Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!

Ok, so i've done plenty of scouring of the internet in search of answers and have come up empty handed. I fall at the mercy of the bicycle elders to assist me in identifying what it is that I blaze the trails with on a regular basis. The only identification is: Made in USA B20559

(forgive the dirt, it's rode often - and forgive the ergo handlebar grips.... That lasted 1 ride...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-img_4619.jpg  

Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-img_4627.jpg  

Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-img_4629.jpg  

Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-img_4631.jpg  

Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-img_4632.jpg  

Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-img_4634.jpg  

Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-img_46242.jpg  

mtbr member
    Kona?

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Hey hey, it's a Hei Hei.

Well, possibly a Hei Hei, I'm pretty sure it's a Kona.

I have a 95-96 Kona Hei Hei but I'm not at home right now to compare serial numbers.

Mine does have the Made in USA stamp, and the bolt on cable guide for the rear brake ("Kona Dog Collar") is a Kona feature.

Dropouts are the same and strangely enough, mine also has a purple cable guide on the BB.

Someone with more Kona brains than me might confirm this, but the round tube version is the Hei Hei and the ovalised downtube version was the King Kahuna.

Sexy bloody things to ride, eh?

Grumps

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Kona?
    Thank you! I started searching for Kona titanium frames and found some that were similar!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    Hey hey, it's a Hei Hei.

I have a 95-96 Kona Hei Hei but I'm not at home right now to compare serial numbers.

Mine does have the Made in USA stamp, and the bolt on cable guide for the rear brake ("Kona Dog Collar") is a Kona feature.

Dropouts are the same and strangely enough, mine also has a purple cable guide on the BB.

Someone with more Kona brains than me might confirm this, but the round tube version is the Hei Hei and the ovalised downtube version was the King Kahuna.

Grumps
    Yes! I believe the Hei Hei is exactly what it is... I love this bike, it's the only one I ride, and I take it out 2 - 3 times per week. I entered the MTB world on a rigid Trek 820, which has parked in the garage since I got this bike. Now I wonder if Kona would be of any help identifying anything else from the S/N... Like perhaps the year...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hey hey, it's a Hei Hei.

Grumps
    Hey Hey, I think you are right!! Hei Hei it seems to be. Amazing bike, but the only thing I have to compare it to is a rigid Trek 820. I do love this bike though, it just feels indestructible and is sexy to boot!

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    there was a small batch made by a defunct bike store in West Van{eagle harbour} "Hill Top Bikes. They were very similar to Hei Hei's with bullet end chain stays and sloping top tubes. When the store closed they had trouble selling the 100 frames. As will most ti frames of that era all were contracted out to Sandvik in Washington

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    ^ That's interesting, rismtb, cool info. They were the good old days when so many mainstream brands had a ti frame in the line up and a few shops had some built for themselves.

I just did some hunting on Retrobike where I recall mentioning the serial of my Hei Hei, which is B20594. Pretty close to yours thejohnnyguy.

And yes, of course we forgive dirt, encourage it even! Ergo grips however...

Grumps

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    That is really close! Is yours a 20" as well? I'm assuming that's what the 20 is for after the B.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    So my other replies haven't posted yet. Something about waiting to be approved by site mod. Maybe because I quoted your posts and I'm newbie.

Thanks a lot! This has been very informative. It would appear judging by your serial number, that I've got myself a Hei Hei of the same year (95-96).

It is an amazing bike, it has handled everything my trails have to offer, all while feeling indestructible.

rismtb, that is pretty interesting, but how would you identify if it were one of those? Serial number I suppose?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Here's a much better picture, no ergo barhandles, more dirt, post-ride.

Thanks again for all of the help! I've sent Kona the serial number to see if they can tell me anything else, but now I know what to tell people who ask what my bike is!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-img_4510.jpg  

mtbr member
    FYI, I have a DBR Ti from the same era that I had a local Ti framebuilder weld on a disc tab to the rear so I could run disc brakes. Something to think about if you want to modernize the stoppers.

rismtb
    Dec 2012

early nighties Hei Hei

It only took 2 yrs to get back to you sorry about that. Ya your bike is a Hei Hei Sandvick early nineties. There were less an 1000 frames over 10yrs Very expensive} The 20 is your frame size and the rest are sequent #s I am including pics of what the decals look like. The ser # on this one B18196
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-img_2482.jpg  

Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-img_2481.jpg  

Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-img_2480.jpg  

Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-img_2479.jpg  

Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-img_2478.jpg  

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    That makes me want to pull mine down and rebuild it just so I can see the frame in it's bare glory.

Ti is so sexy.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    That makes me want to pull mine down and rebuild it just so I can see the frame in it's bare glory.

Ti is so sexy.

Grumps
    So I'm still riding this thing... It's still amazing, and I totally forgot about this conversation. I was looking today to see about what the original decals looked like because I'm looking to find replicas... Then I stumbled upon my own post from 5 years ago to see that you replied 3 years ago... See you in another few years I guess? Maybe I'll have the decals done by then

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another "Please help me ID my titanium frame" post!-heihei2020.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rismtb View Post
    there was a small batch made by a defunct bike store in West Van{eagle harbour} "Hill Top Bikes. They were very similar to Hei Hei's with bullet end chain stays and sloping top tubes. When the store closed they had trouble selling the 100 frames. As will most ti frames of that era all were contracted out to Sandvik in Washington
    I think it might have been Hillside, not Hill Top.
    Also made aluminum frames.