Anyone here?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Anyone here?

mtbr member

Anyone here?

Someone bought a WTB rollercam brake, yes one, on ebay for $775. Anyone here willing to cop to it? I don't think any brake is worth that but then again I don't own one.

WTB Rollercam Cunningham Potts Ibis Fat Chance RARE
    Item condition: Used
    Ended: Jan 17, 201019:00:00 PST
    Bid history: 18 bids
    Winning bid: US $775.55
    Shipping: $5.95US Postal Service Priority Mail Small Flat Rate BoxSee more services See discounts | See all details
    Estimated delivery within 5-6 business days
    Returns:
    7 day money back, buyer pays return shipping | Read details
    Coverage:
    Pay with and your full purchase price is covered | See terms

Seller info
    leb123 ( 2214 [Feedback score is 1,000 to 4,999] )
    100% Positive feedback
    Ask a question
    Save this seller
    See other items
    Other item info
    Item number: 280448351121
    Item location: Pawtucket, RI, United States
    Ships to: Worldwide
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by proto2000
    Someone bought a WTB rollercam brake, yes one, on ebay for $775. Anyone here willing to cop to it? I don't think any brake is worth that but then again I don't own one.

How about $825.00 instead?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1182

mtbr member
    Watched both of those go. The black one was the one I posted joking that the shipping was too high. I bid $51.11 on this one as my only bid. Liking my Suntours more and more...... These dudes have a different economic lifestyle than me and they know what they want......
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Watched both of those go. The black one was the one I posted joking that the shipping was too high. I bid $51.11 on this one as my only bid. Liking my Suntours more and more...... These dudes have a different economic lifestyle than me and they know what they want......

The last couple of minutes of the auction were ....looks like "8***7" got the boot pretty early in the running .

You're not kidding about different economic lifestyles...I try to keep my complete builds to roughly half what that single brake sold for .

Steve

mtbr member
    There were a few here bidding along the way, at the very least. The "c***s" thing doesn't tell you much, but some people's feedback numbers are familiar
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    I really liked this auction that recently Ended:

Mountain Goat 1983

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:WNA:US:1123

What a beaut.

Bike Dork
    Not to take anything from anybody here, but in general the REALLY serious collectors with deep pockets don't hang out on internet message boards. I've meet a few of them in person over the years and that seems to be their way. If you have something they want you might get to know them or if you work at their chosen LBS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    Not to take anything from anybody here, but in general the REALLY serious collectors with deep pockets don't hang out on internet message boards. I've meet a few of them in person over the years and that seems to be their way. If you have something they want you might get to know them or if you work at their chosen LBS.
    I don't think having deep pockets neccessarily makes you any more serious than the collectors that hang out on internet message boards.
    Wanted:Nothing. I have too much.

mtbr member
    "the REALLY serious collectors with deep pockets don't hang out on internet message boards"

I believe it depends on passion for the hobby and the desire to spend some free time communicating with others who share that same passion, more than economic status.

VRC Hound
    In perspective, you don't need to have deep pockets to spend $800 on a set of rollercams. It is a big chunk no doubt, but definitely within reach if anyone wants it. That said, too much for me right now.

Bike Dork
    Read my first sentence again. REALLY isn't in the terms of better it in the terms of seriousness and dedication to collecting these bits. If you met these folks you'd understand. The collecting is the main thing for them. These folks show their faces in private and at the major auctions, but rarely anywhere else.

If you read this board 99% of folks here are about getting a great deal on some old stuff. If someone pays what the board believes is "too much" for a part they get derided as crazy. We've all seen this in threads before over and over again. This is just one more reason the hardcore collectors don't post here, though a few of them do lurk from time to time I'm sure.

mtbr member
    These folks show their faces in private and at the major auctions, but rarely anywhere else.

Are you talking about mountain bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    Are you talking about mountain bikes?

haha.

don't tell him the guys that bought the Goat and the brake both post here.

mtbr member
    FB, I have read here on vrc about your bucket of WTB.... Are you tactfully unloading one set of rollercams at a time as you invest in something a bit more secure for your sons college fund.
    Cheer,
    T

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    FB, I have read here on vrc about your bucket of WTB.... Are you tactfully unloading one set of rollercams at a time as you invest in something a bit more secure for your sons college fund.
    Cheer,
    T

No, I'm still trying to fill it.

VRC Illuminati
    4 - early roller cams
    4 - speedmasters
    1 - toggle cam

I'm rich!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

VRC Illuminati

I'm not offended and I don't have deep pockets myself...but that seems like a difficult statement to back up.

Logically, only a fraction of the vintage mtb 'collecting' community (to what ever capacity that is) is posting on a forum with the frequency that we do...deep pockets or not.
    -eric-

artistic...
    someone should replicate those brakes and sell it. If they are that good.
    i still like rim brakes over discs.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    I don't think economic status is at all relevant to this forum. I personally have very little disposable income, but I enjoy reading the boards here because of my love of bikes - I don't resent those who are able to devote more time and money to VRC. In fact I have a great appreciation for the members who probably spend the greater part of their disposable income on their VRC hobby and are then good enough to share their collections and knowledge with the rest of us.

$800 for a brake? Anything that is for sale is worth as much as you're willing to pay for it. If you really have a strong desire to own something its price becomes irrelevant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    someone should replicate those brakes and sell it. If they are that good.
    i still like rim brakes over discs.

Yea, but what would you pay for a replica?

fake Picasso?

artistic...
    Yea, but what would you pay for a replica?

fake Picasso?
    as long as it works, why not? it's a brake, not sculpture.
    I would pay whatever a good rim brake should cost. No more no less. $150 per wheel?

mtbr member
    I would pay whatever a good rim brake should cost. No more no less. $150 per wheel?
    that's the problem,
    you couldn't produce them TODAY at that price.

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I'm not offended and I don't have deep pockets myself...but that seems like a difficult statement to back up.
    Fine. Folks don't have to believe anything I say, as they rarely do anyway. Back to lurking I guess.

VRC Illuminati
    Fine. Folks don't have to believe anything I say, as they rarely do anyway. Back to lurking I guess.
    Ah geez, don't go crying about it.
    -eric-

Jan 2010
    as long as it works, why not? it's a brake, not sculpture.
    Seems to me, the price paid and the quality of the brake have little to do with each other. I doubt a repro would be all that successful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wow, I thought I did alright when I sold my WTB's with boosters to some guy in Switzerland a number of years ago. I don't recall the price, but it was nowhere close to $800. Crazy.

Wonder what my macaroni stem and 2 set of speedmasters would fetch!

-Schmitty-

Fan of 'Hams
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    ...Wonder what my macaroni stem and 2 set of speedmasters would fetch!
    That was a "SpeedMaster".

Fat City Michael
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    4 - early roller cams
    4 - speedmasters
    1 - toggle cam

I'm rich!

FATMIKEYNYC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    In perspective, you don't need to have deep pockets to spend $800 on a set of rollercams. It is a big chunk no doubt, but definitely within reach if anyone wants it. That said, too much for me right now.
    I agree $800 doesn't really seem that much for a bike component old or otherwise.

There are people that can easily drink away a lot more than $800 over relatively short period too. I'd say its more what you spend your money on rather than how much you have.
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki
    If you really have a strong desire to own something its price becomes irrelevant.
    Unless you can't afford it!

-Schmitty-

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil
    I agree $800 doesn't really seem that much for a bike component old or otherwise.

There are people that can easily drink away a lot more than $800 over relatively short period too. I'd say its more what you spend your money on rather than how much you have.
    susp fork is 500 bucks.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    susp fork is 500 bucks.
    And that's for mid-range - my wife's SID WC retails for $1200+, when you consider how easy it is to find one of those $800 for an extremely rare brake seems more reasonable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    Unless you can't afford it!

-Schmitty-
    But isn't that why banks give you credit cards??
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

Spin it again
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BULLSEYE-BMX-Vin...item4a9e0a9b81
    !!!!!

$800 for speedmasters is looking like chump change compared to these

Sure glad I'm into vintage MTB, not vintage BMX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshade_rider
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BULLSEYE-BMX-Vin...item4a9e0a9b81
    !!!!!

$800 for speedmasters is looking like chump change compared to these

Sure glad I'm into vintage MTB, not vintage BMX
    I've said it before and will say it again - we should all be thankful that we primarily aren't into skateboards or BMX. As illustrated above or almost every month on Skate and Annoy, those two habits are in different galaxies to VRC.

What's the issue here? Those are - without question - the most iconic early MTB brakes and when set up correctly have a feel that is second to none. I'd buy those brakes at something close to that price if I had something to put them on and kick myself for not setting a few pairs aside when they only really expensive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats
    I've said it before and will say it again - we should all be thankful that we primarily aren't into skateboards or BMX. As illustrated above or almost every month on Skate and Annoy, those two habits are in different galaxies to VRC.

What's the issue here? Those are - without question - the most iconic early MTB brakes and when set up correctly have a feel that is second to none. I'd buy those brakes at something close to that price if I had something to put them on and kick myself for not setting a few pairs aside when they only really expensive.
    My kids were still using all my original owner 70's vintage boards mostly up and down the driveway. One day, The older neighbor kid came over ballistic with my old Krypto deck in his hands. He looked exactly like we would look if we caught some neighbor kid leaving skid marks and doing powerslides on their dads biplane Everest. Cracked me up because I no longer have that passion for my old skateboards. Decided it was time to put them all up in the attic for a while. I would trade the whole lot for a good front and rear set of WTB's

mtbr member
    that's the problem,
    you couldn't produce them TODAY at that price.

Somebodies never been to Taiwan or China You could probably also do them in the US for $150 retail but you'd be two stepping and not selling them through a distributor that then sells them to a shop or final customer.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Members who have read this thread: 0