A couple of FAT questions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. A couple of FAT questions...

Hi all,
    Here's my problem/questions. I've got what is supposed to be a late 90's Fat Yo Eddy. The serial number reads 727Y3ML (At least thats what i think it says, its kind of faint on the "3" and the "L") According to firstflightbikes this should be a '93 Yo. However, the frame boast a 1 1/8th headtube. Also, the frame takes a 27.0 seatpost. After reading about Fat's, I get the impression that they are supposed to have 29.4 seatposts.

Is this a real Fat? Thanks.

Clem

Jan 2004

Yo Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by rip.
    Hi all,
    Here's my problem/questions. I've got what is supposed to be a late 90's Fat Yo Eddy. The serial number reads 727Y3ML (At least thats what i think it says, its kind of faint on the "3" and the "L") According to firstflightbikes this should be a '93 Yo. However, the frame boast a 1 1/8th headtube. Also, the frame takes a 27.0 seatpost. After reading about Fat's, I get the impression that they are supposed to have 29.4 seatposts.

Is this a real Fat? Thanks.

Clem

Clem,

Judging by your serial number, yes this is really a Yo Eddy, Y for Yo and ML for Medium/Large. I would also guess 1993 due to the digit 3 and the fact that the M/L size did not show up until 1993, but this is only an educated guess. They were not always consistant with the serial numbers.
    As I do not have an early YO, I do not know if they all came with 1 1/8" headtube and 29.4 seatpost, but I would guess so. The 91 catalog is the earliest one that calls out the 29.4 but does not mention the head tube size. Are you certain about the seat post size?
    I'm certian that there are lots of folks out there with early Yos that can help with this and I can look through more of my stuff at home later.
    Post pictures if you can.
    Thanks,

rick

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fat chance guy
    Clem,

As I do not have an early YO, I do not know if they all came with 1 1/8" headtube and 29.4 seatpost, but I would guess so. The 91 catalog is the earliest one that calls out the 29.4 but does not mention the head tube size. Are you certain about the seat post size?

rick
    Hey Rick,
    Thanks for your response. I'm certain that it takes a 27.0 post. I had a 27.2 post at home lying around that would not fit (which i though was odd) so I took the frame to my LBS and a 27.0 slid in perfectly.
    After looking at some other Fat sites, my frame does have other Fat trademarks such as the Pizotie gusset in the back and the triangular headtube gusset as well as bullet chain/seatstay ends. Any other thoughts out there?

Clem

Dec 2003

I have a 1992 Yo Eddy

It has a one inch head tube. My serial number is 738Y2S. Seat tube is 29.4

Hope this helps

JS

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Bear in mind chris had been known to do oddball frames for specific customer requests. One of the advantages to ordering from custom framebuilders was you could specify changes if you wanted to pay extra. As I recall the fat I sold a few months back was a 27.2 post, and I also have a vague recollection from an old Canadian Cyclist buyers guide from the early 90s of a canadian only edition of FatChance frames that were designed by chris, but made in japan. As to the 1 1/8 bit, a friend of mine had the first year ShockABilly (the one with the Amp rear end) and it had a 1 1/8 headtube, and that was 1994 if I remember correctly.