Crazy shipping cost.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Crazy shipping cost.

Heck, you could overnight this for less than $30:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Yeah... You could also buy a damn nice frame for that price, though not one that would have come with that brake originally.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    I've had sellers in the US try and charge me that much for a part that will fit in a bubble mailer (I'm in Toronto, Canada), apparently some people don't realise that the USPS website can be viewed by people outside the USA. $30 from Europe is probably about right if sent by air - assuming the brake in question is packaged in a way that reflects its value.
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

VRC Hound
    prices to Canada went up though. It stinks.

I Have Cookies
    Try living in Hawaii and dealing with customers that don't want to pay shipping....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

I'm just messing with you
    I'm always amused by the "doesn't come with" aspect of auctions - $800 but Scott Superbrake brakepads are not included
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    You want PITA shipping stories? Try shipping a non suspension frame to Israel, or any other country that saw fit to state that any package can be mailed to them, as long as it's at 79 dimensional inches, or less. You want to use the other standard cutoff of 108 dimensional inches? Well, you can ONLY use Global Express Guaranteed. So the frame that would have cost $190, ended up running $455. Yet countries within spitting distance, allow 108 to ship Priority International.

It's a racket, and some smarmy bastard somewhere is getting rich off it. Aemmer, I know it's not you getting rich, you're good in my book

And of course, with the USPS being SOOOO organized, it took more than 4 trips over several days, and several phone conversations to determine all of this, and the fact that it COULD actually ship, got a quote of $400, finally got the guy to agree to drop trou for the USPS/FedEx and it ends up costing $55 more, than the price I was quoted the previous day, by the same friggin guy, at the same damn counter. And true to form, though pleasant and willing to help, he couldn't explain how or why, so I bit the bullet, and paid it out of pocket.....

Why can't they just make it standard, this moving target on shipping size makes me want to kill people....
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Heck, you could overnight this for less than $30:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    I'm guessing the $30 shipping was small change compared to the $827 selling price. That's the insane part.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah, $30 from Germany doesn't sound that bad but Goddamn! $827 for a brake! Granted, a very rare and desirable brake, but still. That's nuts.

sftrydr
    [QUOTE=MendonCycleSmith]You want PITA shipping stories?

Just finished an ebay p-22 sale to a gent in Quebec.
    UPS was the final shipping outfit, as USPS doesn't ship anything over a combined measurement of around 108 ". The bike box, even cut down a bit, was around 118, any more and I risked frame damage...
    Paperwork at UPS was a bit more , triplicates and such for customs.
    Weighed in at 30 lbs total.
    Initial cost for me to ship: SF to Quebec- $85 which included the package being insured for $800

The kicker was the customs-brokerage fee's, which were assessed by the Canadian Customs office,and payable at delivery-pickup by buyer.
    They charged according to declared value, which, if you insure the item, is garnered from that declaration.
    shipping- $85
    customs-brokerage fee- $189

Moral of the story:
    They get ya comin n goin....welcome to capitalism at it's best...

ups and downs
    It's always worth considering that the shipping cost would likely include the shipping box or materials and time it takes to package it up and get it to a shipping location.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    [QUOTE=ssulljm]
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    You want PITA shipping stories?

Just finished an ebay p-22 sale to a gent in Quebec.
    UPS was the final shipping outfit, as USPS doesn't ship anything over a combined measurement of around 108 ". The bike box, even cut down a bit, was around 118, any more and I risked frame damage...
    Paperwork at UPS was a bit more , triplicates and such for customs.
    Weighed in at 30 lbs total.
    Initial cost for me to ship: SF to Quebec- $85 which included the package being insured for $800

The kicker was the customs-brokerage fee's, which were assessed by the Canadian Customs office,and payable at delivery-pickup by buyer.
    They charged according to declared value, which, if you insure the item, is garnered from that declaration.
    shipping- $85
    customs-brokerage fee- $189

Moral of the story:
    They get ya comin n goin....welcome to capitalism at it's best...
    UPS are particularly bad for gouging you on customs brokerage fees - it actually hurts more on cheaper items - the UPS fees can often be more that the actual taxes levied by the Canada gov't. Canada customs charge sales tax on anything over $20 in value (I think US customs charge on items over $200 for stuff going south). I think it pretty outrageous having to pay tax on used items, but hey, at least I can complain about the gov't in print without worrying about whose reading!
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

mtbr member
    I get lots of people from Australia and other 79" countries that ask for quotes that go 285-450 for global expediated mail. On six ocassions I've asked them if they or someone they know is traveling in the US and could take it back and have shipped to a point in the US were the buyer or an acquaintance received the item in the US and took it back on the plane with them at substantial savings. If it's a smaller part you can't beat the small and medium size priority flat box mail rate internationally. A brake like that could be shipped globally in a small flat rate box for $12.95...that's to any country in the world. USPS is still the best bargain out there. The reason the rates are so high to some countries is because the customs are paid upfront as part of the postage expense. The counties with the 79" USPS limits must be delivering mail in Yugo's or Fiat's
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Stokeless Asshat
    [quote=rockyuphill]It's always worth considering that the shipping cost would likely include the shipping box or materials and time it takes to package it up and get it to a shipping location.[/quote

I see that as one of the costs of doing business.

J
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Strangelove
    Dec 2007
    I had a shock last month. I need a set of plastic cable guides for my Pace and as they are the same as early Cannondale I did a quick google search. A few phonecalls later revealed that everywhere over on this side of the pond sold out years ago. So I looked stateside and found a place in SoCal that sold them at 75 cents each. I ordered 6 online and filled out the shipping form. Now these little things would easily go in an envelope and weigh just a few grams each. Cost of shipping to the UK???

$73

No thanks!

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr S
    I had a shock last month. I need a set of plastic cable guides for my Pace and as they are the same as early Cannondale I did a quick google search. A few phonecalls later revealed that everywhere over on this side of the pond sold out years ago. So I looked stateside and found a place in SoCal that sold them at 75 cents each. I ordered 6 online and filled out the shipping form. Now these little things would easily go in an envelope and weigh just a few grams each. Cost of shipping to the UK???

$73

No thanks!

they probably use an automated shipping calculator - if the store has a phone number you should give them a call - real people tend to be a little more accomodating than internet 'bots.

Members who have read this thread: 0