mtbr member

Bad Day for the Goat

Cousin hit a stump that hit back today Didn't even know that the frame was damaged as they were searching for his GPS that popped off when he hit the stump. His buddy looked up and the rest is history. Any potential to replace top & down tubes or is she toast?!?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Looks toast to me

BMX'er getting big wheels
    If you can find a welder and find a way to build a jig to the geometry the way it's supposed to be, I'd bet it's salvageable, but that's easier said than done. But once you go replacing tube, the frame loses it's identity IMO.
    Last edited by TrikeKid; 07-07-2007 at 10:02 PM.
    '05 Jamis Komodo
    '85 Toyota Pickup 4x4
    '74 Ford Maverick

mtbr member
    Wall art
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

Highly Ir-regular
    May 2006

Ouch ! !

"another one bites the dust" but I hope and assume your Cousin's OK...or are you on speaking terms ? . Too bad but it's a great piece of wall art for your garage...I can imagine how the story will grow every year
    "I won't sell these for a penny less than $60.00. I'd rather put 'em back on the shelf and keep 'em! "

He be a moose too.
    Ouch! And I'm not talking about your cousin either.

While not a frame builder or repairer, but I do play one on tv, I can't imagine that being fixed. It's not a crack (like rumpfy's Tomac Bike) but the metal itself has been deformed and you're dealing with a thin-walled material. There are no silver brazed lugs to heat up and replace a tube either. I've seen other bikes like this and they were written off.

Here, if it makes you feel any better. I've got a picture I've posted before that will show I can feel your pain.

Penguin

mtbr member
    Wow!! That one hurts a bit too! My cousin is fine as he didn't even go down, apparently that is why he didn't even notice it at first. He is digging for a replacement frame to get him back on trail, this one will surely hold a special place on display in his basement. Makes me kinda nervous to get the Breezer Beamer back on the trail. We'll see how it shakes out.

Retro on Steroids
    I'm sensing a theme here.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by 57-180
    Cousin hit a stump that hit back today Didn't even know that the frame was damaged as they were searching for his GPS that popped off when he hit the stump. His buddy looked up and the rest is history. Any potential to replace top & down tubes or is she toast?!?
    Ouch. That doesn't look good...most likely a total loss.

I'm sure the tubes could be fixed, but by the time they're replaced and the bike repainted...might as well buy or find another.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Make a tandem.
    Wanted:Nothing. I have too much.

mtbr member
    Or make one of those cool stools with the rear triangle.
    Wanted:Nothing. I have too much.

Go hard or go home

First Flight...

I am sensing tears streaming down faces at First Flight Bikes in NC...

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjin4131
    I am sensing tears streaming down faces at First Flight Bikes in NC...
    That is pretty sad. It could be fixed but would probably be cost prohibitive.

VRC Illuminati
    What year was that Goat? Looks like about a 95?
    -eric-

Does the right thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    I'm sensing a theme here.
    I think we all saw this one coming.

mtbr member

seen another Klein do this...

Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    Ouch! And I'm not talking about your cousin either.

While not a frame builder or repairer, but I do play one on tv, I can't imagine that being fixed. It's not a crack (like rumpfy's Tomac Bike) but the metal itself has been deformed and you're dealing with a thin-walled material. There are no silver brazed lugs to heat up and replace a tube either. I've seen other bikes like this and they were written off.

Here, if it makes you feel any better. I've got a picture I've posted before that will show I can feel your pain.

Penguin

Did you happen to hear this one break? My friend's Klein made a real neat popping noise when it broke just like that one.

mtbr member
    He thinks it is a 95 or 96. It has a 1-1/8" head tube if that helps. He is moving more modern and more squishy from the sounds of things.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    well...as the owner of this Whiskeytown it comforts me knowing there are guys out there who care about my Goat.

I would like to ask the question, Why?

Did it bent where the tube buttings are?

mtbr member
    Sad but toasted.

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeytown
    well...as the owner of this Whiskeytown it comforts me knowing there are guys out there who care about my Goat.

is that 2 questions?

1.this is VRC, old(er) bikes are our thing
    2.i have no idea

bummer bout your bike man, glad to read your ok
    looking for 20-21" P team

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeytown

I can't believe no one had the 'Whiskeytown' handle registered, nice!

My guess is that the fork crown/steer/heattube is/was stronger than the point at which it bent...

Though I'm surprised you didn't taco the wheel or endo first.

Must have just been one of those things.

I've got a Joule of a similar year.

Do a search for 'Mountain Goat' or Whiskeytown' in the VRC forum and you'll find lots of Goat owners here.

You have any pics of the full bike before it's tragic end?
    -eric-

He be a moose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Did you happen to hear this one break?...made a real neat popping noise...
    Hear it? Hear it?

I heard it, I sensed it, I felt it...to the very depths of my soul.

I was going around an S-turn at the university and made the first part of the turn but couldn't make the second part. I was saying to myself, "I can't turn?!" I was heading straight for a VW-size rock and managed to slow down enough that I didn't get hurt when I hurt hit it. The bike made a "plink" sound and sagged.

I looked down.
    Then I laughed.
    Then I cried.
    Then later on I figured, WTF, might as well laugh.

It really was a sickening feeling. I loved that bike, my first high end bike, and had so many good times and races on it.

I figured out what happened is that the downtube weld failed as I went around the turn rendering the bike uncontrollable on the turn and when I hit the rock head on, without support from the downtube, ripped in two.

It's pretty apparent from the pictures that downtube weld failed during the turn and was faulty. Notice that the weld never really penetrated the downtube as the miters on the tube on at least half the circumference are clean and not affected by the weld. If you look closely on the head tube, at the top and bottom of where the downtube should be, you can see a slight mark where the two tubes made contact.

I'm not a welder, but I do play one on tv and have taken some classes, but I know that this weld wasn't properly done. The tubes never properly joined and to large extent, weld bead held the downtube and held the headtube, but the two tubes really didn't join. This is one case where Klein's 'deep penetration welds' (to use a term from their literature) didn't penetrate.

Not to hijack the thread but it might be of interest to see the inner regions of a bike. Regions where if things go well, we should never see. I'm kind of impressed exactly how thin they make that top tube and look at how much thicker the downtube with the butted ends.

A few years later my friend Norm asked if I remembered how we met. I said that we met in the computer labs. He said that wasn't our first encounter and said, "Remember there were a few people sitting next to that rock you hit with your bike? I was one of them. You looked pretty pissed."

Penguin

Members who have read this thread: 2