mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?

Cleaning out the garage, I came across a replecement bushing kit and some derailleur hangers for a Psycle Werks Wildhare. I owned one back in 1998 or 1999, can't remember - too many bikes and too much beer. Brings a smile to my face when I think about all the riding on that old girl.

Anyway, I want to make sure it finds a good home, figuring if someone still has one they must be get desperate for parts. If you have one or know someone who does, direct them to the classifieds as I just posted it.

Thanks!

There's no app for this.

No but

I've a friend that does and sent your message along. thanks for the parts offers, Jim

Former Bike Wrench
    Might want to post in the "Vintage" forum

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Jim's friend:)

Hello,

Actually, I do have an old Psycle Works I took out of retirement several years ago and now and again I use this bike as a winter commuter. May be great to obtain those bushing kits. Somehow last time our bike shop was able to locate bushing kit after many many months and that's how this old bike received new life!

thanks!
    LH

How much further ???

Im riding a Wild Hare

After a 10 year break from mountain biking. (I got a 1600 Yamaha Roadstar and have cruised all over the country) but now Im fat and out of shape. Im dusting off the Wild Hare and getting ready to ride again. My square taper bottom bracket and all. lol

Let me know if you have sold those bushings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I rode a PW for years and still have a frame. Good stuff - a great downhill and uphill machine. But I can't forget its big problem: the plasitc bushing would eat into the aluminum frame, causing lateral "perma-swag."

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Still have one that's in fantastic shape. I got it for my then 17 year old son but he's only been on it 3 times and he's 20 now. I started riding it some. It is a fantastic ride and with a Manitou Swinger 3 way shock it is an ounce less than 6lbs (or 1.5 oz heavier than my friends 2007 Titus Racer X. Its amazing how far ahead of its time this frame was. I have an xtra hanger and two bushing kits too. I figured the bushings would go but they are still tights and perfectly smooth.

It's funny that this popped up because I'm thinking of selling it to fund a recent aquisition. Hmmm what to do?

mtbr member
    Still riding mine..........If you still have the bushing set available, PM me, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. What a sweet bike, so far ahead of it's time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Tell your friends... rescue opportunity

If your are a Psycle Werks Wild Hare fan I need you...

I have a size medium for sale in the classifieds that I bought for my son a few years ago. It was in great condition when I got it. The guy I bought it from had numerous bikes and obviously hadn't ridden it too much. My son virtually never rode it either. It has a Manitou Swinger SPV on it. It's in terrific condition… pivots smooth and tight.

It's really a little too big for both of us. He's 5' 7" and I'm 5'6". If you ride one you know it was way ahead of it's time, built very tough and with a light shock fairly light due to the bushing instead of bearing design.

I have two sets of extra bushings and a derailleur hanger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Does anyone know where can I get a replaceable rear hanger for the Wild Hare frame??

mtbr member
    Give the guys at http://derailleurhanger.com/index.htm a call, if it's not listed, maybe they can make one for you. Good luck with that. I'm still riding PW as my "back up/loaner" bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    gmats,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I will give them a call tomorrow.

Thank you, again!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am restoring a Wild Hare right now, and I need a new seat post clump.
    Does anyone know what size of seat clump I have to get? (Diameter of outside of seat tube)
    Is that 35mm?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hydora
    I am restoring a Wild Hare right now, and I need a new seat post clump.
    Does anyone know what size of seat clump I have to get? (Diameter of outside of seat tube)
    Is that 35mm?
    At first I thought "Clump was a typo for Clamp" but since you did it twice are you referring to the spacer?

Any way I found that a standard 31.6 seat post will fit with the spacer removed but it only extends into the depth of the spacer so you end up with about ½ inch of adjustment. I never lower my post while I’m riding so I went with it to save the weight of the spacer.

I imagine the clamp would be fairly typical for bikes that use the 31.8mm seat post.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    BTW if anyone out there is interested in a medium contact me.

If there is interest I'll start another classified.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Rideandshoot@
    Thank you for the reply.
    I mean "Seat Collar".
    I searched on web, and I may can use either 34.9 or 35mm collar for this frame.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey everyone. Just recently took my old Wild Hare out and the rear pivot points seem very loose. Is this a worn bushing or did the bushing actually eat the frame??? If anyone knows where to obtain replacement bushings your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Rainbow Cycles in California if I remember right.

I have two extra sets but am hesitant to part with them because I've been thinking about selling my frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by neilchops
    Hey everyone. Just recently took my old Wild Hare out and the rear pivot points seem very loose. Is this a worn bushing or did the bushing actually eat the frame??? If anyone knows where to obtain replacement bushings your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    It could be the bushings; however, check the bolts. The bushings not only eat the frame, but also the bolts. Remove them and check. I remember changing out both bolts and bushings in an effort to remove slop. It worked until the frame developed wear. I heard that some of the last PW bikes had stainless steel on tha frame contact points to limit wear.

I guess the problem is what to do if the bolts and bushings are worn. Parts could be a serious problem.

Too bad. If only PW used bearings . . . .

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by rideandshoot
    If your are a Psycle Werks Wild Hare fan I need you...

I have a size medium for sale in the classifieds that I bought for my son a few years ago. It was in great condition when I got it. The guy I bought it from had numerous bikes and obviously hadn't ridden it too much. My son virtually never rode it either. It has a Manitou Swinger SPV on it. It's in terrific condition… pivots smooth and tight.

It's really a little too big for both of us. He's 5' 7" and I'm 5'6". If you ride one you know it was way ahead of it's time, built very tough and with a light shock fairly light due to the bushing instead of bearing design.

I have two sets of extra bushings and a derailleur hanger.
    Do you still have the bushing and hanger set? Id be very interested in buying that from you if so.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    Do you still have the bushing and hanger set? Id be very interested in buying that from you if so.
    One of two things is going to happen to mine. I'm going to give it to my son to ride when he moves out (the stipulation will be that he rides it or gives it back to me to sell) or I'm going to sell it. Either way the spares are important so I'd better hang on to 'em.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

not quite spam

First the bike isn't for sale yet. I bought it for my son because he likes to ride off small drops and jumps so I thought the durability coupled with reasonably light weight would be perfect. I guess what I should have said he used to like to ride off small drops and jumps because he has only been on the bike twice in the last two years! It’s also a little bit big for him. I’m wondering if I should sell it before it ages more. It has a Manitou Swinger shock on it and I still have the original fox vanilla shock

What do you think the frame would be worth? The existing pivots are still tight and smooth and I have a spare set.
    Last edited by rideandshoot; 09-06-2010 at 08:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Gotta Wild Hare

I've got to spin off a few of my favorites. Anyone interested in a Large PS Wild Hare, black, in nice condition? Post here, and I'll put in more details and contact info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Bushings can be bought here.
    http://www.igus.com/default.asp?PAGE...FRNSgwodFxfwnw

Large is: QFI-1012-08
    Small is: QFI-0809-04

I still have two that I ride. I have a med that is set up xc and a large that I set up AM. Great bikes.

J

banned
    Jan 2011

Ааааыыыыы

http://ya.ru самый лучший поисковик!!!!!!!! ПОТРИ ТЕМУ ИЛИ ЗАСРУ ФОРУМ,

yarrrp
    May 2007

yes interested

Hit me up in a pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by nutjob
    I've got to spin off a few of my favorites. Anyone interested in a Large PS Wild Hare, black, in nice condition? Post here, and I'll put in more details and contact info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Zombie Psycle Werks - almost Halloween - need help

Hello all-

My apologies for bringing a thread back from the dead... zombie Psycle Werks... I am the proud new owner of an older Psycle Werks Wildhare! Thus far, I can see what all the hype was 10 years ago, I love this bike!!!

I'm curious if any of you former Psycle Werks riders have any deceased frames? I've been on the phone a few times with Chuck at Rainbow and he has been very helpful in dating my frame and getting me some new decals. I've combed over this site collecting info, thanks to Jake21 for the bushing info, I can order the bushings (Jake's link) from Rhode Island for a few bucks or from Chuck for $40.00. Chuck wants $250.00 for a set of chainstays, that's simply not going to fly with me for now. So, between now and whenever, I'd like to take Pisgah's advice (thanks for the detailed reply to my questions) and try to collect some spare parts. Do any of you have a dead frame that you'd be willing to part with at a decent price? I'm really enjoying the ride of this Wildhare, I can see myself down the line investing some time and money into keeping this gem on the trail. Any help from you former Psycle Werks riders would be appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

Best regards,

-DON-

p.s. I'll post a picture or two in the next day or so...
    Last edited by neo_pop_71; 10-24-2012 at 04:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Rebuild specs

I just rebuilt the bike with many new parts and a full overhaul. The new parts include:
    Avid v-brake levers
    REAL cnc brake barrel adjusters
    Race Face stem
    Bontrager handlebar
    Race Face cnc large chainring
    SRAM race chain
    gear and brake housing/cables
    I have new tires too, they are not pictured

The rest of the components are:
    XT/LX rapid fire shifters (also overhauled in the tune up)
    XT v-brakes
    Chris King headset
    Marzocchi Z-1 Bomber fork (100mm travel)
    Fox Vanilla R rear shock (3.75" & 4.75" adjustable travel)
    ControlTech Easton seatpost
    Salsa Flip-Lock seatpost collar
    XT crankset
    XTR front deraileur
    XTR rear derailleur
    XTR hubs custom laced to WTB Laser rims
    SDG Grand Prix seat
    ODI Ruffian Lock-On grips
    Time ATAC pedals (not pictured)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-smpwwildhare1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow, that's a sweet build/rebuild. Yes, I still have mine. Well, actually, my original one is in the possession of my friend who broke her Amp a few years back. The one that I do have is from another friend who got a Turner Spot. We took all the parts of her PW and put it on the Turner. I got the old frame and resurrected it with all the old parts I had lying around (the original parts from my PW).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Wow, that's a sweet build/rebuild. Yes, I still have mine. Well, actually, my original one is in the possession of my friend who broke her Amp a few years back. The one that I do have is from another friend who got a Turner Spot. We took all the parts of her PW and put it on the Turner. I got the old frame and resurrected it with all the old parts I had lying around (the original parts from my PW).
    Thanks for the reply gmats!

Do you have any pictures of your Wildhare? I'd dig seeing how yours turned out, I'm intrigued by the idea that you put one together from spares! How much crossover is there from the Wildhare to the Turner Spot? Did parts swap straight across? Pisgah suggested I start collecting spare parts for down the line but in the last two weeks only a downhill frame ("Mad Dog"?) has popped up on the radar.

Thanks again and I hope to see some pics!

Best regards,

-D-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neo_pop_71 View Post
    Thanks for the reply gmats!

Do you have any pictures of your Wildhare? I'd dig seeing how yours turned out, I'm intrigued by the idea that you put one together from spares! How much crossover is there from the Wildhare to the Turner Spot? Did parts swap straight across? Pisgah suggested I start collecting spare parts for down the line but in the last two weeks only a downhill frame ("Mad Dog"?) has popped up on the radar.

Thanks again and I hope to see some pics!

Best regards,

-D-
    Um, no, I don't have any current pictures of the bike I have now.

The swap over for the Turner (my friend's bike) wasn't too bad. I passed the frame over, we got a new fork and some BB7 brakes. Otherwise, all the parts swapped over, wheels, drivetrain, controls, seat, seat post.

My original build from 1998 was with V-brakes, CK hubs laced to Mavic rims. The only real parts I don't have anymore (but had lying around) was the cranks. I had a set of Topline compact (94/58mm) crankset on the original. There is now a White Inudstries crankset on the bike. The bike is still being run with XT thumb shifters and 8 speed XTR drivetrain.

I guess this was close to the original bike way back in the 90's

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Awesome photo!!!

That's a great shot! I love the color contrast between the soil and rocks against the blue sky and white clouds! Where was this shot taken?

I notice you have a different rear shock then the stock coil over FOX Vanilla R that came on the frame, what rear shock are you running? I think a new rear shock would be my next upgrade, I'd like to have something a little more stout. If I could land one with a lock-out, that would be the best! I'm trying to track down some of those obscure Marzocchi Bomber disc brake adapters, they are not the standard width between the mounts. A guy over on Retrobike was making them but now he is not but he is making a post mount version. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he lets me know when they're available.

I recently built up a 1x9 96'er/69'er with Rick Hunter fillet brazed SuperCrown rigid 29'er fork, XTR and PAUL components... that bike really helped bring back my love of trail riding! However, riding the Wildhare is like that feeling from when I was a kid on my BMX bike... I love this bike!!!

Please let me know about that amazing picture, thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-alienhuntersm1.jpg  

Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-alienhuntersm2.jpg  

Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-alienhuntersm3.jpg  

Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-alienhuntersm4.jpg  

Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-alienhuntersm5.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's a great shot! I love the color contrast between the soil and rocks against the blue sky and white clouds! Where was this shot taken?

I notice you have a different rear shock then the stock coil over FOX Vanilla R that came on the frame, what rear shock are you running? I think a new rear shock would be my next upgrade, I'd like to have something a little more stout. If I could land one with a lock-out, that would be the best! I'm trying to track down some of those obscure Marzocchi Bomber disc brake adapters, they are not the standard width between the mounts. A guy over on Retrobike was making them but now he is not but he is making a post mount version. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he lets me know when they're available.

Please let me know about that amazing picture, thanks!
    That picture was taken on top of the 14,000 foot mountain Mauna Kea on the Big Island of Hawaii.

That shock along with the fork was the original lightweight build. That was either the Cane Creek or the Fox air shock. The front was a Judy with the Englund Air cartridges. Awesome, lightweight set up. The bike was down to about 22 lb back then.

Over the years, the bike evolved to about 25lb with the coil shock/fork. The Fox Vanilla fork and coil shock and Hayes disk brakes. I am including a current picture (the way it is now). My friend in Southern CA owns it. Still riding it minus the broken Topline Cranks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That picture was taken on top of the 14,000 foot mountain Mauna Kea on the Big Island of Hawaii.

That shock along with the fork was the original lightweight build. That was either the Cane Creek or the Fox air shock. The front was a Judy with the Englund Air cartridges. Awesome, lightweight set up. The bike was down to about 22 lb back then.

Over the years, the bike evolved to about 25lb with the coil shock/fork. The Fox Vanilla fork and coil shock and Hayes disk brakes. I am including a current picture (the way it is now). My friend in Southern CA owns it. Still riding it minus the broken Topline Cranks.

Thanks gmats for the reply! I thought that view looked familiar, about 20 years ago I made that hike on one of our family vacations... so many great memories from our many trips around those beautiful islands! Thanks again for including the awesome shot!

Geez, 22 lbs is a race worthy weight, then or now, and the 25 lbs is certainly a nice build... especially when you factor in the plush ride thanks to the great suspension! Mighty kind of you to share that Wildhare with your friend, I know that I couldn't be as generous but I am new to the frame and loving it!!!

How about the Wildhare that you built up for yourself? Do you have any pictures of that build? Oh, that reminds me, do you need a pair of top tube "Wildhare" decals with the paw prints? Chuck sent a pair of the original style decals and that's not what I ran on my frame. If you'd like them, just let me know and I'll gladly mail them your way. I'll attach a picture of them for reference.

Peace,

-DON-

p.s. Did you ride your Wildhare this weekend?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-wildharedecals.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks gmats for the reply! I thought that view looked familiar, about 20 years ago I made that hike on one of our family vacations... so many great memories from our many trips around those beautiful islands! Thanks again for including the awesome shot!

Geez, 22 lbs is a race worthy weight, then or now, and the 25 lbs is certainly a nice build... especially when you factor in the plush ride thanks to the great suspension! Mighty kind of you to share that Wildhare with your friend, I know that I couldn't be as generous but I am new to the frame and loving it!!!

How about the Wildhare that you built up for yourself? Do you have any pictures of that build? Oh, that reminds me, do you need a pair of top tube "Wildhare" decals with the paw prints? Chuck sent a pair of the original style decals and that's not what I ran on my frame. If you'd like them, just let me know and I'll gladly mail them your way. I'll attach a picture of them for reference.

Peace,

-DON-

p.s. Did you ride your Wildhare this weekend?
    Aloha Don,

Thanks so much for the nice comments. Yes, I believe the PW was so far ahead of its time. It took me years to decide to replace it. I'm riding a Turner Spot these days. Highly modified to my trail bike riding liking.

I don't have any current pictures of the bike I have now. Essentially "newer stickers", black powder coated frame. SID Sl fork. Most of the parts are from the older build, silver CK hubs 8 speed XTR, Mavic rims with Fire XC tires. XT V-brakes, thumb shifters, syncros seatpost. I think the bike is a tad over 26lbs. I never ride it anymore, it's like a spare bike for when people come to visit. A friend on the east side of the island is borrowing it now.

One of these days when I get it back, I'll get some pictures.

Thanks for the sticker offer, I have a couple of sets of stickers in file. You hold on to them for now, I'm sure you'll find a good use for them.

Aloha,
    g

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Does anyone know the shock size for the 1996/1998 Psycle Werks Wild Hare?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Shock size

Quote Originally Posted by ocyeti View Post
    Does anyone know the shock size for the 1996/1998 Psycle Werks Wild Hare?
    Hey ocyeti... I had the same question a few months back, I hit up a guy in England on Retrobike who had just rebuilt his P.W. Wild Hare, here is his reply:

Both "Eyes" measure M6X21.8mm for Manitou Swinger upgrade

Shock on the frame I purchased turns out to be a 6.5" eye-to-eye

I checked the shock on mine to be sure and the center of both mounting holes is 6.5 inches. That appears to have been a fairly common shock size on bikes built prior to 2002.

You could always contact Chuck at Rainbow Cycles, he bought up all the remaining Psycle Werks frames and parts. I sure he could confirm the shock info. Here are a couple links:

RBC - Mountain Bikes, MTB Rentals, Road Bike Rentals, Motos, Motor Scooters

Psycle Werks U.S. Crafted Bicycles

Do you have any backstory on your Wild Hare, is this a new bike in your stable?

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be glad to help out.

Peace,

-DON-

mtbr member
    I've got some bushings and a shock linkage arm from my old Psycle Werks that I don't need. If someone out there can use them, hit me up and I'll toss them in an envelope for you.
    Last edited by socaltrailrider; 08-03-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Great thread!
    OP I suggest you make another duplicate thread over in the vintage forum.

Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    This is a really cool thread to find! I still have the WH xc I bought new directly from PW back in 98. Haven't had much need for FS since I relocated to Dallas in 2001, so its pretty pristine, but the bushings are starting to creak when I take it out from time to time. I'll have to post a pic soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
    This is a really cool thread to find! I still have the WH xc I bought new directly from PW back in 98. Haven't had much need for FS since I relocated to Dallas in 2001, so its pretty pristine, but the bushings are starting to creak when I take it out from time to time. I'll have to post a pic soon.
    Sweet! Yeah! I still have one and still loving it. Rode it the other week on an epic 46 miler. Still fun! Fast. Light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sweet! Yeah! I still have one and still loving it. Rode it the other week on an epic 46 miler. Still fun! Fast. Light.
    Hey gmats,

It's D., you helped me out with my gray WildHare a couple years ago, nice to see you have your WildHare back and you're enjoying it! My gray WildHare has new loving home in England, a serious fan was reaching out to buy a frame on RetroBike UK. In the last couple years my Psycle Werks stable grew to 4 bikes. I added a 2002 Mad Dog, a 2004 Screamin' Demon, and a 2000 WildHare. The Mad Dog went to nephew in Washington and it's seeing some serious trails in B'ham and on the North Shore. As I had another WildHare that I rode more, I figured I'd help the guy out and offer my gray one to him. His plan was to strip, paint, and rebuild the WildHare himself. He restored and built his uncle's WildHare, that's what started his quest to find one. I've yet to receive any photos but I'm looking forward to seeing the bike. For the type of riding we have here in SoCal a WildHare for XC riding and a Screamin' Demon for everything else. I'm in the process of overhauling and rebuilding my Screamin' Demon, I'm almost done minus cables and deciding which tires to run. (Sorry, you'll have to forgive the non-drive side photo as it hung in my garage... thanks!)

Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-2004screamindemon.jpg

Recently, I built up my 2000 mango/black WildHare, it got a full overhaul with some new and recycled parts.

The components include:
    Titec/Jones H-Bar
    Magura Race Line hydraulic brakes with Altek CNC levers
    XT 3x9 shifters
    Cinelli Caleido bar wrap
    ODI CNC bar end plugs
    Kooka stem
    Chris King headset
    White Brothers SC70 fork
    Fox Float R air shock
    Salsa Flip-Lock collar
    Salsa Shaft seatpost
    SDG Ti/Kevlar Stars& Stripes saddle
    Kooka 46/34/24 cranks
    Time ATAC pedals with Winwood Decksters
    XTR derailleurs
    XT 9 speed cassette
    Ringle hubs laced to Sun XC TCB hoops
    Michelin Wild Gripper tires

Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-sm2000wildhare_side.jpgAnyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-sm2000wildhare_front.jpgAnyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-sm2000wildhare_pov.jpgAnyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-sm2000wildhare_h-bar.jpgAnyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-sm2000wildhare_drivetrain.jpgAnyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-sm2000wildhare_kookastem.jpgAnyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-sm2000wildhare_ringle.jpgAnyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-sm2000wildhare_uscrafted.jpg

When you have a chance please post some recent photos of your WildHare and what components you're running. I love to see how others set up this bikes. With such a solid frame... we can't go wrong!

Peace,

-D-

mtbr member
    Hey D

Love the mango Hare! Awesome... Mines not quite done yet but it's getting there

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Is there still a market for these things? I have one that I picked up maybe a decode ago but don't really ride anymore. I'm just wondering if it's worth more to someone out there than it is just sitting in my garage?

mtbr member
    I don't know about market. Though I personally still ride mine from time to time.

I like your attitude. A bike is a waste if it's not being ridden.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeegee View Post
    Is there still a market for these things? I have one that I picked up maybe a decode ago but don't really ride anymore. I'm just wondering if it's worth more to someone out there than it is just sitting in my garage?

I love mine! I'd be interested in giving your Psycle Werks a new home in my garage. Send me a PM with the frame size and othet specs.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I see this is an old post but my post on the wanted thread isn't getting any responses. I just got two NOS Psycle Werks frames, a Wild hare and a Screaming Demon and am looking for a rear triangle for both or one or the other. Any help would be appreciated. It looks like there are a few people here that still ride them so I thought I would try and bring this thread back to life. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by perryron View Post
    I see this is an old post but my post on the wanted thread isn't getting any responses. I just got two NOS Psycle Werks frames, a Wild hare and a Screaming Demon and am looking for a rear triangle for both or one or the other. Any help would be appreciated. It looks like there are a few people here that still ride them so I thought I would try and bring this thread back to life. Thanks.
    Hey perryron,

Contact Chuck at Rainbow Cycles in Irvine, CA, he bought up everything from the original owner. He had full frames, partials, derailleur hangers, and decals. Chuck is your best bet... good luck and keep us posted.

Peace

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    He closed up shop in September. These frames came from him by way of someone else from what I understand. I am still looking around here though. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Just want verification on the seattube/seatpost size. Google search finds that the seatpost size to be 27.2mm. I dropped a 27.2 post in my WH and it's too small. Was there a batch of these frame that may have been 30.9 (since my 31.6mm post didn't fit but not by a long shot)?

Almost done and nearly back to its original build back in 1999. Just waiting for a rare fork and rebuild of the 22mm direct mount hayes (PITA).
    Untitled by Orven Zaragoza, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    If you have the original build sheet I would love to have it. I hope to start mine after I get the screaming demon done.

mtbr member
    If you have the original build sheet I would love to have it. I hope to start mine after I get the screaming demon done.
    If you're referring to my WH, it's fairly basic as I was on a tight college budget in 1999 (Note: My friend I built this WH for left this bike outdoors in Japan when he was stationed there and sat outside in the elements for almost 8 years).
    Frame: PW WH 1999 model size med (MINT!! Bushings are tight, no wear and freshly lubed)
    Headset: FSA Pig DH (rebuilt)
    Stem: Specialized 25.4 x 100mm (will be replaced)
    Handlebar: Azonic Riser (will probably be replaced for safety reasons)
    Grips: WTB Dual Density (to be replaced with an Oury)
    Rear Shock: Fox Vanilla RC 600# spring (should probably be rebuilt but still works great)
    Shifters: Deore XT 3x8 spd (original and magically still very functional)
    Cranks: Deore XT 3 rings (immaculate condition)
    BB: XT JIS
    Deraileurs: Deore XT 3x8 spd
    Wheelset: Specialized Stout Hubs laced on Mavic X117 (In surprisingly great shape but I should probably repack the bearings and freehub)
    Cassette: Deore XT 11-28t 8 spd (couple gears are rusty)
    Chain: SRAM 8 spd (threw original one. rusted and seized)
    Brakes: Hayes Mag G1 pinch clamp lever body (unfortunately, I was not able to salvage these. Every part seized and severely corroded. I took extreme measures to salvage the rear half caliper sporting the 22mm direct mount and mated it with a used Hayes Mag with split clamp. Bought new seals and pistons, rebuilt and crossing fingers that there won't be any leaks after a fresh bleed. Original rotors have to be replaced too as they completely rusted out).
    Fork: The original RS Judy Hydracoil died before my friend went to Japan. So I updated it with a Manitou Nixon IT. Not sure I want to spend any more money in rebuilding this Nixon but I'm replacing it with something cooler.
    Seatpost: Some generic no brand two bolt post
    Saddle: Original was an SDG Slim Jim but my buddy replaced it with a Specialized Body Geometry seat. It was too ugly when I inherited this bike back and threw that godawful looking Spesh saddle and replaced it with an old school Velo racing saddle.
    Pedals: Original were Shimano SH 454. Still have them but I like the red OG 636 at the moment. I've been waiting for a retro project to use these red pedals.
    Tires: Original Michelin Hot S 26x2.2 tires. Some cracking around the knobs. Will probably replace these with Fire XC or WTB Moto Raptors - two tires I kinda liked back then.
    Can't wait to finish and ride this retro gem.

In progress
    Untitled by Orven Zaragoza, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Very cool. This will provide me with a place to start. I am aware they were a built to order bike but I am not that familiar with them so to see what others are doing helps. Thanks again and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzer View Post
    Just want verification on the seattube/seatpost size. Google search finds that the seatpost size to be 27.2mm. I dropped a 27.2 post in my WH and it's too small. Was there a batch of these frame that may have been 30.9 (since my 31.6mm post didn't fit but not by a long shot)?
    The frames came standard with a reducer to fit a 27.2 seatpost. I can't remember what the actual seat tube was. I think 31.6 but am not sure. If it's slightly too small, I wonder if you could've gotten one that wasn't reamed?? Suggestions: get some careful measurements done and order a properly sized reducer (I think came creek and problem solvers make them in 0.2mm increments and they're not expensive) for 27.2. Or if a 30.9 is just a hair too small, try some beer can shims.

I don't think many shops nowadays are equipped to team seat tubes. If you have a local frame builder, could be worth a shot.

Or does your 31.6 fit a short ways in? I don't think they were reamed full depth so you may just be missing a reducer.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Recently purchased a WH of my own. Haven't dug into it much but it rides and really just needs a tune up and some new cables. Any contact info for Chuck or are all the parts gone, sold? I'd like some new decals as I intend on getting it powder coated here soon.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've looked all over around the bb. Where do I find the serial number? Trying to date my wildhare. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Anyone know we’re I can get a swingarm set for disc brakes for a med wildhare thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I’m in need of a med swingarm for a wildhare disc brake set up can anyone help me thanks

mtbr member
    Looking to sell my Hare.
    Just can't put it on my rotation due to having to many bikes.
    I like to put my bikes into action. Not just collect dust regardless of its status (retro vs. main steed).
    Anyone interested? Send me an offer.
    Everything is fully restored. The tires are original so they may need replacing as the rubber are showing their age.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I need a Psycle werks wild hare med frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I need the rear swingarm for a Wild hare myself. Did you find one? I have resorted to looking at bikes on craigslist that I can buy and part out to get one. I have an extra Screaming Demon frame that might fit your needs. Frame minus the swingarm, I built this frame. Not sure of the size but can check.

Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-img_5976.jpg

mtbr member
    This is me attempting to fix the quotes assuming I didn't make anything worse:

Quote Originally Posted by pologirl
    I need the rear swingarm for a Wild hare myself.
    AFAIK, all the swingarms will fit all the bikes regardless of size or model. The exception might be the Maddog downhill frame from which the swingarm would still fit a Wild Hare or Screamin' Demon, but would not allow you to run a front derailluer. So a medium Wild Hare swingarm would fit a Large Screamin' Demon, etc.

Did you find one? I have resorted to looking at bikes on craigslist that I can buy and part out to get one. I have an extra Screaming Demon frame that might fit your needs. Frame minus the swingarm, I built this frame. Not sure of the size but can check.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5976.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	1205638
    Again, I think all the swingarms are compatible, but I'm pretty sure that's a large/20" frame based on the head tube gusset. Source: I worked at Psycle Werks in 1998 which was a year prior to the screamin' demon, but that frame mostly looks like my Wild Hare.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks for that info. I was wondering if they were compatible. I just completed a build on a Screaming Demon and now have a white Wild Hare I want to build. Actively looking for a rear swingarm. Just takes money, right?

Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-resized-small.jpg

Anyone still riding a PSYCLE WERKS Wild Hare?-frames-resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have a medium Wilde hare with standard brake mount for sale cheap - PM me maybe we can work something out

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Anyone know the years the frames used stickers/decals on headtube vs engraved PW? I have both so trying to figure it out.

Members who have read this thread: 21