mtbr member

Wink Apologies to the Purists... (Bonty makeover)

well, finished my first bike project (and i blame you folks... see what happens when you lurk here for even a short while!).

i've got a bunch of build pix, which i'll post up tomorrow night, as i've got an early date w/ this beauty tomorrow morning for some CO singletrack (its public debut).

to recap, i picked up this '96 Ti Lite at the end of last year; it was in excellent condition w/ all original parts ('cept tires):

rode it quite a bit before winter finally set in (and what a winter we had)... but decided i wanted to do something different w/ it.

the 96'er (or 69'er depending on who you talk to) concept seemed intriguing... i rode a 29'er for a weekend in cali and found that i was most impressed w/ the larger front tire (i.e. stability while climbing tight, technical switchbacks) and thus i decided to jump in. after some research (including brief consultation w/ KB himself) i put down some money and some dimensions for a custom fork from WaltWorks. yanked the XTR 950 hubs from my old wheelset and shipped them off to Big Wheels (mikesee) and had him lace me up one big, one small.

so a few parts from my '96 Privateer, some parts i had lying around, and a couple of new pieces later and voilå:

there are a few cool details which you can't see in the photo above... i'll post those photos/details tomorrow night.

in the meantime, here is the build:

1996 Bontrager Ti Lite, L
    Chris King headset, 1" threaded
    Bontrager stem, 1" threaded
    OnOne Fleegle bar
    SRAM ESP9.0 SL shifters (8 spd)
    Real Design levers
    Oury grips
    Dimension stubby bar ends
    WaltWorks rigid fork, custom length/rake
    Avid SD7 brake, f
    XTR 950 hubs, 32h rear, 28h front
    DT Swiss rims (XR4.1 rear, RR1.1 front), spokes, nips
    Shimano XT 737 front derailleur
    Shimano XT 737 crankset, 175
    Shimano XT rings 42/32/22
    Avid Arch Rival brake, r
    Bontrager cables
    SRAM 9.0 SL rear derailleur (8 spd)
    SRAM PG68 cassette (11-32)
    SRAM PC68 chain
    Bontrager Jones XR, 26x2.20 rear
    Bontrager Jones XR, 29x2.25 front
    Crank Bros Smarty pedals
    Cane Creek Thudbuster ST post
    Bontrager / Selle San Marco Race Day saddle
    XTR skewers
    Jen Green custom head badge

...time for bed. better pix tomorrow i promise.

(btw, i was kinda surprised to find that jahwind had already done this conversion to his Ti Lite a while back... great minds think alike?!).

g'night.

King of vegetarians
    Very nice!
    Congrats.
    Black Sheep Dream Bike Design
    www.blacksheepbikes.com
    The future is not retro proof.

velocipede technician
    diggin the blue decals

hurry up and get us a ride report
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Let us know how the 28h 29er wheel works out for you. I am a fan of 28s and am contemplating a similar wheelbuild if i ever build a big wheel.

mtbr member

Good job!

this is gonna be a fun (and fast) bike...

great ride today:

mtbr member

Good job! it's all in the details

since i decided i wasn't going to keep the bike "original", i wanted to do something special to the frame, especially as the finish was kinda dull after 10+ years...

so i dropped it off at spectrum powderworks for some TLC.

first step was to clean it up a little:

then a little etching was in order:

(thanks to mr.orange for help w/ the proper font)

next a classic panel added to the downtube:

...and the final touch-- the limited edition jen green head badge:

mtbr member

idoru had kindly sent me some repro graphics, but i didn't realize spectrum had treated the frame, so these decals weren't gonna stick. luckily i found a local source, so i decided while i was at it i may as well reverse the color scheme and go blue on black to highlight the fork color:

(after a bit of acetone to remove any oils)

i wasn't sure what to do w/ the rear cable hanger, since i won't be running cantis on this frame... i knew i didn't want to remove it, but i didn't like it just sticking out back there.

with a little ingenuity (actually it was a bit more complicated than i expected), i figured out how to mount an old yakima rack dawg bottle opener-- for those post-ride occasions when a trailside cold beverage is in order.

(powdercoated to match the fork of course)

velocipede technician
    i really dig the etching,classy.

hmm, maybe i want a ti lite after all...
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member

a few misc. shots

love these old levers:

for the maiden voyage, i used the Bonty straight seatpost, but w/ the rigid fork (and coming from riding mostly FS these days), i decided to run a suspension post to take the edge off. i ran a RockShox (telescopic) post for several years on my Privateer, but it didn't take too long for it to develop lateral play. so i decided to give the Thudbuster a try, w/ the parallelogram linkage; it doesn't look as clean as a straight post, but the ride is much improved, and this bike was built to ride!

oh yeah, i just fortuitously stumbled across this NOS saddle a few weeks back in a clearance bin at a LBS... think i paid $24. my other two race day saddles have definitely seen some wear and tear over the years, so i was happy to find this one (and blue no less!)

i've had these hubs for almost 10 years now...

i asked walt to take some "in progress" shots of my fork being made:

all in all i'd say i'm extremely pleased w/ the results... i think the bike looks nice and it rides well. i'm sure there are some VRC folks biting their tongues, but hey, to each his own, right? i'll have this bike forever and it will see plenty of dirt, just as KB designed/built it for (just in a tad different configuration).

thanks for reading.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

King of vegetarians
    Great pictures,it shows how much love you put into it.
    Great job.
    Black Sheep Dream Bike Design
    www.blacksheepbikes.com
    The future is not retro proof.

VRC Illuminati
    Great attention to detail.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

artistic...
    interesting! is it me or there is still the original BB drop there? walt designed the fork in a way it didn't alter the geometry too much. taht's really excelent.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    interesting! is it me or there is still the original BB drop there? walt designed the fork in a way it didn't alter the geometry too much. taht's really excelent.
    no doubt walt is a craftsman, but actually he just builds what you tell him to-- so i was responsible for getting the exact specs i wanted. in fact, he initially tried to dissuade me from trying this, or rather, he thought it would be an expensive experiment if it didn't work out. he strongly suggested i try to find an off-the-shelf rigid fork to throw on it for a while first to at least see if i liked the concept before having him build me something custom. the problem is, of course, trying to find a rigid fork w/ an A-C measurement tall enough for a 29'er, that wasn't disc-specific, and was 1" threaded... which proved to be impossible.

so i sought some advice, looked at what was currently being offered, then took all of that info into account and tweaked it to my custom spec and told walt let's go for it.

original Ti Lite specs:

head angle = 71˚ and seat angle = 74˚; i lost about a degree and a half, as i'm now sitting at just a hair under 70˚ and a hair over 72˚, respectively.

BB height = 11.75"; actually unchanged from spec.

wheelbase = 41.5"; whereas now i'm sitting one inch longer at 42.5.

i suppose if the slightly slackened HA bothered me, i could maybe try to find shallower headset cups to drop the front end just a tad. i've actually always been a fan of a steeper HA than most it seems, but on the other hand i think after you spend any significant time on any bike you grow accustomed to it and its geometry.

it's all good.
    Last edited by gotdirt; 06-15-2007 at 04:20 PM.
    -

mtbr member

P.s.

thanks all for the kind words.

i think i'm already suffering from the end-of-project blues... was kinda fun to have something to do late at night after the family had gone to bed.

actually i've got 3 other projects in mind, but alas, no discretionary funds at the moment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    since i decided i wasn't going to keep the bike "original", i wanted to do something special to the frame, especially as the finish was kinda dull after 10+ years...

...and the final touch-- the limited edition jen green head badge:

Okay, where do I get one (or five!) of those headbadges??

'Calm Down'
    You can get one directly from Jen Green: http://www.headbadges.com/

Here's a link to some info about them: Click Here (Note: I don't have anymore.)

jw

Quote Originally Posted by kenjihara
    Okay, where do I get one (or five!) of those headbadges??
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    no doubt walt is a craftsman, but actually he just builds what you tell him to-- so i was responsible for getting the exact specs i wanted. in fact, he initially tried to dissuade me from trying this, or rather, he thought it would be an expensive experiment if it didn't work out. he strongly suggested i try to find an off-the-shelf rigid fork to throw on it for a while first to at least see if i liked the concept before having him build me something custom. the problem is, of course, trying to find a rigid fork w/ an A-C measurement tall enough for a 29'er, that wasn't disc-specific, and was 1" threaded... which proved to be impossible.

so i sought some advice, looked at what was currently being offered, then took all of that info into account and tweaked it to my custom spec and told walt let's go for it.
    Great looking build. What are the A/C and offset on the fork and how much trail did you end up with?
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne
    You can get one directly from Jen Green: http://www.headbadges.com/
    i'll be curious what you find out kenjihara, as these were a limited edition and she only had a couple left back when i ordered mine...
    -

'Calm Down'
    I know when I e-mailed KB originally he gave a thumbs up to the badges, but I think Trek officially only gave the OK to sell 50 since they own the brand. That's what the "limited edition" was all about.

jw

i'll be curious what you find out kenjihara, as these were a limited edition and she only had a couple left back when i ordered mine...
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne
    Trek officially only gave the OK to sell 50 since they own the brand.
    that was my understanding from jen as well.

so i guess i didn't realize that you did the design-- nice work.
    (not to take away from the craftsmanship that jen did making them).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by outside!
    Great looking build. What are the A/C and offset on the fork and how much trail did you end up with?
    thanks...
    build has gone through a couple of iterations since then*.

A/C is 417mm
    rake is 48mm
    haven't actually measured the trail... i've seen two different ways to do so-- one seemed pretty straightforward, the other looked to involve a bunch or trigonometry!

*currently sits thusly:

tilitegrass.jpg

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005

My eyes!

"Apologies to the purists...?"

Not just the purists, buddy!
    I think you originally avoided any scepticism over the 29er front wheel due to the classy frame etching and Walt fork.

But... do you REALLY need me to explain how WRONG that blue snake print tyre is?
    That bike deserves better - take the tyres back to Wal Mart, FFS!

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dave
    do you REALLY need me to explain how WRONG that blue snake print tyre is? That bike deserves better - take the tyres back to Wal Mart, FFS!

like that, do ya?

here's the story-- the company (sweetskinz) sent me some prototypes quite a while back. i had other plans for them, but then right before a big event/ride out here i cut the sidewall on my rear jones (ahem, shortly after doing same to the front jones ...that's what i get for not checking MTBR reviews first). i had a pile of worn tires to pull from, or a new michelin 2.2 which, as a testament to changing times, doesn't really fit between the stays on this 10+ year-old bike. then i remembered these badboyz down in the basement and thought i'd run it for grins. let me tell you it definitely gets attention.

anyway, i was pleasantly surprised how well it actually hooks up out here! so, for the time being at least, it stays. that said, i do have makeover plans for the bike over the winter, which may or may not include these tires (did i mention they're reflective at night?).

No Justice = No Peace

Head Angles

"i suppose if the slightly slackened HA bothered me, i could maybe try to find shallower headset cups to drop the front end just a tad. i've actually always been a fan of a steeper HA than most it seems, but on the other hand i think after you spend any significant time on any bike you grow accustomed to it and its geometry.

it's all good. "

I did the chop job on a newer SID for my Race a few years ago. The A-C is definitely longer, but the bike still handles great. (Eric rode it briefly and liked it.)

I think you're right about getting accustomed to the geometry. I also think that as good as the original Bontrager geometry was, longer A-C (longer STA) can actually work as well if not better on these frames.

Beautiful bike. Lose the blue tires, please.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

clueless
    great built

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dave
    But... do you REALLY need me to explain how WRONG that blue snake print tyre is?
    That bike deserves better - take the tyres back to Wal Mart, FFS!
    this bike is hot, so it deserves hot tires

ciao
    flo

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005
    They're reflective at night?
    Classy!
    I need some for my winter commuter

Members who have read this thread: 0