Bottom Bracket Sizing for Klein Attitude- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Bottom Bracket Sizing for Klein Attitude

Hey there,
    I have an ~2000 Klein Attitude that I ride regularly and love. Recently, the bottom bracket has started to "crunch" a bit when I ride, so I'm looking to swap it out. I looked in the brochure that came with my bike and see that I have a Shimano BB-UN52 bottom bracket.

My questions are:
    1) Short of pulling the current bottom bracket, is there any way I can lookup which size I need? I've been poking around the web for a bit and am seeing multiple BB-UN52 sizes out there (most seem to be 68mm, but seeing some 73mm too).
    2) What's the recommended replacement -- another / new Shimano, or something different / better? I ride regularly, but not competitively, and do mostly road and light trail riding.

Appreciate any input from the group here!

Best regards,
    Dean

artistic...
    Short of official specs and wrench/ shop knowledge i am sure someone here has the solution would be to measure the bb shell. Itīs probably 73mm. If you have a UN52 just get another or a tange which is about the same because both do their job and are not expensive.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean518m View Post
    My questions are:
    1) Short of pulling the current bottom bracket, is there any way I can lookup which size I need?

You can measure the bb shell width with the crankset installed. You might be able to look up the correct spindle length that's required for your particular crankset but if you have a crank puller/remover you could just remove the crankarms and measure the spindle with a caliper.

Shimano bb's are pretty good, I'd get the same one or similar if it's available.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Thanks for the replies. I measured today and found a 73mm BB shell width. Hard to say / tell on the spindle length though; I can't get a good measurement with the crankarms on there. Eyeballing it, I'd guess 110mm or 113mm.

Is there somewhere I can look things up to figure out what I need for certain? My brochure shows me having a "Bontrager Comp 44/32/22" crankset.

On your other point, I have a crank puller/remover tool on order, but it won't be here for a week or so. I was hoping to order the BB now so it arrives at the same time, vs. having to wait 1 week for the tools and then another week for the BB once I'm able to take the crankarms off and get an accurate measure.

artistic...
    a 3mm difference split by 2 means 1.5mm wider at each side in case you just order a 113mm and call it done. Otoh a UN52 BB is notbthat expensive and you may even buy it later on the correct length. Win win win.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.