VRC has or had a bunch of those brass replacement rollers. I remember reading it in one of the archived threads while researching roller cam brakes. Hard to say how old the thread was, but I know I read it here.

Edit:Here it is:
    Try talking to Scooderdude. he had a hundred sets a couple of years ago.
    read post in this thread from 10/13/07:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...t%3Brollercams
  • 01-11-2010
    crconsulting
    Quote:

Originally Posted by halaburt
    It will be interesting to hear about your conversation with WTB. Realize that it will be a little like calling Porsche to ask if they happen to have a 25 year old gas cap for your VW Beetle -- based on the premise that both companies were selling air-cooled cars at the time that traced their lineage back to the same man.

He should be fine as long as he asks to speak to Patrick Seidler :p
  • 01-12-2010
    wesMAmyke
    I don't know if they are specifically for the WTB roller cams or Suntour or what...but I have a bunch of brass rollers and some brass/aluminum ones if anybody needs some.
  • 01-12-2010
    WTB-rider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crconsulting
    He should be fine as long as he asks to speak to Patrick Seidler :p

Yeah, that's just the guy he wants to speak to.
  • 01-13-2010
    muddybuddy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by halaburt
    -- as their aren't any modern replacements that fit those brake studs.

Thats not entirely true.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Proper-CNC-Magna...item56357bc247
  • 01-18-2010
    RobynC
    quote: "It will be interesting to hear about your conversation with WTB. Realize that it will be a little like calling Porsche to ask if they happen to have a 25 year old gas cap for your VW Beetle"

Actually I would say it's the other way 'round: calling VW to ask about a gas cap for your vintage Porsche! WTB is such a different company now. Even 10 years ago when I was looking for obscure parts, their standard response was "talk to Charlie." Who works there now who even knows about the "company elders?"