• 02-11-2010
    LarryG
    1 Attachment(s)
    Another historical link to Clunkers?
    I posted this in Passion last year, but after watching Klunkerz I got to thinking about the close similarities between these depression-era bikes and the Marin crowd of the late '70s. You mtb pioneers - did you ever see these?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...&zIndex=103529
  • 02-11-2010
    Roadsters
    In order to help make your visit to this forum a satisfying and memorable experience, you may choose from the following two answers:

1: Unless they were riding them off-road, I'd call those bikes the human-powered equivalent to the early-Fifties Harley bobbers - bikes that were modified with minimal cutting and welding and stripped of everything that didn't really need to be there.

2: Dude! That's Gary Fisher on the left, and Charlie Kelly on the right. In the background, what appears to be a tree is actually a Humbolt-county pot plant.
  • 02-12-2010
    ae111black
    Sweet story! Oh the storys those old dudes must have! I pick "2" btw....
  • 02-13-2010
    repackpioneer
    let's put them in the MTB Hall of Fame
  • 02-13-2010
    gm1230126
    Great story!
  • 02-13-2010
    laffeaux
    Very cool story.
  • 02-13-2010
    cegrover
    That's extremely cool! I never knew my home state had much involvement in cycling history...
  • 02-13-2010
    LarryG
    Just look at the size of their tires - they're at least 2 inches wide, maybe more. Were they 26"? Probably; I think 700c was a European size at the time, although the French rode 650b fat tires, according to Jan Heine. These guys must have been racing on torn-up dirt roads a lot. I bet this picture was before/after one of those, and they switched to smaller tires for road racers.

And check out the forks and the aggressive bar position. These are cross-country single-speed mountain bikes. They were probably fixed gear too.
  • 02-13-2010
    jeff
    I'd say 28" wheels. Look at the saddle to BB position. Right on top. I can't imagine spending an hour in that position let alone a 100 lap race.