Anyone know what year Yeti this is?- Mtbr.com

Dec 2003

Anyone know what year Yeti this is?

Picked this one up at a pawn shop a few years back. Spent a sh!tload of time cutting the seatpost out of it (it was VERY stuck) and replaced a blown up Manitou 3 with a rigid fork. But overall, it's been a pretty sweet pickup, especially considering how much I paid for it.

Steel FRO
    7-speed XT shifters/derailieurs
    Cook Bros Cranks
    DiaCompe Cantis
    XT hubs w/ Mavic 231 rims

Anyone know what year the frame might be from?

pics!" width="549">
    Last edited by Que?; 01-07-2004 at 05:52 AM.

VRC Illuminati
    If the parts are original, and based on the decal, certainly early 90's although I can say exactly what year. 91-93 perhaps.
    You might was to try yetifan.com for some additional info as well.

I gotta ask...how much did you pay for it!? I do love a vintage rescue story.

Quote Originally Posted by Que?
    Picked this one up at a pawn shop a few years back. Spent a sh!tload of time cutting the seatpost out of it (it was VERY stuck) and replaced a blown up Manitou 3 with a rigid fork. But overall, it's been a pretty sweet pickup, especially considering how much I paid for it.

Steel FRO
    7-speed XT shifters/derailieurs
    Cook Bros Cranks
    DiaCompe Cantis
    XT hubs w/ Mavic 231 rims

Anyone know what year the frame might be from?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Witty McWitterson
    DAMN! what kind of pawn shop did you go to? That's a sweet bike. FRO's are my favorite Yeti's. I lust after one big time. Nice find man...
    Just a regular guy.

Illuminati
    dude, that was a lucky find

[email protected] as mentioned above should be able to set you straight on the date.

I picked up a 1990 yeti FRO recently & thats gonna require some major loving to get it sorted

ta

scant

Old School
    With the Cook Bros cranks, that thing could possibly date back to the late '80's -- maybe 1989 or so.

Sweet..

Dec 2003

screamin' deal...

The pawn shop had a tag on it for $175. I walked out with it for $125.

Very happy with the outcome!

Thanks for all of the info...I'll check out yetfan.com.

-Que?

Witty McWitterson
    Holy shit man! I'd call that the deal of the century! I gotta find me a pawn shop like that. I can get a crappy specailized here if I want, thats about it.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel
    With the Cook Bros cranks, that thing could possibly date back to the late '80's -- maybe 1989 or so.

Sweet..
    Definitely not from the 80s. The seat clamp on the earlier models have a BMX style clamp, not a pinch bolt. The stickers (if they are original) are also newer. Atleast 92 I would say. Pre 1990 Yetis also had .833, BMX-size headsets. They went to 1 1/4" after that. One other visible difference is the front der cable has a guide on the seat tube. On the earlier models the cable housing went all the way to the front derailleur.

The california built FROs I think are the coolest.

Definitely a good deal though!

Retro Grouch
    Hi,

this is a Pro FRO. If the decals are the production ones I would say it`s a 1993, because it features the "welded style" cable stoppers on the top tube. Early Pro FROs from 1992 still had the original decals and Yeti changed to the "ARC style" riveted cable stoppers around 1994. Although it's not from Yetis "golden steel era" (that's the california years for me) still a great deal and a nice bike.

Greetings,

Michael

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Staab
    Hi,

this is a Pro FRO. If the decals are the production ones I would say it`s a 1993, because it features the "welded style" cable stoppers on the top tube. Early Pro FROs from 1992 still had the original decals and Yeti changed to the "ARC style" riveted cable stoppers around 1994. Although it's not from Yetis "golden steel era" (that's the california years for me) still a great deal and a nice bike.

Greetings,

Michael

Awesome...thanks for the info. Yep..the cable stops are welded, and it's got a little pulley that's used to guide the FD. The decals are original.

Interestingly, I was able to get ahold of a '93 Yeti catalog from someone on MTBR not long after picking up the bike!

Thanks again,

-Que?

Retro Grouch
    Hi,

btw, do yourself a favor and try to get an matching Yeti/Answer Accutrax Fork on Ebay or somewhere else. Much of the unique ride a Yeti offers comes from the fork.

Greetings,

Michael

mtbr member
    True, the Yeti short offset fork makes for a neat and unique steering bike.

Michael, what are the differences between the real Yeti fork and the Answer Accutrax?
    Does the Yeti have Campy dropouts. I know the Answer has a square shaped area for the axle, does the Yeti have this as well?

Retro Grouch
    Hi,

the Yeti/FTW Fork and the Accutrax are very similar. They differ in the bend of the fork legs at the crown. Also, the Accutrax was never avaiable in .833 BMX Size, so all FROs with BMX Headset feature an Yeti Fork. A small number of 1 1/4" FROs was also delivered with the original Yeti Fork before they changed to the Answer Accutrax. I don't know about other differences between the two forks, I think that wall thickness and offset are the same.

This Ultimate has an Accu Trax

And this FRO a Yeti Fork (this is btw the very first Yeti from 1984, built by John Parker for personal use)

Campagnolo dropouts were uses at the rear section until ca 1990. Some early FROs also feature simplex dropouts.

Regards,

Michael
    Last edited by Michael Staab; 01-14-2004 at 10:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Ive got a real early Accutrax with "PATCO" written on the steerer tube. So atleast the early Accutrax used the same tubing source and more than likely the same wall thickness.

Regarding the shape of the crown, the slope is a little steeper (less tire clearance) than the Accutrax right? The Yetis have a cool look to them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Ive got a real early Accutrax with "PATCO" written on the steerer tube. So atleast the early Accutrax used the same tubing source and more than likely the same wall thickness.

Regarding the shape of the crown, the slope is a little steeper (less tire clearance) than the Accutrax right? The Yetis have a cool look to them.
    hi michael

just to remind you: even if it has a bmx 1" headtube it still uses a regular 1" fork so the accu trax would have been available but i guess youīre right those 1" bmx yetis originally all came with yeti forks until they stopped making them. and another very rare feature on those 1" yetis is that there were about 50 of them which had a round top tube not the typical oval one.

ad
    Last edited by andy2; 01-14-2004 at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi,

uhh, ohh, yes. That BMX size thing is always confusing me. Maybe i will get it finally sorted out someday... BMX headset means that the steering tube is slightly bigger than 1" standard and the fork and stem are standard 1", right?

Nethertheless, all 1" FROs feature the original Yeti Fork.

Greetings,

Michael

yes thatīs right although itīs more like they are alomst 11/8 but not quite:-) should have bought that zebra i offered you:-) than you would have known.

greetings andreas

Retro Grouch
    Hi,

uhh, ohh, yes. That BMX size thing is always confusing me. Maybe i will get it finally sorted out someday... BMX headset means that the steering tube is slightly bigger than 1" standard and the fork and stem are standard 1", right?

Greetings,

Michael

Retro Grouch
    Hi,

you know I have an 1" FRO ;-). If I bought that Zebra my wife would get divorced... But she also knows that the last Yeti I want is an 17,5" 1" FRO for riding, so maybe one day i will finally get one.

Greetings,

Michael
    BTW, if you're interested in an C-26 just drop me an note.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Hi,

Greetings,

Michael
    Actually BMX steerers are 1" outside diameter, but have a thicker steerer wall. The inside diameter is 21.1mm instead of 22.2mm as with Euro/JIS 1" steerers. As to the frames, the headset cup insertion's the same but it was more common to see them using larger diameter bearings than typical road headsets).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Actually BMX steerers are 1" outside diameter, but have a thicker steerer wall. The inside diameter is 21.1mm instead of 22.2mm as with Euro/JIS 1" steerers. As to the frames, the headset cup insertion's the same but it was more common to see them using larger diameter bearings than typical road headsets).

not always and not essentially, my 90 jt ds yeti with original fork and stem hast a 1" bmx headset but a normal 22.2 stem same with my 19" yeti fro 1" bmx headset but regular 22.2 stem

mtbr member
    Hmm. Thats weird. Im not fortunate enough to have a 1"Yeti, so maybe they are different. I think maybe by 1990 BMX headsets accepted 22.2 stems??

But originally, BMX headsets were .833 and would not accept a 22.2 (.875 or 7/8") stem....

My first mountain bike was .833 and I was stuck with the original .833 bullmoose. I remember trying to retrofit a Tioga T-bone in 87 or so and it wouldnt work.

Maybe FTW made his stems .833. This would probably work in 22.2 ID steerer tubes I would imagine???

Retro Grouch
    Hi,

found a pic of an FTW/Yeti Fork compared to an Accu Trax. FTW/Yeti is on the left.

Jan 2004

Idea! Que?

Oh my. That is something. $125? Pawn shops, eh? hmmm... Um, say, I gotta go do something. I'll be back in a few hours. You all just stay right where you are till I get back...

Old School

Well, I just got my old Yeti back!

Pretty jacked!

Long story: I bought the steel Yeti FRO brand new back in the late 80's (can't remember if it was '88 or '89). This was the most beautiful piece of machinery I had ever seen. Gloss black powder coat, black cook brothers stem and bars. Top of the line (then) XT thumb shifters. Sweet.

Over the years I performed a few "upgrades" -- when suspension was "invented," I replaced the original fork with a Manitou. Later, the headset was acting up, I replaced it with a Chris King (threaded, no "KING" markings).

After several years, I sold it to my brother-in-law in order to finance a hot new aluminum Klein. I gave him the brochure, receipts, and the original fork (tucked nicely in the Manitou box). My btl rode it. Replaced the groupo. Replaced the cantis for V brakes. Replaced the wheel set. Replaced the bar and stem. But now...

...it's back!

Unfortunately, we're still looking for the Manitou box with the original rigid fork. We're also still looking for the little box with all the miscellaneous bits.

The Manitou is shot -- but other than that, the FRO rides like a fine machine.

*All of this headset talk has me confused. Maybe you guys can help me out? I can't recall, and I can't tell, if the headset is the .833" BMX or if it is 1". (in side-by-side comparison, it is smaller than 1 1/8, leaving me with the conclusion that it is not a 1 1/4" which is what I believed was the next evolution following the .833")*

In either case (.833 or 1"), does it still use a 1" threaded fork? (this may be an issue if I attempt to replace the original rigid fork).

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket rigid fork that would look and work close to original?

Some other interesting bits about this FRO:
    * 19"
    * black powder coat
    * CA built (Angora Hills)
    * round top tube
    * braze-on shoulder pad mounts at top tube/seat tube junction (pad in the mystery box)
    * front derailleur used braze-on cable anchor near bottom bracket (hard to explain).

I'm considering returning this to rigid and making it a singlespeed with the use of an essentric rear hub. Any thoughts?

Anyway...I just picked it up. I'll clean it up and post some pictures later this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Need a matching fork?

pics!" width="549">
    Que?,

maybe I can help you get a new fork for that baby ...

(:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Old School

I might...

I just sent you an email regarding details. Thanks.

Dec 2003

hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by (deger
    Que?,

(:
    Wow! Nice stash. Where'd you come up with those?

Might be interested. I don't really know a whole lot about the evolution of Yeti frames, but do those come in 1 1/4" steerers? Also, do you know of a place where I could pick up a threaded stem that would fit? I have the one that came with the bike, but it's just a tad too long for me.

-Que?

Jeez...this thread took off since I last looked....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    where to find a stem:
    call spin cycle in gainesville, florida. 352 273 3355. i think they have some fairly nice answer 1.25" threaded stems laying around.
    tim

Wow! Nice stash. Where'd you come up with those?

Might be interested. I don't really know a whole lot about the evolution of Yeti frames, but do those come in 1 1/4" steerers? Also, do you know of a place where I could pick up a threaded stem that would fit? I have the one that came with the bike, but it's just a tad too long for me.

-Que?

Jeez...this thread took off since I last looked....

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by (deger
    Que?,

(:
    I think I can out do you in fork stashes...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dec 2003

any of those have 1 1/4" steerers? (nm)

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I think I can out do you in fork stashes...

no tengo un cosa que quiero hablar aqui. (NM)