Cook bros dustcaps- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cook bros dustcaps

The new issue crank arms are obviously quite different, but are the new dust caps the same as the vintage ones? Always wanted Cook Bros stuff but never really had it much. Seen a lot of these vintage dust caps pass through the bay at crazy prices. Wondering if the new ones are the same as the old ones. If so, there are a few people out there who payed big bucks for something that can now be bought new again.
    Either way, if you are one of the fortunate few who have these cranks, these new caps would look good on them.

http://sales.jbwitmer.com/bonzdustcaps-2.aspx
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

Bird watcher
    I'm sure they are the same as the cranks are pretty close to the old dog bones. They guy selling them for 70 on ebay is making them and selling them as originals. He has done the same with other parts too like Bullseye hubs, decals, and hutch parts. To be sure i would ask Jack. He'll set you straight.

m o t o !
    In Germany there is also a guy who thankfully replicates them. Its nice to have the dust away from the BB Bolts. He sells them for about 20 Euro, which is around 30 US$.
    The pricey remakes of course effect the fee you are allowed to pay for the originals...
    Ciao, Alexander

Bird watcher
    I wish jack would improve these. Maybe use a pin tool for installation like the old xt caps as allan hole would always strip if they got any grit in the cavity which they always did. I know better now and cut out a piece of inertube and fit it inside the cap. It keeps crud out and act like an anti back out washer too!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckevlar
    I'm sure they are the same as the cranks are pretty close to the old dog bones. They guy selling them for 70 on ebay is making them and selling them as originals. He has done the same with other parts too like Bullseye hubs, decals, and hutch parts. To be sure i would ask Jack. He'll set you straight.

hmmm. he told me they were originals. hard to tell from his pics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3#ht_500wt_975

Bird watcher
    He's been known to do this. He is an old hat in the bmx genre.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ckevlar
    He's been known to do this. He is an old hat in the bmx genre.

Those kind of guys really bug me. Reminds me of that old con-artist that was selling mis-represented vintage bikes on ebay 4-5 years ago.

mtbr member
    I asked Jack and he said they fit.
    Wanted:Nothing. I have too much.

Fat City Michael
    Was there really ever a difference in any of the Cook Bros. crank caps that Jack made? Mine all seem to look the same and I have some repros that look pretty authentic, except they may not have as much threading as the originals...Never really compared to make surebut someone once mentioned "E crank caps" but I always used the same old caps in my E cranks too.
    FATMIKEYNYC

Members who have read this thread: 0