Best drivetrain options for old rigid MTB?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Best drivetrain options for old rigid MTB?

I have a Diamondback Ascent rigid MTB that I bought new 25+ years ago. As I've gotten other road and trail bikes over the years this one has been relegated to a "grocery getter", but I still ride it regularly around town. After god knows how many thousands of miles the indestructible STX 3x7 drivetrain is starting to skip a bit in one gear. I'd consider just replacing the cassette and chain, but it's the original chain which now has something like 2% stretch so I'm pretty sure the chainrings are history too.

What I'm trying to figure out is the best way to rebuild the drivetrain. I know I need cassette/chain/chainrings (and front shifter as well). STX and Deore LX componentry are long gone. Do I just pick up some cheap Alivio components and call it a day or is there a better way to go (knowing that the whole bike is worth maybe $100 even after repairs).

Despite my desire to keep things inexpensive, I'm kind of a gear whore at heart and I'd be open to a more thorough rebuild (BB, crankset, possibly even 9 speed der/shifter if the functionality would improve significantly and compelling deals on the appropriate parts could be found). Or is that just being idiotically sentimental about an old beater Diamondback...?
    Last edited by wayold; 1 Week Ago at 10:39 PM.

Ride what you like!
    "Idiotically sentimental about an old beater" should be the Vintage, Retro, Classic motto!
    But your post is bummin' me out. I have an stx rear der, need an stx front der and shifters for my retro rebuild. Maybe the used market has what you are looking for; I had a line on an old Giant with the complete set, with newer rims and crank as a bonus, but I missed the boat! I've heard there is some compatibility between 9x drivetrain and old 3x something, but I think it was 3x8.

I know, not a lot of useful info, but I'm subscribed now!
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

-bustin punks
    I know this isn't a sale thread, but the super duper low mile STX is coming off this bike shortly and might work for you...(don't have shifters though unfortunately - it was a grip shift bike...)

Ride what you like!
    Not just STX, but STX RC, that's an upgrade! But the front der wont work for me, my bike is bottom pull, yours is top pull. But yeah, I want the crank if it'll fit! Any low mile canti brakes laying around too? Trust me, Mr Fat Chance, I'm watching your rebuild thread too. I believe twice, as I think I've seen it over at RetroBike too!
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    I have a Diamondback Ascent rigid MTB that I bought new 25+ years ago. As I've gotten other road and trail bikes over the years this one has been relegated to a "grocery getter", but I still ride it regularly around town. After god knows how many thousands of miles the indestructible STX 3x7 drivetrain is starting to skip a bit in one gear. I'd consider just replacing the cassette and chain, but it's the original chain which now has something like 2% stretch so I'm pretty sure the chainrings are history too.

What I'm trying to figure out is the best way to rebuild the drivetrain. I know I need cassette/chain/chainrings (and front shifter as well). STX and Deore LX componentry are long gone. Do I just pick up some cheap Alivio components and call it a day or is there a better way to go (knowing that the whole bike is worth maybe $100 even after repairs).

Despite my desire to keep things inexpensive, I'm kind of a gear whore at heart and I'd be open to a more thorough rebuild (BB, crankset, possibly even 9 speed der/shifter if the functionality would improve significantly and compelling deals on the appropriate parts could be found). Or is that just being idiotically sentimental about an old beater Diamondback...?
    If you are just using it around town do you need the full range of a 3x7? One option if you don't is just get a narrow wide chainring, cassette and chain, I'd think that would be the cheapest option if you can live to the smaller range of a 1x7 since then you would save the money of buying multiple chainrings and a front shifter. Or just go singlespeed.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

Bikes in jeans
    Is it 7 speed cassette or freewheel? Sort of limits your options if you're dealing with a freewheel unless you want to replace the wheel entirely.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...