any one know any thing about old bmx bikes- Mtbr.com
    the test dummy

any one know any thing about old bmx bikes

i know its not a mountain bike but a friend of mine gave it to me and its older so i thought i would ask here. and i wanted to see if some one could give me some info on it. all i know is its a gt freestyle pro and it has team stickers on the back of it which i don't think mean any thing. and also its a kromo frame and thats the only reason i took it. if you need more pics just ask . i only have a camera phone so bear with me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails any one know any thing about old bmx bikes-gt-bmx.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Frame looks to be late 80s maybe early 90s. Not in high demand. Pre Ahead type stem (I think) set but with Potts Mod rotor). Close up pics would help.

Are the rims Sun, Araya or just generic knock offs? Looking for a brand name.

However the cranks (look like cook bros with dx pedals) could be nice stuff. Not super high doller (like early Flights, Profile or Aerospeed) but nice and conceivably worth more than the bike itself

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Late 1990s Gt Performer, threadless stem/fork. Welded steel 3-piece crank - not Cooks, pedals are either generic or GT branded DX knock-offs. Looks in good shape, but no, it's not a mountain bike, it's not even designed to ride off road. I see one of these a week on craigslist, just in case you were wondering if it's rare or valuable.

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by ASI CA
    Frame looks to be late 80s maybe early 90s. Not in high demand. Pre Ahead type stem (I think) set but with Potts Mod rotor). Close up pics would help.

Are the rims Sun, Araya or just generic knock offs? Looking for a brand name.

However the cranks (look like cook bros with dx pedals) could be nice stuff. Not super high doller (like early Flights, Profile or Aerospeed) but nice and conceivably worth more than the bike itself
    anything in particular you need a close up of
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    OK, you can just ignore my post, but the other poster clearly doesn't know what he's talking about - sorry ASI CA, but your post is full of wrong info.

If you want to be told the same thing I told you by someone else you should try here:

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gt_bicycles/28375

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Mr.Mechagoki,

Ignore perhaps, but at least he read it.

If you read it again you will note that I use words and phrases like "looks to be", "close up pics would help","looks like" and "could be", indicating a certain amount of uncertainty in my post, of which was part of what I was trying to convey.

I did not use "It is a" and "that is a" etc.

Insanitylevel read and understood that content and responded accordinly.

As long as Insanity is asking, close up pictures of the drive side crank and pedal would clarify and will answer my concern and address yours.

As for old bmx stuff, I might know something about the period from 1975 to 85, after that I know a less.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ASI CA
    Mr.Mechagoki,

Ignore perhaps, but at least he read it.

If you read it again you will note that I use words and phrases like "looks to be", "close up pics would help","looks like" and "could be", indicating a certain amount of uncertainty in my post, of which was part of what I was trying to convey.

I did not use "It is a" and "that is a" etc.

Insanitylevel read and understood that content and responded accordinly.

As long as Insanity is asking, close up pictures of the drive side crank and pedal would clarify and will answer my concern and address yours.

As for old bmx stuff, I might know something about the period from 1975 to 85, after that I know a less.
    Well, I did read your post again, and you're right, it is totally vague and basically pointless. Thanks for drawing my attention to that, re-reading the post also allowed me to spot your unusual spelling of the word 'dollar' - a regional variation perhaps?

And if Insanitylevel9 is so great at understanding written English, why is he posting questions about freestyle bikes in a vintage/retro/classic mountain bike forum? I mean, this is MTBR forums, not BMXR forums, he's not even at the right site. I answered his question simply hoping to kill the thread and save him from the wrath of other less tolerant members, but if you and he want to claim this little chunk of MTBR for your own, be prepared for some less friendly posts.

Just sayin'.

EDIT: Here you go, just so you know I'm not a complete miserable ****, that bike is a 1997 GT Freestyle Pro Tour Team, the most expensive version of the Performer to be made, Cranks are very likely GT Power Series, made by Profile, but more expensive (aftermarket) than Profiles, I had a set on my 1996 Holmes. Full specs here: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...9620&Type=bike

Based on the pegs and grips, this one at BMX Musem could actually be the very same bike: http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gt_bicycles/26183

Took me about 5-10 minutes of searching at BMX Museum and the Bikepedia to find that out. You're welcome.

Last edited by mechagouki; 03-02-2010 at 11:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Wow, where'd you learn how to internet? Do you offer classes?

mecha---your public service quota for the month is now covered.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki
    Well, I did read your post again, and you're right, it is totally vague and basically pointless. Thanks for drawing my attention to that, re-reading the post also allowed me to spot your unusual spelling of the word 'dollar' - a regional variation perhaps?

And if Insanitylevel9 is so great at understanding written English, why is he posting questions about freestyle bikes in a vintage/retro/classic mountain bike forum? I mean, this is MTBR forums, not BMXR forums, he's not even at the right site. I answered his question simply hoping to kill the thread and save him from the wrath of other less tolerant members, but if you and he want to claim this little chunk of MTBR for your own, be prepared for some less friendly posts.

Just sayin'.

EDIT: Here you go, just so you know I'm not a complete miserable ****, that bike is a 1997 GT Freestyle Pro Tour Team, the most expensive version of the Performer to be made, Cranks are very likely GT Power Series, made by Profile, but more expensive (aftermarket) than Profiles, I had a set on my 1996 Holmes. Full specs here: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...9620&Type=bike

Based on the pegs and grips, this one at BMX Musem could actually be the very same bike: http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gt_bicycles/26183

Took me about 5-10 minutes of searching at BMX Museum and the Bikepedia to find that out. You're welcome.

thanks so much. and i know its mtbr not bmxr, but rather then make a user name to ask one question i thought i would ask here(you guy seem to know a lot about old bikes in general) . i really didn't think i would get an answer. also i'd much rather it be a old mountain bike but i wanted some thing to work on over spring break(i got 3 weeks off i run out of stuff to do). but any way before i go in to a full on rant thank you very much for all the help.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    No problem, enjoy the bike, I'd be quite happy if someone handed me one of those.

Members who have read this thread: 0