mtbr member

Chas Roberts e-Stay circa 1990

Something you guys may not have seen before on your side of the pond - a British hand made e-stay from the Chas Roberts framebuilding stable in South London, circa 1990 - probably built to order. Featuring lovely fillet brazing of Columbus tubing and an original Track 2 fork, the bike came to me last year with a Campagnolo meets Shimano groupset and a virtually unused set of Mavic 36h cermics on XT hubs.

Now 'retromodded' in the UK style with some effective brakes, Suntour thumbies, grey Flite and X-lite bar in preparation for the 24 hour race season - cos that's what we do around here in the summer....!

Mr K
    Attached Images Attached Images

Illuminati
    you have a PM
    also, why is the bottle in a bag?

For our US friends, remeber a mr tim gould 1990 world champs? his peugeot was actually a chas roberts with peugeot paint

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Beautiful bike Mr.K!

VRC Hound
    Very cool. I like the gray blue fade too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scant
    you have a PM
    also, why is the bottle in a bag?

For our US friends, remeber a mr tim gould 1990 world champs? his peugeot was actually a chas roberts with peugeot paint

I do remember Tim Gould. He rode quite well. I always thought those were Ritcheys with Peugeot decals, but never saw one up close.

Cool bike and cool paint, Kawasaki.

artistic...
    saw a roberts mtb, diamond frame, rigid built full campagnolo displayed on the window of Condor cycles in south London.
    i sttod there, transfixed... mesmerized... hypnotized...
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    I do remember Tim Gould. He rode quite well. I always thought those were Ritcheys with Peugeot decals, but never saw one up close.

chas roberts white spider apparently. did you get my PM dave?

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007

You are both correct - some of Gould's bikes were indeed re-badged Ritcheys. He wrote a training guide back in the 1990s where he confirms the (already widely accepted) fact that Peugeot were incapable of building a competitive off-road race frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scant
    chas roberts white spider apparently. did you get my PM dave?

I did. I will ask around.

white spider?

mtbr member
    Here's a pic of a Peugeot/Ritchey used in the World Cups, dont remember the rider. I dont think it was Tim Gould's though.

"I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

mtbr member
    That was Mike Kloser's bike. That wasnt you that picked that up was it? I asked Mike about that recently and he remembered it.

The bikes I saw Tim Gould on looked like they could have been Super Comps or something fillet brazed.

mtbr member

Just to confirm that the paint is original and the Roberts water bottle in a bag is not some kinda Mafiosi message, it's just that, in our global retro village, an original bottle had to be sourced from the good old US of A...!

'Go figure', as I think our sometime wanderlust ancestors would have it... :-)

Mr K

PS. Didn't Mike Kloser ride for Peugot on the international stage, after his spell with Alpinestars??

mtbr member
    That was Mike Kloser's bike. That wasnt you that picked that up was it? I asked Mike about that recently and he remembered it.

The bikes I saw Tim Gould on looked like they could have been Super Comps or something fillet brazed.
    I wish I had picked that up. Would make for a great rider
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    In the early days (1988/1989) of the Peugeot team when it was a UK based team rather than the international team, Gould and Baker rode on White Spiders. The give away was that Chas Roberts had his head-tube badge on the bikes! The Ritchey made bike was the one after that. I think the first was the black and orange one from the 1990s worlds.

Here's my truly British 'retromodded' Roberts White Spider from 1989 (now built up as my pub bike) and a close up of the liquid like fillets:

Members who have read this thread: 0