Best Method to DeGunk ST-M091 Levers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Best Method to DeGunk ST-M091 Levers

I have a new-to-me 1990 Univega Team Alpina with the full XT group. I briefly put it on the stand and the shifters are sluggish. What is the best way to get them to shift smoothly? Remove the cover and use WD-40? or is there more I should do? And what should I use for lube after they shift smoothly?
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've had good luck with tri-flow. If they're really bad I use a plastic-safe electronics cleaner/degreaser, and follow up with tri-flow, I've brought shifters that don't engage at all back to life with that cleaner and tri-flow.
    Those are XTii 7/8sp thumbs? - I think there's holes underneath so you shouldn't have to disassemble at all.
    Make sure to lube the cables first (I'm sure you know that), especially the housing nearest the rear der. You probably know this too: on the stand shift to the biggest rear cog in the rear, without turning the crank shift to the smallest rear cog, that will give you enough slack to pull the cable housings clear of the braze-ons, and you can slide the housings off from where they normally sit, wipe with a cloth/paper towel and re-lube with tri-flow. I've also used liquid/graphite lock-lube for cables, that stuff is so viscous it will flow down into the cable/housing quite well.

Post a pic when you can, sounds like a neat bike.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    These are the Push Push levers and they barely spring back. Here is the bike. I donít think it has ever been off road. Seems original except for the saddle. When I get a chance to do a proper tune up, Iíll post more pics.
    Best Method to DeGunk ST-M091 Levers-594bedaf-de71-47c4-9b96-7ef24103524d.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Best luck I've had with getting rid of the stiction for good is an hours long soak in rubbing alcohol followed by a long rinse with hot water directly into the cable hole. (all done off bike with cables removed)

Tri Flow tends to get sticky after a long time, a lighter not wax lube like Wd40 would probably do best or maybe a gun lube.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    88 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Best way is to disassemble them, I have done it on a couple of my bikes but it can be tricky getting them back together. Heavy dose of WD40 will sometimes get those spring loaded prongs to free up and respond.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    If you take them apart, take lots of photos. I replaced the plastic cable holder in one successfully a couple of years ago. Yet, I was confident last night and took apart one that was stuck and have 2/3 of it back together before getting stuck...and I didn't take good photos.

I ran out of time and plan to finish it over the next couple of days. I'll probably look at an assembled one to figure out the last 3-4 parts I have.