Bullseye Crankset Bearings wanted.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bullseye Crankset Bearings wanted.

Anyone have a spare pair of Bullseye Crankset Bearings in English threading? I have a set, but they are in Italian.......if anyone needs those or wants to swap. Happy to pay $$ or trade for goodie(s).
    Wanted: Phil Wood front hub, one orphan WTB shifter mount.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by deluxe
    Anyone have a spare pair of Bullseye Crankset Bearings in English threading? I have a set, but they are in Italian.......if anyone needs those or wants to swap. Happy to pay $$ or trade for goodie(s).
    Are you strictly looking for original parts for a vintage build? If not, this might help.

He be a moose too.
    Have you tried calling Bullseye directly? I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for, but they are still in business.

(800) 874-0600

mtbr member

Bullseye BB bearings, english

Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    Are you strictly looking for original parts for a vintage build? If not, this might help.
    No, they don't need to be original/vintage. Just wondering if someone has a pair that have been languishing in a parts drawer for a while.
    Wanted: Phil Wood front hub, one orphan WTB shifter mount.

VRC Hound
    I've been looking at the same issue with Bullseye cranks. I have heard differing things about the Desperado Cycles solution, but at 90-100 it is certainly not cheap. I think someone else is working on some spacers that will allow you to use Dura Ace bearings with your Bullseye cranks but I don't know what the cost will be or when the spacers will be ready.

I have an extra English set of bearings but they are used and thus not in the best condition. I am planning to go the spacer route so these are available, esp. for trade.

You can call Bullseye, but my experience has been that you may not get your stuff. I have had some outstanding orders for a few months now. My check hasn't been cashed, so its all good, but just be forewarned.

mtbr member

Scam alert!

Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    Deal with Jalon Hawk aka Laurence B. Gust II at your own risk. Ask yourself why he needed to change his name. This individual borrowed $800 from me "to save his home". Then he sold it at a profit and skipped town. I know other people he burned. This guy is a crook. You might get lucky dealing with him...or maybe not.

I have a frame he built that broke due to a void in the braze at the downtube. And a wheel that broke spokes because he put the spokes backward into the hub. You want more horror stories? His incompetence is only matched by his reluctance to honor a warranty.

Desperado Cycles indeed.

Walt

mtbr member

I seen another guy

I seen another guy selling them shims on ebay. He had them advertised on his bullseye BB (original) auction.He was selling them alot cheaper @$20 if I remember correct. I didn't mark the seller because I figured Jaylon was a reputable shop. I plan on eventually getting a pair for a chameleon. but anyway the guy was out of the UK I will look around to see if I can find him.

mtbr member

Ya gots to do what ya gots to

but I get a small feeling of satisfaction if I can keep Mr. Rip Off from burning someone else. Larry is the Man of 1000 excuses. You would not believe what he has put his ex-friends and family through. What a looser. What a head case.

One small insight: a mutual friend pointed out to him that the trails don't build themselves he responded, "Yah, but without my bikes who would ride them?" Think BikerFox without the charm and good looks. He ran the wife of a good customer out of his shop because she didn't give him a quarter for using his phone.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by chruby99
    I seen another guy selling them shims on ebay. He had them advertised on his bullseye BB (original) auction.He was selling them alot cheaper @$20 if I remember correct. I didn't mark the seller because I figured Jaylon was a reputable shop. I plan on eventually getting a pair for a chameleon. but anyway the guy was out of the UK I will look around to see if I can find him.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Dizzy
    but I get a small feeling of satisfaction if I can keep Mr. Rip Off from burning someone else. Larry is the Man of 1000 excuses. You would not believe what he has put his ex-friends and family through. What a looser. What a head case.

One small insight: a mutual friend pointed out to him that the trails don't build themselves he responded, "Yah, but without my bikes who would ride them?" Think BikerFox without the charm and good looks. He ran the wife of a good customer out of his shop because she didn't give him a quarter for using his phone.

Walt
    As the only Fat City Cycles dealer in town I ended up one of his customers. He repeatedly messed up my stuff with his unauthorized playing around and it. This included his messing up my truly custom Chris Chance frame and making unauthorized modifications to its brand new Chorus/Record parts. He acted like a nut case when I came to get stuff that was fully paid for. He would not let his “babies” go until they spent more time in his shop either on display or getting more messed up with his play.

On his signature wheels the only thing special I got was the signature of a goofball whose work required another shop to make the wheels round, and whose lifetime guarantee for parts and labor proved complete cr_p. His build quality was poor, he voided the manufacturer’s warranty on hubs, and his guarantee somehow got twisted into my owning him money for the labor and he raised that amount when I came to get my wheels. I later learned that somebody else I know had one of his special wheels collapse.

I also read threads he posted on his frame building and other nonsense. I would be careful buying from him based on the stuff of mine he messed up, his lies and dishonesty about warranty and prices and the bizarre behavior he repeatedly demonstrated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile Bullseye/Hollow Tech 2 Shims

Hi Guys,
    I thought I could here my ears burning, I had some spacers machined up so I could run a set on my new 29"er and listed them on ebay when I sold off my old Bullseye bearings to pay for the machining.

I have about 10 sets available now and yes I am based in the UK, however this isn't a problem I am happy to post them over the pond as long as you happy to pay me using Paypal

I will post some pictures later, but they work a treat and can be used with MTB BB as well, not just the Dura-ace one

I charge 20 GBP per set including Airmail, if you would prefer "signed for" Airmail, it would be an additional 3.50 GBP

PM me or email direct ~ [email protected]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by idoru; 03-07-2006 at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I employed Jalon Hawk (real name Laurence B. Gust) of Desperado Cycles in Deerbrook Wisconsin to create a custom bicycle for me. 22 months and over $14,500 later (yes, I'm an idiot) all I've received are excuses, demands for more money and verbal lashings for being unwilling to pay more for the work of a "master builder".

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycling_Guy
    I employed Jalon Hawk (real name Laurence B. Gust) of Desperado Cycles in Deerbrook Wisconsin to create a custom bicycle for me. 22 months and over $14,500 later (yes, I'm an idiot) all I've received are excuses, demands for more money and verbal lashings for being unwilling to pay more for the work of a "master builder".

My deepest sympathy. I'm afraid that you've purchased an expensive education.

Please file a compliant with the Better Business people at minimum.

Walt

gobsmacked Moderator
    Ouch. Good luck. What an awful experience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ouch. I have hoped the amateur look and wild claims on his web site were enough of a clue to raise flags.

If you read my experiences, add up those from others, it equals "master baiter" before "master builder". Then add up all his time alone in the north woods and you might conclude master, mastur___ oops.

He did post in other forums for a time so you might want to get your experience broadcast elsewhere.

You should also consider small claims court or something that will get your transaction in a searchable public place. I've done that personally and as a business owner because it can spare others grief and makes a legitimate record of somebody's bad behavior or crime.

Good luck.

Old school BMXer

How did you think it was really a good idea to add this to an old thread on Bullseye cranks because the guy you have a beef with makes shims for these? You also posted your rant in the framebuilding forum to other frame builders. You really are a dumb a$$.

Here's your sign.
    Last edited by Blaster1200; 05-25-2011 at 03:05 PM.
    May the air be filled with tires!

VRC Hound
    It is actually helpful to know that Desperado is a desperado.

Certified Bike Junkie
    I'm sorry you are getting hosed, that sucks.

But do you mind if I ask what the hell kind of bike you were expecting to get for $14,500?!!

Dipped in gold?

There's a long list of competent builders that can make your dreams a reality for, I would think, much less than that. And most of them don't have a shady reputation.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy
    I'm sorry you are getting hosed, that sucks.

But do you mind if I ask what the hell kind of bike you were expecting to get for $14,500?!!

Dipped in gold?

There's a long list of competent builders that can make your dreams a reality for, I would think, much less than that. And most of them don't have a shady reputation.
    This

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    How did you think it was really a good idea to add this to an old thread on Bullseye cranks because the guy you have a beef with makes shims for these? You also posted your rant in the framebuilding forum to other frame builders. You really are a dumb a$$.

Here's your sign.
    I have to disagree. If what he says really is true, then the word should be spread far and wide, even though it sounds like he has such long talent in ripping people off that he will always be able to find a mark.
    _

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200

Here's your sign.
    You're complaining because the OP didn't post this in a forum you'd find more appropriate?

Really?

Here's a clue: it makes all kinds of sense to post in areas where a crook might, in the future, get a hit on a search by someone looking to do business.

Any other brilliant insights you'd like to share?

Walt

He be a moose too.
    I remember him telling me about his special wheels and how he used very, very high spoke tension to make the best wheels out there. He radially laced and I remember wondering how long these would hold out before flanges would start to break.

The poster admitted what he did not was not intelligent and doesn't want others to get suckered, this is as good a thread as any to put it in. He already admitted it wasn't smart, Blaster, was it really productive to call him a dumbass? The one who looks looks like a dumbass now is...well, you know who.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    I remember him telling me about his special wheels and how he used very, very high spoke tension to make the best wheels out there. He radially laced and I remember wondering how long these would hold out before flanges would start to break.

The poster admitted what he did not was not intelligent and doesn't want others to get suckered, this is as good a thread as any to put it in. He already admitted it wasn't smart, Blaster, was it really productive to call him a dumbass? The one who looks looks like a dumbass now is...well, you know who.
    My first experience with his masterful wheel work was having a perfectly OK OEM wheel potato chip after he tightened the ___ out of it in the name of making it strong via super high tension. This is one of his radial jobs he bragged about that failed with not much use and when I learned what his lifetime warranty meant. He said something like for the life of the wheel and pointed out that it's life was over in this shape.

I'm with those who say crooks and slime bags need be exposed when possible. It's also appropriate to post here because the guy has advertised parts and services for Bullseye.

Now I'm recalling how he borrowed my 1960s and 70s Schwinn and Raliegh brochures and I never got them back because they were "my investment in his shoppe". He would call shoppe shopeee.

Members who have read this thread: 1