Anyone familiar with Roger de Vlaeminck Ti bikes?- Mtbr.com
    Uncle

Anyone familiar with Roger de Vlaeminck Ti bikes?

Just picked up an older Ti MTB frame -- "Roger de Vlaeminck" & "made Italy" is all it says, though the head tube sticker has a Colnago-esque clover before the "Roger de Vlaeminck" -- both just below a photo of his mulleted head

Anyone heard of such a bike, or have info on the builders?
    Last edited by Entrenador; 12-09-2005 at 01:14 AM.

Safe

Roger de Vlaeminck was a Belgian pro who had his heyday in the 1970s winning the Paris Roubaix four times. I've never heard of de Vlaeminck bikes (which proves nothing ), however there does appear to be a Roger de Vlaeminck shop. Maybe some connection there. Any pics of the frame?

mtbr member
    I have nothing else to go on, but based solely on the quality of RdV's sideburns, you'll have the coolest bike around.
    Show me your Toads. Old Brodies, too.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004

A Sunday in Hell

You've got to watch "A Sunday in Hell" for a take on the 1976 Paris-Roubaix and the classic battle. Features Merckx and DeVlaeminick. Could be one of the best cycling films ever.

Uncle

Ti frame; no camera; go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    Just picked up an older Ti MTB frame -- "Roger de Vlaeminck" & "made Italy" is all it says, though the head tube sticker has a Colnago-esque clover before the "Roger de Vlaeminck" -- both just below a photo of his mulleted head

Anyone heard of such a bike, or have info on the builders?
    I'll see if one of my 21st century friends has a digital camera. Maybe today's the day to go buy one...

I'll keep you posted.

Uncle

RDV Ti hard tail; Finally bought a camera, so here it is:

The headtube label is not aligned very well, so I wonder if it's just something someone put on there (mullets are pretty sweet, afterall), or if it was a lousy label job from the factory.

What says you wise ones?
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    The headtube label is not aligned very well, so I wonder if it's just something someone put on there (mullets are pretty sweet, afterall), or if it was a lousy label job from the factory.

What says you wise ones?

Am I wrong in thinking those drop outs and brake bosses look more like steel than Ti?

Any close ups of them?

Uncle

Oohhh! Another opportunity to use this litte gem...

Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    Am I wrong in thinking those drop outs and brake bosses look more like steel than Ti?

Any close ups of them?
    The close ups didn't come out too well. I'm pretty sure this isn't conventional Chromo, as the shape of the drops look different than the ones I've seen. Then again, this is, according to the label, "made Italy", so I've been enlightened before.

I'm pretty darn smart, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if this is a steel frame. Here you go; what do you think?

Ho*y Sh!t, is this maybe stainless steel? Even the surface texture of the metal is different than any steel frames I've seen.

Maybe time to go visit my nephew, Bonzo?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cleavage Of The Tetons

Bust out the magnet...

Magnets never lie.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Uncle

OKAY, so where do I find a lying magnet?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Magnets never lie.
    Just pulled off of the fridge. Stuck like the proverbial dog sh!t to my shoe.

Strange appearance to this RDV steel frame. The drops are thick & somewhat square-edged. The surface of the metal is not smooth like most chromo frames I've seen. There's also no sign of decay anywhere, despite the fact that it was used & abused as a commuter by atleast one previous owner. Did people elsewhere bother using stainless steel to build frames at one point?

Thanks for pointing out the numbness of my skull. I guess it's better to see clearly the feces in which one stands than to stay in the fog of blindness.

banned
    Just pulled off of the fridge. Stuck like the proverbial dog sh!t to my shoe.

Strange appearance to this RDV steel frame. The drops are thick & somewhat square-edged. The surface of the metal is not smooth like most chromo frames I've seen. There's also no sign of decay anywhere, despite the fact that it was used & abused as a commuter by atleast one previous owner. Did people elsewhere bother using stainless steel to build frames at one point?

Thanks for pointing out the numbness of my skull. I guess it's better to see clearly the feces in which one stands than to stay in the fog of blindness.

Columbus made a stainless/chromo mix in the early 90's. Wasn't too popular though.

So, to confirm. This is a chromo frame?

Uncle

The magnet did stick, so it's not Ti. I'm guessing it might

be that stainless/chromo combo you mentioned -- Columbus is Italian, yeah? Weird frame. Originally had canti brakes (cable guide by the seat clamp), so I'm guessing you're dead on with the year. It has an allen head bolt right at the end of the seat monostay & between the seat stays. It doesn't seem to have a purpose, so I'm baffled. Fender mount, perhaps? Were the chromo/stainless frames originally touring frames (rack braze ons and the centered single allen bolt)?

Sometimes you find the needle, sometimes it's just handfuls of hay.

mtbr member
    Sometimes you find the needle, sometimes it's just handfuls of hay.
    I have no idea what it is, but it looks like a decent frame. What's it weigh?
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Uncle

Don't know, but upon tearing it down to the frame

Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    I have no idea what it is, but it looks like a decent frame. What's it weigh?
    and headset cups, it's not light. 18 lbs maybe? Kidding -- probably about 5-6 lbs. I figured that if it were Ti & still that heavy, that it must have been some serious straight gauge tubing, or even solid Ti rods.

I'm thinking SS with a rigid or old Judy fork perhaps. At this point, I'm trying to build it into something interesting while still cutting my losses.

mtbr member
    and headset cups, it's not light. 18 lbs maybe? Kidding -- probably about 5-6 lbs. I figured that if it were Ti & still that heavy, that it must have been some serious straight gauge tubing, or even solid Ti rods.

I'm thinking SS with a rigid or old Judy fork perhaps. At this point, I'm trying to build it into something interesting while still cutting my losses.
    The lightest steel frame (of that vintage) that you're likely to find would be 4 pounds or just over. Throw in 1/4 pound (or just under) for the headset cups, and you're looking at 4.25 to 4.5 pounds for the absolute lightest frame. If yours is 5 pounds, I'd say that was still a very light frame.

Titanium is certainly lighter, but not something that is going to make that big of a difference. I have a Bontrager Race Lite and Ti Lite. The steel frame is just over 4 pounds, and the Ti version is about 3.75 pounds. Saving 1/4 to 1/2 pound is quite a bit, but when you factor in the weight of the rest of the components, it's not that big of a deal (changing tires can have more effect on the total weight).
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Cleavage Of The Tetons

I had a Park Pre 24" cruiser frame made of that stuff...

But I think it was reynolds or Tange. I had canti studs and a derailleur hanger mounted on it, put on Magura HS33-s, and ran it as a serious rock-crawler-cvm-trials type rig. The finish was so decieving,(nickle plated,I imagine) for a lark, I stripped it, and put on a complete set of Merlin decals...that fooled many, many yuppies in Moab. I thought it was hilarious at the time.

That all being spewed, build her up anyway...just cause' her pimp said she had special skills in one depatment doesn't mean she do other things well....
    Last edited by rideit; 12-28-2005 at 09:59 PM.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

tl1
    Bicyclist
    be that stainless/chromo combo you mentioned -- Columbus is Italian, yeah?
    Yes Columbus is Italian and they were the makers of Metax stainless steel tubing. Maybe it is that stuff. It certainly appears to be stainless steel if it's not Ti.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

My Vote Goes To Nickle Plating

It looks too much like Ti to be stainless in my opinion. I would guess that is is regular old steel tubing by (insert your favorite tubing manufacturer here) that has been nicle plated for durability. Ala Salsa stems, Sweet Wings cranks, and I have had 2 Colnago MTB framesets that were nickle plated prior to painting.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    It looks too much like Ti to be stainless in my opinion. I would guess that is is regular old steel tubing by (insert your favorite tubing manufacturer here) that has been nicle plated for durability. Ala Salsa stems, Sweet Wings cranks, and I have had 2 Colnago MTB framesets that were nickle plated prior to painting.
    That probably makes a lot more sense than it being stainless steel. It's kind of hard to tell much from the pics though, they are kind of sepia toned on my home monitor (which is getting darker all the time anyway). If it is nickel plating, it looks kinda nice and apparently protects well too, as 105mmOP said there was no rust whatsoever on the frame.

No Justice = No Peace

Yup, Nickel

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne

I have seen dirt bike frames plated like this. I aqm sure that is what it is. ANd BTW, true stainless is not magnetic. Ti and Stainless would both drop a refrigerator magnet, but Cro-Mo would not.

there.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Found this while looking up RdV, and this, I believe, is a Colnago-made cyclocross frame. I've only seen one and it was a 70s one, when he was the king of 'cross. Sweet frame for the nostalgia factor! Hope it's getting some miles!

Members who have read this thread: 33