Bianchi Kalahari?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Bianchi Kalahari?

Hey VRC Crew,
    I recently purchased a Bianchi Kalahari mtb frame/fork + misc parts for pretty cheap off the local CL. It looks like it was a pretty low end bike in its day, but I can't find any info on this old bike. Does anyone know anything about years these were made, how old this one is (see photos below), etc? I've already built it up SS with parts from the bin and I've been riding the wheels off it; it's a really fun bike, and I'm really just curious for more info on this odd bike. Thanks!

Sorry in advance for the camera-phone pics; my real digi-cam has recently met an untimely end.

As purchased, sans Celeste Bianchi-labeled "Made in Italy" Turbo saddle (not sure if what on this bike is original):

Looks like Bianchi "B" Hi-Ten steel? Sounds pretty low-end:

The remnants of the fork decal:

"Custom" cranks. Not sure if these were original, but they are certainly low-end:

Headtube decal. I'm a sucker for that Bianchi logo:

Its current form. Bontrager Corvair wheels from my '99 GF Kaitai, Surly SS conversion kit, Control Tech stem (got this from the LBS for $18). From my parts bin: Odyssey bmx grips, old Avid Arch Rival 50 brakes with Avid FR-5 levers, Sugino cranks/bb from an '89 Miyata Alumicross, geared 38:18. Saddle and post (25.8mm) came with the frame.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    It won't win any beauty contests but I bet it will take a beating. Nice solid dependable low maintenance build. Actually I think it looks pretty good too. I like your bike storage rack too. Did you build that yourself?
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

I'm just messing with you
    Those old rigid Bianchis make great singlespeeds, even better that one has horizontal drops so you don't have to mess with a tensioner. Looks like you've got yourself something to have fun with.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    It won't win any beauty contests but I bet it will take a beating. Nice solid dependable low maintenance build. Actually I think it looks pretty good too. I like your bike storage rack too. Did you build that yourself?

Yup, built it one evening from a stack of 2-by's and some eyeballed measurements. Cost about 30 bucks in materials. Here's a better picture of it from when the garage was arranged differently. The idea was to get a second row of bikes above the first row without hanging anything from the ceiling that would interfere with the garage door.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Nice looking bike.

Excellent looking garage!
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Looks like you have your priorities straight, that's the correct use for a 2-car garage.

Like the Bianchi's looks, who cares if it was low-end. BTW the celeste Turbo is probably worth more than you paid for the whole bike.
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

one chain loop
    nice conversion. nice calendar too.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Members who have read this thread: 0