Another Yeti outta the attic- Mtbr.com
    Bird watcher

Another Yeti outta the attic

Got it together just in time for snow to melt. This frame catches more mud than a chainstay ubrake.

89 Yeti Fro
    yeti stem
    FTW antler bar ends
    king headset
    cook bros ti bar
    bullseye hubs
    campy centaur levers
    ird post
    avocet m30 saddle
    white ind. ti botom bracket
    syncros ti extractors
    wtb toe flips
    Suntour xc9000 acushift front shifter
    suntour 7sp xc-pro everything else

VRC Illuminati
    Now thats what I'm talkin' about!

Sweet build on that thing. Nice to see it dirty.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Nice Brake Levers

Did you build 'em like that? The mismatched colours looks good; the clamps bled almost seamlessly withthe bar.

Bird watcher
    Thanks Rumphy
    Shayne you obviously dont know squat about the secret ultra exclusive campagnolo team levers. These were specially made out of a space age polimer that is secret military spec. VERY LIGHT. Next time if you don know you should not say any thing because you obviously dont know whats what when it comes to camp or klein....

Ha that was great. I lent a buddy my all black centaur levers. When he returned the he had stripped the threads that hold the lever to the bar. The local distributer was closing out the bullhorn euclid levers with ubrake sets for $25. So I made him buy me a set.

mtbr member
    Cool bike. I have an 89 similar to that with the older features combined with the 1 1/4" head tube.

Very refreshing build. Of all the campy parts from that era, those levers are probably the best. Nice feel on those.

More dirty vintage pics please.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Nice.I love those old fro's.Straight forward chromoly engineering.No bull,why don't they make bikes like that anymore?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    on the front brake cable housing, what's that interconnect above the stem for?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Brake adjustment??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LIFECYCLE
    Brake adjustment??

yep. its just a simple barrel adjuster. thats an FTW stem. Answer licensed the alunimum version from Frank and called it the A-TAC.

Bird watcher
    So I made some updates. The xc pro stuff is out. Now I remember why I had taken it of my p23 so many years back. Changed to shimano rear shifting. I was going to use a dura ace 7 speed freewheel or a sachs but then I figured I'd give one of those cheapy shimano hg freewheel. Guess what. It works great. I have 10 rides on it with not one problem. I also changed the brakes. The xc pros are actually great breaks but When I think early yetis I think grafton brakes. Since I dont have those I put the campys on there. I also swapped out the cranks for a set of specialized flag cranks.

So now that I have some miles on this bike I can clearly tell you what I think of the fro. What a pain in the ass this bike is to ride. You have to put so much thought into riding it. It feels like a race car. But not a good one. Maybe I just got so spoiled by the fast comfy ride of my p23. It climbs well but no better than any other I've ever ridden. Its got to be the bmx style straight fork. It feels so twitchey. This may end up on the rack for a loaner.

Old School
    Quote Originally Posted by ckevlar

So now that I have some miles on this bike I can clearly tell you what I think of the fro. What a pain in the ass this bike is to ride. You have to put so much thought into riding it. It feels like a race car. But not a good one. Maybe I just got so spoiled by the fast comfy ride of my p23. It climbs well but no better than any other I've ever ridden. Its got to be the bmx style straight fork. It feels so twitchey. This may end up on the rack for a loaner.
    Shame on you.

Let's make a trade

mtbr member
    You're probably not the first to make these particular observations, but kudos to you for calling it like you see it on a bike that lots of people seem to idolize.

Jan 2004
    Bingo. I could never figure out why people fawned over these things back in the day. They were heavy, crudely made by comparison with other builder's frames, required a BMX (gasp!) headset, and the ride quality was no where near that of a Salsa or Ritchey or... But MBA loved them and we all know the power of the press...

VRC Hound
    I never rode any of the FRO's that have passed through the pig-pen but I did like the ride of my ARC. Shame the ARCs spontaneously explode at the seat cluster and dent so easily.

MBA really wielded power, and rarely for good. (there was a great drop bar article which is an exception!)

VRC Hound
    I never rode any of the FRO's that have passed through the pig-pen but I did like the ride of my ARC. Shame the ARCs spontaneously explode at the seat cluster and dent so easily.

MBA really wielded power, and rarely for good. (there was a great drop bar article which is an exception!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Bingo. I could never figure out why people fawned over these things back in the day. They were heavy, crudely made by comparison with other builder's frames, required a BMX (gasp!) headset, and the ride quality was no where near that of a Salsa or Ritchey or... But MBA loved them and we all know the power of the press...
    Interesting comments SSMike!

I don't think any of the Yeti fans would argue about the weight.

I'd be intererested if you could expand on "crudely made by comparision with other builders frames"? I've seen and ridden many Yetis, Fats, Salsas, Bontragers etc and not experienced/observed any notable differences in build quality. Of course none have the build quality of my Roberts DOGS BOLX and that will remain my yardstick forever

And as for ride quality, isn't that a subjective topic? Surely many 1000's of MTBers including a fair few on this forum cannot be wrong? We have a saying on retrobike, "blondes and brunettes". I think that closes this aspect of our discussion

But still as the man DC says, kudos for calling it as you see it.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MCK-74
    Interesting comments SSMike!

I don't think any of the Yeti fans would argue about the weight.

I'd be intererested if you could expand on "crudely made by comparision with other builders frames"? I've seen and ridden many Yetis, Fats, Salsas, Bontragers etc and not experienced/observed any notable differences in build quality. Of course none have the build quality of my Roberts DOGS BOLX and that will remain my yardstick forever

And as for ride quality, isn't that a subjective topic? Surely many 1000's of MTBers including a fair few on this forum cannot be wrong? We have a saying on retrobike, "blondes and brunettes". I think that closes this aspect of our discussion

But still as the man DC says, kudos for calling it as you see it.
    You forgot about redheads.

By "crudely made" I simply meant that the quality of construction was not "pretty." Maybe the early 90's frames had improved over the late 80's frames. Maybe I was just expressing an opinion as they aren't my cup 'o tea.

mtbr member
    Kev,

As you know I have a Pro FRO. It is a proper frame and I like it. It could very well be it is the best Yeti frame for all day use (with a certain gap). Anyway, finishing: Next to the Yeti I have/had T-Max, Yo (Serotta again), Phoenix, Grove and some bikes by Japanese mass producers (mainly Miyata). By taking a closer look with all of the bikes look like their manufacturers were more sincere on delivering a well finished product than at Yeti. Maybe it subjective to some extend, but welding noticibly looks not as neat and the vinyl decals collect dirt at the edges. On the other hand I understand bending the tail out of one tube isn't easy, so maybe that makes up for time saving by lack of accuracy in welding.

VRC Illuminati
    The ARC I rode was nice. I like(d) how my Ultimate rode and look forward to having it built again.

No doubt they don't have the same grace that my Ritchey or Salsa have.
    -eric-

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    The ARC I rode was nice. I like(d) how my Ultimate rode and look forward to having it built again.

No doubt they don't have the same grace that my Ritchey or Salsa have.
    I think 'grace' is the best used term yet. Or lack of grace. It just isn't the word that comes to mind when I think about any steel Yeti.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevation12,000
    As you know I have a Pro FRO. It is a proper frame and I like it. It could very well be it is the best Yeti frame for all day use (with a certain gap). Anyway, finishing: Next to the Yeti I have/had T-Max, Yo (Serotta again), Phoenix, Grove.
    I wouldn't disagree that the Serotta build quality is better than Yeti but they weren't produced in the same numbers.I have only seen one T-Max and it was flawless. I coudn't comment on Grove or Phoenix but again they were small scale producers and I'd expect the quality would probably be near to my Best of British yardstick

SSMike - what are redheads?

I'm a confessed Yeti fan and feel duty bound to defend them. But fair play for sharing your views.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook
    I think 'grace' is the best used term yet. Or lack of grace. It just isn't the word that comes to mind when I think about any steel Yeti.
    Gracias.

Yeah, I wouldn't call Yetis poor riding bikes...just depends on the terrain and what kind of rider you are.
    If you ride mostly on fire roads and are a power rider (as opposed to...say..a finesse rider), then Yetis are probably right up your alley. Just my own personal experience with it.
    -eric-

Bird watcher

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel
    Shame on you.

Let's make a trade

Bird watcher
    Yeah we sold a butt load of these guys. I'm not even going to mention the amount of people that put money down to pre order the ultimate after that mtba test frame came out. On top of the mtba action coverage. They always had the right people in the saddle. The build quality was on par with most of the early bmx frames. Not quite fat chance quality tigs. You could easily see where one welder did some of the welds and another took over. The thing I never understood was sealing of the weep holes. So many of these would come back that rusted from the inside out. Then there were the ones that rusted under the powdercoat to the inside of the tubes. Those problems aside, I loved the looks since I come from a bmx background.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike

mtbr member
    Whatever you all say, I don't think any of us would kick it out of bed for eating crackers...

What the heck did I just say? An old term that just popped into my head!

I need help.

Bird watcher
    Well I guess that would depend on who was waiting to get into my bed next.

Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    Whatever you all say, I don't think any of us would kick it out of bed for eating crackers...

What the heck did I just say? An old term that just popped into my head!

I need help.

VRC Hound
    Good comeback but a little slow

Bird watcher
    Umm... leave me alone. I'm told i'm special not slow. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    Good comeback but a little slow

FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    Why are some of you running the same avatar image?
    Federation Against 29:ers
    In memory of nino - godfather of weight weeniesm, banned but not forgotten, sept 2010.

I picked two too many
    Quote Originally Posted by erkan
    its because they're special

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOrange
    -eric-

those are Rollercams...

We are?

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nice Build!

artistic...
    bunch of dorks.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    We are?
    What?
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    bunch of dorks.

Jealousy is ugly FC.
    -eric-

artistic...
    Jealousy is ugly FC.
    jealousy of what?

I picked two too many
    jealousy of what?
    exactly.

mtbr member
    exactly.

Where?

Bird watcher
    Ok guys. Break it up. Don't you have your own club house where you can play grabass?

Ok guys. Break it up. Don't you have your own club house where you can play grabass?

Its called the cabin

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

Hit The Road Cyclery
    "special" means "retarded"

Old School
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook
    Its called the cabin
    it's a COTTAGE...sheesh

mtbr member
    Then it's not grabass, it's frottage!
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

illuminaughty
    by any other name it's still a circle jerk....
    :)

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This forum hasn't made me laugh harder in years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    And in a three year old posting no less!

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV
    Fun, though.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Comfortably Dumb

Sounds like you're speaking from experience.
    They had to replace my metal plate with a plastic one

Now... harder to kill.
    Buncha geniuses.
    "My Life is violent, but violence is life" - Ice T

WANTED: A 20" Yeti frameset

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by cousineddie
    Sounds like you're speaking from experience.
    Pivot point?
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Wait...who put what in the who now?

VRC Illuminati

Right on to a picture of your yard flamingo.
    -eric-

Certified Bike Junkie
    I bet Stan's really a member if the IVMTB illuminati and they just put on this show to fool the rest of us.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

I picked two too many
    Quote Originally Posted by chefmiguel
    Wait...who put what in the who now?
    you !

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy
    I bet Stan's really a member if the IVMTB illuminati and they just put on this show to fool the rest of us.
    a secret society dedicated to collecting bike parts.
    Their members flaunt the symbol on a bike forum as a sign of prestige and exclusivity.

If i had not discovered sex yet i would find it uber cool.

mtbr member
    Who says there's no sex going on there?

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    New Avatar

Steve

VRC Illuminati

Smut films don't count Flavio.
    -eric-

artistic...
    Smut films don't count Flavio.
    naah Eric.. i am talking something else.
    sex is not only naked old men.

illuminaughty
    just wanted to see what a "cool" avatar felt like.......actually feels kinda dirty
    Last edited by da'HOOV; 01-12-2010 at 06:19 PM.

mtbr member
    just wanted to see what a "cool" avatar felt like.......

It's nice to have a dream.......

illuminaughty
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting
    but this is a nightmare

VRC Illuminati
    LOL!
    -eric-

I'm just messing with you
    Now that all the cool kids have the illuminati logo as their avatard, at first glance I thought Rumpfy was having a conversation with himself
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    Yes, I thought so to in the beginning, then I noticed, the same avatar pic had different usernames so I got a bit curious about it. At least its not a pathetic avatar or cost 20.000 dollars to design.. . :-P
    Federation Against 29:ers
    In memory of nino - godfather of weight weeniesm, banned but not forgotten, sept 2010.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    I hear the SAS are planning extraordinary rendition on a couple of founder members - special forces take copyright infringement very seriously don't you know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki
    I hear the SAS are planning extraordinary rendition on a couple of founder members - special forces take copyright infringement very seriously don't you know.

bring 'em on, were waitin' for 'em..........

mtbr member
    "avatard" heheh

velocipede technician

that's friggin awesome
    looking for 20-21" P team

illuminaughty
    I can't take it anymore, back to my real avatar not that "other" one.

I picked two too many
    changed just enough . . .

besides, I hear they have an army of lawyers . . . enough to put the scare in anyone . . . (makes my manhole pucker up, I tell you)

I picked two too many
    At least its not a pathetic avatar or cost 20.000 dollars to design.. . :-P
    You are so nice. Not like the rest of the 'tards.

I picked two too many
    Quote Originally Posted by -Anomie-
    "special" means "retarded"
    no it means

'tarded

I picked two too many
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve
    New Avatar

Steve
    Very pretty, did you make that?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Is Houdini's body in there?

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    Is Houdini's body in there?
    Rumpfy's soul - he traded it for an old Ross with the down tube hacksawed out and a couple of old brake cables strung in place
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007

Hmmm, assuming that's a single action hunting rifle in there ('cause you seem like a sane person and anything else would be a bit mental), you might want to undo those padlocks so you have a chance to shoot yourself in the foot before one of these guys tasers/pistol whips you and then zipties your right hand to your private parts:

Alternately you could just start wearing an outfit like this all the time: (CAUTION!!! NOT WORK SAFE!!!)

https://www.motifake.com/image/demot...1250201421.jpg

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

I wouldnt be scared of those guys

Unless
    A) they were challenging me to a braille reading contest
    or
    B) they're really good with the force

mtbr member
    Hmmm, assuming
    Your picture is of Sabre Squadron "B" of the 22nd Special Air Regiment specializing in deep battlespace ISTAR.

They DON'T ASSUME anything and they DON'T carry tasers OR zipties.

and neither do we.......

https://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0908/packing-heat-demotivational-poster-1250201421.jpg"]https://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0908/packing-heat-demotivational-poster-1250201421.jpg
    Last edited by crconsulting; 01-14-2010 at 10:05 AM.

mtbr member
    I read that as "deep battlespace ISHTAR" and chuckled. There is probably a laser sight on my nards right about now....

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    OK, so accepting I that just made an ASS out of U and ME (or ME anyway), what's in the case?

You've piqued my curiosity.

I read that as "deep battlespace ISHTAR" and chuckled. There is probably a laser sight on my nards right about now....
    I'm picturing Warren Beatty with a lightsaber.

mtbr member
    OK, so accepting I that just made an ASS out of U and ME (or ME anyway), what's in the case?

You've piqued my curiosity.

I'm picturing Warren Beatty with a lightsaber.
    Close

Rumpfy's Soul : )

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Surely you could use a much smaller case.......................

mtbr member
    Surely you could use a much smaller case.......................

Dude's "larger than life"

Members who have read this thread: 0