Cool Old Trek- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cool Old Trek

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC

Cool Old Trek

Hate if you will ,............but bringing this one home put a big smile on my face:

The last time I saw one of these, I was a 23 year old dreamer standing in the local Trek dealer about to hand over every nickel I had for my 830. The 8900 was so far out of my league, but that didn't stop me from drooling all over it in the showroom...

Fast forward 20 years, and it may not be a shiny as it was then, and it definitely needs some love, but man, it brings back some great memories.

Steve

slow
    Well specc'd. I had a couple of set of those hubs, and really liked them. Are those Cooks or CBR cranks privately labeled as Trek / Matrix?

Love those pedals, too. Still have mine.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    I love the way it looks, probaly doesn't ride too great though. I noticed the cranks too - they certainly look like CBR's.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    WTF ? OEM cook cranks for trek ? I had no idea.

Steve, I also lusted after one of those, except I was around 15 at the time. A 930 of similar vintage was my first mtb.

VRC Illuminati
    Strip and flip special!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    No hate from me.
    I have a "newer" 15-year old OCLV Trek (9900) that is still a regular rider for me. It's the most expensive bike I've ever owned (I'm more frugal now than I was in the 90s) and puts a smile on my face every time it ride it. It finally got modernized with a shiny new Sid last year after going through several incarnations with forks that really weren't worthy of that frame.
    Though some here are neither fans of Trek nor carbon, that early bonded carbon Trek of yours is definitely VRC material in my book.
    Last edited by trailville; 01-20-2010 at 01:27 PM.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    American stem?
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    American stem?
    Beauty welds!

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Wow, that's crazy. I never saw those cranks, and I sold a lot of Treks BITD.....

American stem, dang, I agree with Rumpfy, strip 'n flip.

Nice haul
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Bird watcher
    CQP aka Cook's made the cranks for Trek. Nice score! I'd get rid of the QR's and replace them with some oem bolts for those hubs. Never understood why people would use qrs when the hubs could be bolt on. Looks like the only other things needed to be oem correct are right shifters and rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hang enough VRC parts off a TREK, and BAM!

Is the rear barake a Grafton as well? Looks purple...

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Any idea on who made the skewers? I've got a set and was wondering who made them. I've got matching purple ano bar ends and a seatpost collar too.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Looks like a 1990 model to me. Last year for the 1" steerer on the bonded MTBs.

No hate here, but I just threw up in my mouth a bit knowing the Suntour thumbies were replaced with what looks like (gasp!) Alivio shifters -- with gear indicators .

Kicker of Elves
    I think I remember those cranks also being available aftermarket, my brother in-law ordered a set as well as another riding partner. They were heavy but gave you CBR look.

Hey guys, nice to see so much love for the old dog....(or at least the parts that are hanging on it ).

Tempting strip and flip material, but after having it snap me back 20 years, I'd like to give it an honest ride to see what I would have been missing way back when, (besides, this one is actually my size ).

I'm leaning towards a good clean and resto, replacing a few parts, and putting it to the trails this summer...might get parted out later if the ride isn't what I expect

As far as the cranks go, the 1990 brochure lists them as "Matrix by G. Cook" with AJS chainrings.

http://www.vintage-trek.com/images/t...rek/90Trek.pdf

Some nice stuff...I love the bullseyes (my third set), the pedals seem really cool, and the welds on the stem make me warm and fuzzy.

Rear Grafton is gone, replaced by a purple Tektro , but at least I got the front one.

Shifters are gonna have to go...catalog calls for Suntour X-Press (?), but I think I have a pair of Suntour thumbies around somewhere.

I got the bike from it's original owner, (yes, I asked him if he has the rear Grafton, crank caps, shifters, etc hiding somewhere in his garage...he's looking for me...sure would be nice to get).

Funniest part is, seller included a Manitou fork that he ran back in the day. I was carrying it across the yard as we were talking. He mentioned an old Bianchi road bike that he had in the basement and offered to bring it up for me to see. When he got it to the yard, I noticed the Rolls saddle, and he said, "Good thing I brought the Bianchi out...this is the seat that goes with the Trek, (it had a nasty gel thing on it when I got there), and he swapped it out for me. Yeah.

In all the fuss, and excitement, I leaned the Manitou against his picnic table and didn't remember it until I was almost home (45 minutes too late, d'oh).

I've got a few ahead of this one, but it will definitely get some love soon...I'm a sucker for neon

Steve
    Last edited by eastcoaststeve; 01-20-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Bird watcher
    I'm with you Steve. Ride it first. Just because people say it sucks don't mean chit. CQP was Gary Cook of the famed brothers Cook.

artistic...
    i lusted for those 8900s... till i got my 8700.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    The $2 skewers are a nice touch

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    Looks like a 1990 model to me. Last year for the 1" steerer on the bonded MTBs.

No hate here, but I just threw up in my mouth a bit knowing the Suntour thumbies were replaced with what looks like (gasp!) Alivio shifters -- with gear indicators .

Alivio is a better working shifter than XPress.. hard truth. Plug your nose and say Alivio with a French accent... it makes it bearable.

-Schmitty-

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    Alivio is a better working shifter than XPress..
    I'll jump on the bashwagon. XPress is to date just about the worst functioning idea in shifterdom. Add to that the proprietary nature of the cable nut, and you can send these babies to the moon as far as I'm concerned.

No end to the bikes that still come in with them. Try convincing someone who barely wants a tune up, that they need new shifters, simply to replace their rusty cables. I've gotten pretty good with flattening cable nuts with a bench grinder
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Just in case you wanted to know what you're missing, here's a set of 6 speed X-Press shifters that I've been keeping around for a really special build, I cracked one of them open so you can see the precision engineering within - I particularly like the trouble free cable retaining system on these shifters, what with that and their 1/4lb plus weight I fail to understand why they don't get more love. Now I just need a NOS 820 frame to start a build that will really get people's attention around here.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki
    Just in case you wanted to know what you're missing, here's a set of 6 speed X-Press shifters that I've been keeping around for a really special build, I cracked one of them open so you can see the precision engineering within - I particularly like the trouble free cable retaining system on these shifters, what with that and their 1/4lb plus weight I fail to understand why they don't get more love. Now I just need a NOS 820 frame to start a build that will really get people's attention around here.

Ugh... bad memories. As i was riding my 930 home from the shop I was pissed at myself for not spending a few bucks more for the 950 with shimano lx.

mtbr member
    Cool bike! What's the vintage? 1991 maybe?
    How much did you pay?
    Here's your trivia question: What kind of tires are those? Page down for the answer.

Tioga
    Farmer Johns Cousins!

Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki

M,

Thanks for the pic and info...those definitely won't be going back on.

Was wondering why they would have been spec'd on this bike, but it seems they went the "no Shimano" route, and I seem to remember '90 was the year of the "new" under bar shifter craze...this was probably their only option.

Smilinsteve,

It's definitely a cool bike (imho ).

Only the front is a FJC.

I got what seemed to be a good deal ($175 including the Manitou3 I forgot in the seller's yard .

Steve

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Here's your trivia question: What kind of tires are those? ...
    Skin wall Smoke on the back. Looks like it is in pretty good condition, too.

mtbr member
    You got a great deal. I'm always looking around for inexpensive old classics like that. Saw an old Ritchey red white and blue steel frame bike from the late 80's recently but the guy unfortunately knew it was not your ordinary old bike......

I Have Cookies
    Sweet ride!!

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Here's your trivia question: What kind of tires are those? Page down for the answer.

Tioga
    Farmer Johns Cousins!
    Man I hated farmer johns..... I never tried the cousin's. They used to fall apart on me and were worthless for anything but riding on the road....

(i'ts probably because I was running them @ 45 psi and they were hard as a rock... )
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    Sweet ride!!

Man I hated farmer johns..... I never tried the cousin's. They used to fall apart on me and were worthless for anything but riding on the road....

(i'ts probably because I was running them @ 45 psi and they were hard as a rock... )
    My first ride on the Cousins, I tore some knobs off. Granted I was a brake heavy teenager who thought skids were cool but I have never seen it happen with any other tire.

So I've been searching the net for pics or articles on this one...not much out there on the 1990 8900.

I know a few of you guys are probably lucky enough to have Mom's who didn't toss all you MBA's when you left home ....anybody have a scan of this bike as new, pics, or catalog?

Thanks,

Steve

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    Alivio is a better working shifter than XPress.. hard truth. Plug your nose and say Alivio with a French accent... it makes it bearable.

-Schmitty-
    I seem to remember those bikes coming with XC Pro thumbies even though the spec sheet lists the X-Press shifters.

It may just be that the owners of those bikes (including our Trek sales rep who owned one) demanded that functional shifters be installed. Yeah, I do remember the X-Press shifters, and that they made the Shimano STI push-push rapid-fire shifters look high tech.

mtbr member
    I bought a set of those Matrix/Bullseye wheels for the American just for the hubs. I remember it was a great price.
    T
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Sweet new/used ride!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    To answer the skewer question... JD Components spring-lock QRs... there is a positive CLICK as you open and close them (so they basically never accidently open in usage... I've BENT the front ones catching them on rocks without opening), and they were the first NICE taiwanese made QR skewer that didn't break the bank. You could also find them labeled under their house brand of Tranz-X, and they were offered under the Delta, Coda and a few other brand names. They ran about $30 for the full wheel/post set in 1992, and the wheel skewers were 100g combined with CrMo rods, the post QR was 40g. I own probably 10 sets of them. To put that in perspective... the stock shimano XTR wheel skewers were 167g/pair while the XT/DX skewers with the rubber coated lever blades were 179g/pair for the wheels. The XT/DX seatpost QR was 79g. For most of us, those JD skewers represented a very cheap way to cut nearly a quarter pound from our bikes.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Members who have read this thread: 0