mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Anybody have a old American?

American was a company based out of MN and made soem pretty sick bikes in the early 90's before they went out. I had a Comp Lite and another one that ran a 24" in the rear. I'd like to track one down again.

Anybody?
    Need recycled bike art? PM me!

Need old parts? PM me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Beau,

I too remember the American rides...beautiful aluminum with hard coated anodized finishes, different from alot of ano parts because these were "military spec", which simply put meant that they were anodized at a higher temp that creates a deeper pore for a thicker dye finish.

I'd love to run across one as well. Saw one in Dirt Rag's classifieds a few years back but it was beat to hell, dings throughout...really wanted one that was a bit more pristine that I could dent myself

If I run across two, I'll drop you a line

rody

VRC Illuminati
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Ohhh! found one for ya'

Ok man, don't say I never showed you any love....

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/forksand.htm

Scroll down about half the page and check out an M 16 for sale in excellent condition at FirstFlight.

Lucky for you it's too small for me :^)

cheers,

rody

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    An LBS has a couple of them. I don't know if they're for sale or not. They may be both road bikes anyhow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by steef
    An LBS has a couple of them. I don't know if they're for sale or not. They may be both road bikes anyhow.
    Cool. I tracked another one down! The one with the 24" rear wheel. Hopefully I can get it from the guy!

EDIT! Found it! It's a Steeplejack! 26" front wheel, 24" rear!
    Last edited by Beau; 10-02-2005 at 12:49 PM.

Need old parts? PM me!

Steel is Real!
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau
    Cool. I tracked another one down! The one with the 24" rear wheel. Hopefully I can get it from the guy!

EDIT! Found it! It's a Steeplejack! 26" front wheel, 24" rear!
    Do I remember correctly that American had a Berylium (sp?) frame - all drilled out at one of the shows that cost something like 18000USD. Clearly never productionised but it got them a lot of headlines.
    Wanted: Bontrager TI LITE in medium please

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Crell
    Do I remember correctly that American had a Berylium (sp?) frame - all drilled out at one of the shows that cost something like 18000USD. Clearly never productionised but it got them a lot of headlines.

YUP!!!!!

Need old parts? PM me!

mtbr member
    YUP!!!!!
    i remember that thing. $25,000. aluminum lugs were way overbuilt, and the fork was rigid. I lusted after the American M-16 as a replacement frame for my old '91 Fisher Montare. Too bad they're gone, all gone......

American's welds were better than anything i've ever seen, even beat yeti and early Manitou FS and HT frames.

mtbr member

Scored one at the Denver Veloswap

I just scored a plain aluminum american frame at the Denver veloswap. I am very excited. I just need to figure out what model it is. Sky thinks it might be a Breezer. I will post pics later. It has the plain finish and the replaceable derailleur hanger, so I think it might be a standard american model. Any ideas? I also scored an early 90s Breezer Lightning frame and fork out there. What a great show. If I had any time off, I would fly out to the veloswap in SF.
    Scotty

mtbr member

American Berillium

Quote Originally Posted by misctwo
    i remember that thing. $25,000. aluminum lugs were way overbuilt, and the fork was rigid. I lusted after the American M-16 as a replacement frame for my old '91 Fisher Montare. Too bad they're gone, all gone......

American's welds were better than anything i've ever seen, even beat yeti and early Manitou FS and HT frames.

I heard that Berillium bike was stolen at a bike show.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Whats The Serial Number Of The American?

Also measure the chainstays...that's a quick way to rule out it being an M16.

mtbr member

American

It doesn't have the same cable braze ons as the 16 in the picture I saw. I will get the serial number tonight. Where is it at? BB?

mtbr member

American serial number and chainstay length (16"?)

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    Whats The Serial Number Of The American?

Also measure the chainstays...that's a quick way to rule out it being an M16.
    I can't post pics right now, but the serial number is OM9178. If I measure the chainstays from the middle of the rear dropout (where the axle would be) to the rear of the bottom bracket shell, it is 16". If I am measuring it right, I guess it could be an M16. I was kinda hoping it was a Breezer.

Scotty

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMTB
    I just scored a plain aluminum american frame at the Denver veloswap. I am very excited. I just need to figure out what model it is. Sky thinks it might be a Breezer. I will post pics later. It has the plain finish and the replaceable derailleur hanger, so I think it might be a standard american model. Any ideas? I also scored an early 90s Breezer Lightning frame and fork out there. What a great show. If I had any time off, I would fly out to the veloswap in SF.
    Scotty
    Scotty, don' t come out to SF. There are already several of us here that will have to go head to head with Sky!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Scotty, don' t come out to SF. There are already several of us here that will have to go head to head with Sky!
    Eric,
    What is up? Sky took me to school and I dropped out. I would love to get out there. I had so much fun at Veloswap. I learned alot from the masters, but it will be a long time or maybe never, before I am any competition for Sky, or any of you big dogs. I tell you one thing, I am going to hire some cutie to sell my stuff and I am going to run around the whole time and spend money.

Sky and crew, thanks for the brews and hospitality. Next time it is my turn. I will be better prepared. ScottyMTB (formerly ScottyBMX).

mtbr member

American

Sorry I hijacked this thread for my frame ID. I started a new thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Scotty

Choo Choo

What's The Shop?

I am interested. I would be even MORE interested if they were road frames!
    "A Pound Of Nuts Is Simply Not Enough To Keep My Rage At Bay" - PTH

mtbr member

American Tandem

American was a company based out of MN and made soem pretty sick bikes in the early 90's before they went out. I had a Comp Lite and another one that ran a 24" in the rear. I'd like to track one down again.

Anybody?
    The wife and I have been beating on this thing for years. Best handling tandem we've ever ridden. We bought a Ventana FS tandem so this one may be going up for sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnutty
    The wife and I have been beating on this thing for years. Best handling tandem we've ever ridden. We bought a Ventana FS tandem so this one may be going up for sale.

that thing is sick!

mtbr member
    I bought a new brushed Comp Lite back in 91. Gave it to my nephew with the committment he would wash my car 10 times (this bike was worth way more to me than I could ever sell it) just to encourage him to get into riding. He was about 16 (late 90's). Now that I think about it, he still owes me 5 car washes. I also still have a polished 1990 Rodriguez AL 26 Mtn Tandem that looks just like MTBNUTTY's. I believe It was made for Rodriguez by American. Rodriguez never worked with Aluminum and I believe contracted out the AL 26's to American to build. Only complaint with both these classics is the riveted on derailuer hangers (poor design).

mtbr member

I love my Breezer Built American

I love my American Built Breezer
    Pretty Welds, and great riding qualities associated with all ABM bikes.
    Last edited by crconsulting; 04-02-2008 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    I love my Breezer Built American
    Pretty Welds, and great riding qualities associated with all ABM bikes.

another neat bike. I have to say, those stems are one of the most beautiful ever made.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    and Joe is nicely positioned next to the seat tube

mtbr member
    Awesome bike. That brings back memories. I was too poor from buying the frame to get the American stem.

mtbr member
    Here is my 1990 Rodriguiz AL 26. I just recently converted from Mtn to Road use. Bought it 17 years ago. Pretty sure it was made by American for Rodriguez. Looks exactly the same as an American Tandem and Rodriguez never worked with aluminum.
    Attachment 348577

Attachment 348579

Attachment 348580
    Last edited by tductape; 03-01-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Pretty sure it was made by American for Rodriguez.
    Yes, it was. That looks great converted to road use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If anyone is still looking for an American Breezer, there is one at a shop in Bozeman MT. Summit Bikes 406-587-1064 ask for Steve or the senior Ben. It is a complete with pretty cool components. I tell them they could probably get what they want out of the Purple Chris King headset alone( being that it is Ebay Gold and all). I am not affiliated with this shop, just letting you know of a cool bike. By the way this is a pretty cool shop.
    Happy Trails

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Awesome bike. That brings back memories. I was too poor from buying the frame to get the American stem.
    Trek used those stems on an early 90's carbon/aluminum bike and were blowing the stems out for like $1 a couple of years later......should have bought 'em all.

mtbr member
    Here is my 1990 Rodriguiz AL 26. I just recently converted from Mtn to Road use. Bought it 17 years ago. Pretty sure it was made by American for Rodriguez. Looks exactly the same as an American Tandem and Rodriguez never worked with aluminum.

I always wanted one of those
    could never convince the wife though.

I think the line:
    "Remember honey, when I yell jump" had something to do with it

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Holy old thread!

Need old parts? PM me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

American Breezer??

I need your help to identify this American frame. I believe that it is an American Breezer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bestmtb
    I need your help to identify this American frame. I believe that it is an American Breezer.
    How long are the chain stays? And what is the serial number?
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Attachment 350194

Capital Forest Early 1990's
    1991 American Comp Light

mtbr member
    Attachment 350206

Touring Europe on the American early 1990's ( so it was the only bike I had). We had some of the first foldable smokes in our gear and would switch to Mtn biking when we found some fun. Believe this was in Lucca where we stopped to watch the worlds. Tomac Overend ... they were all there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Yes, I have Rodriguez (American) AL26 polished AL mountain tandem that has been sitting in my garage unused for many years. I bought it in around 1991. It is in fine shape (no dents or scratches), but needs work to restore it back to riding condition. Hopefully, someone will make me and offer.

Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 21