CL Find, Paramount PDG 90- Mtbr.com
    Down South Yooper

CL Find, Paramount PDG 90

I've been looking for a winter project, something along the lines of a Bridgestone, Fat (my brother has a 91 Wicked, original owner), something vintage and fun to ride.

Came across an ad for a '91 Paramount PDG 90, pictures looked good, price was reasonable. Went to look at it tonight and brought it home.

It's not NOS, but it wasn't ridden very hard or very long. There's a few nicks on the chainstay (in spite of the dropped chainstay), but no chainsuck, no dropped chains on the bb shell, nothing but minor chips and scratches. Perfect for my purposes. There's one nick on the TT that looks like a brake lever chip from the bars swinging around, but generally, it looks great. Guy had the paramount stem and a (claimed original) ritchey handlebar, the tange HS and a cable hanger in the HS stack.

Looking around the net, there's not a lot of info on these bikes. It's a tigged frame, so aisian made, but I can't find a spec list. My memory says XC pro with ritchey cockpit and seatpost.

My pictures suck, but it was getting late and I don't have a well lit garage, so the entry floor had to do. Paid $140, which I figured was decent, but not necessarily a steal for a Tange prestige frame/fork..

Any love for these?

Plum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CL Find, Paramount PDG 90-p1010017.jpg  

CL Find, Paramount PDG 90-p1010018.jpg  

CL Find, Paramount PDG 90-p1010020.jpg  

CL Find, Paramount PDG 90-p1010021.jpg  

This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Nice one!

illuminaughty
    maybe not alot of "love",,, but I think there is a lot of "like" Nice pickup, clean frame should make a nice build.

I think this one is/was KB11's (if I'm wrong to post please delete). May give you an idea of the build

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...winn+paramount
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CL Find, Paramount PDG 90-pdg90.jpg  

Last edited by da'HOOV; 08-16-2010 at 09:20 PM.
    :)

mtbr member
    Great find. Mine is missing the fork but I have accommodated it with a straight blade. Still not together as are most of my bikes but this one seems special to me. RED, WHITE and BLUE.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV
    maybe not alot of "love",,, but I think there is a lot of "like" Nice pickup, clean frame should make a nice build.

I think this one is/was KB11's (if I'm wrong to post please delete). May give you an idea of the build

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...winn+paramount
    KB11's seems to have a little of everything, XT drivetrain with XC Pro thumbies, dia-compe cantilevers, ritchey rock rims, Diacompe SS-7 (?) levers.

I'm guessing that the XC Pro and Diacompe equipment is original/correct. The original owner of this bike saw the post and sent me a PM mentioning dia-compe brakes..

Given the relative rareity of XC Pro stuff, I'm leaning towards an XT build, M73X type stuff, readily available in good used condition, etc. I think M900 XTR would be a year or so too new..

Plum

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Original Build Was XC-Pro

The Series 70 was the same frame with an XT build.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    Check it carefully for cracks at the seat stay/Seat tube welds, and under the slot in the seat collar before spending a lot of money building it. You'll thank me.

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb
    Check it carefully for cracks at the seat stay/Seat tube welds, and under the slot in the seat collar before spending a lot of money building it. You'll thank me.
    Uh oh. I looked it over pretty well already, but I will again. Is this a common problem with these frames?

JP

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb
    Went over the entire frame again last night, I'm clear. Cleaned up pretty nice, I'm excited, just have to get last winter's project finished first..

Plum

Proud Snob
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    KB11's seems to have a little of everything, XT drivetrain with XC Pro thumbies, dia-compe cantilevers, ritchey rock rims, Diacompe SS-7 (?) levers.

I'm guessing that the XC Pro and Diacompe equipment is original/correct. The original owner of this bike saw the post and sent me a PM mentioning dia-compe brakes..

Given the relative rareity of XC Pro stuff, I'm leaning towards an XT build, M73X type stuff, readily available in good used condition, etc. I think M900 XTR would be a year or so too new..

Plum
    I have some M730 parts If you're interested. Not NOS, but good for a rider. PM if you'd like.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Nice bike. The headtube is an odd place to stamp the serial number.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    Thought so too. Not really that attractive, and in a very prominent location.

Plum

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by metaljim
    I have some M730 parts If you're interested. Not NOS, but good for a rider. PM if you'd like.
    I find myself looking for XC Pro stuff, but still, there's no where near the supply of Suntour that there is of XT 730 stuff..

Plum

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

91' Paramount Catalog Scans

Not sure how much they changed the actual bike from the catalog, but here is a scan that may help with the original setup. (Found it somewhere on the intertubes. Thanks to whomever originally posted it.)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/568601/1991PmntCvr2.JPG

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by jimrr
    Not sure how much they changed the actual bike from the catalog, but here is a scan that may help with the original setup. (Found it somewhere on the intertubes. Thanks to whomever originally posted it.)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/568601/1991PmntCvr2.JPG
    Link broken? Can you save the image and post?

Thanks.

Jason

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    -FIxed-

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by jimrr
    -FIxed-
    Thanks for that.

Interesting (to me anyway) that they'd spec full XC Pro, with the exception of the cantilevers. Why not use the XC Pro cantilevers as well, they're already using the levers..

Anywho..

Plum

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

986 work better

And Dia Compe made Suntour's brakes (and levers?) anyway so its not that off-spec

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    And Dia Compe made Suntour's brakes (and levers?) anyway so its not that off-spec
    interesting. i don't like the xc pro cable hanger bolts and my 987s seem to brake way better. never figured why...
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad

Not if you're a Schwinn.

Members who have read this thread: 2