monster member

Answer HyperLites

Hey folks, any of you remember these?

Lol, lots of other cool stuff out there, but this is the only thing I have that I think is cool from the 90's. I was too poor to have really cool stuff. Not looking to sell... just a pat on the back. :-)

Crazy narrow nowadays... like 550 mm straight bar. !

Answer HyperLites-img_20190131_200143907.jpg
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have 2 of them. One purple one in a box somewhere and a black one on my 1995 Kona Explosif. Rode the Kona off-road a week ago and couldn't stop thinking that I was gonna die in one of 2 ways. Either I was going to loose control as they were so narrow and crash or they were going to snap under my 92kg weight. Neither happened and I actually had fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I had purple ones on my old Cannondale F600, which was also purple.

It is crazy how narrow and low bars used to be. I found a brand new, in the box, never built early-90's Klein Pulse a few years ago, and I couldn't believe the bars that came stock on that bike. If I hadn't taken it out of the box myself, i would have guessed someone had cut them way down.

My coolest old component is probably the Machine Tech CNC'd brake levers I still have on an old Trek glued aluminum hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Have one sitting on shelf outside collecting dust. Was replaced witha Syncros Proseries, remember those, back when Syncros was cool? Rode it this morning, supposedly i should have replaced them 25 years ago. They said you should replace them every 2 years.

monster member
    Yeah, Syncros is cool. Ha ha "replace every 2 years"... I've never replaced anything just because the mfr said I should. Actually, I've never read the boxes so never noticed they warn you about things like that. I'm 195 lbs and still have all my teeth.

My father has a ~1991 Reflex. (Speaking of bonded aluminum honkinunit.) Anyway, that thing came with a CRAZY LONG stem and CRAZY NARROW bars! Some years ago I put a raised, short stem and wide riser bars on it to make it more comfortable for him, but when he wants to stop riding it around the neighborhood I'll snag it from him. I saved the original parts so I'd be able to take it to casual bike events and show it off, let people gawk and point at how some mtbs used to be built back then.
    Have fun!