mtbr member

Am I about to ruin this? Klunker Content

I have been looking for an old balloon tire frame to turn into a clunker, and I stumbled upon this yesterday. Looks like the perfect candidate, 30s or 40s Schwinn BF Goodrich, but maybe too perfect. I am starting to feel guilty about taking of the fenders, chain guard, rack etc. This thing is pretty complete down to the Morrow rear hub.

What should I do? Klunkerize it, or keep it together and keep searching for a frame?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wanted:Nothing. I have too much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Go for it Scotty! It is pretty decent but you can part it out to help others in their quest to restore their machines. Klunker that mother!

VRC Illuminati
    I feel your dilemma.

I second bmxcol's sentiments though...sell the parts to the collectors that want to restore (and recoupe some cash in the process). Then build that klunker.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    I mistakenly let my neighbor see it (and told him what I paid for it) and he is really into the balloon tires. He told me to leave it alone or sell it to him (for what I paid no doubt).

I was looking at Alan Bond's site and I really like what he did to those bikes.

mtbr member
    If that was mine, I'd keep it as is. Its just too cool looking to part out IMO. You can find a separate frame or something less unique for a clunker project.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

mtbr member
    That is kinda what I was thinking. I am going to lube her up and ride her around for a week or so and see how I feel.

Certified Bike Junkie
    I second that motion. There are plenty of bare frames floating around that you shouldm't need to canibalize a good complete original bike like that.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    When you think that that bike has survived so long without being cannibalized, it's a noble thing to keep it as is. There are other frames out there that need some klunkerfication. However, you should be able to klunkerize it and keep all the parts so it could be built back into its self in the future...

Retro on Steroids
    Sure wish I could remember where I threw all the fenders, tanks and chainguards I stripped off old bikes 30 years ago.

mtbr member

Klunker!!!!!!!!!!

build it up w/alloy rims & a mrp three piece crank conversion and you'll have a bike you'll REALLY enjoy RIDING. leave it as is or restore it and you'll have a bike for show and tell......and not much else.

mountaingoatcycles.com
    In the world of balloon-tire bike collectors, there wouldn't be a huge interest in that one. Kinda like a Chevy Chevette, sure it's old and in decent shape but not too many people care. Like Mike said, keep the goodies that come off of it so you have the ability to resurrect it in the future if you so desired. Most of the klunker mods didn't alter the basic bike that much.

mtbr member
    i would keep it original. and klunker means junk right? find a old.. (1980-90's) huffy Monterey or something. they are made in the US. and pretty light. those you can get for like 10-20 bucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight
    In the world of balloon-tire bike collectors, there wouldn't be a huge interest in that one. Kinda like a Chevy Chevette, sure it's old and in decent shape but not too many people care. Like Mike said, keep the goodies that come off of it so you have the ability to resurrect it in the future if you so desired. Most of the klunker mods didn't alter the basic bike that much.
    Maybe not of any value to a collector, but a cool looking bike nonetheless. I'd keep it as is just for tooling around the neighborhood.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

mtbr member

Hey, watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by First Flight
    Watch it buddy, I used to have a Chevette.

It must be a little more rarer out here, I have a couple of guys hounding me. Maybe it is like a Dodge K Car.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle
    i would keep it original. and klunker means junk right? find a old.. (1980-90's) huffy Monterey or something. they are made in the US. and pretty light. those you can get for like 10-20 bucks.
    Uh, no...by Klunker he means this:

http://clunkers.net/billsavage.html
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Uh, no...by Klunker he means this:

http://clunkers.net/billsavage.html
    yeah, i know. i meant a beater. something you leave in the rain, and dont care if it rusts.

mtbr member

Definately not

Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle
    yeah, i know. i meant a beater. something you leave in the rain, and dont care if it rusts.
    Definately not something I would leave in the rain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I am looking to do the same but love the old bikes for a cruise at the beach. Sell it to someone at a car show and move on. I have seen several frame/forks that would make a great klunker sell for less than $50 on ebay. I have a straightbar being shipped to me right now for my next project.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMTB
    Definately not something I would leave in the rain.
    right. find a canti frame somewhere, or like an old columbia. there are always tons on craigslist. murry made the montery which is a canti frame into the 90's in the usa. and they are much lighter. really a klunker is a beater single speed to take off road. there are no rules.

mtbr member
    Most of the klunkers I have seen are not canti frames, they are 3 bar frames, like an old excelsior. I guess I am more interested in a period correct version than something to beat around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMTB
    Most of the klunkers I have seen are not canti frames, they are 3 bar frames, like an old excelsior. I guess I am more interested in a period correct version than something to beat around.

i think most on this forum would agree you're right on track here. as far as the poster mentioning dime store frames being lighter, remember that klunker i posted photos of a week or so ago weighed in under 30 pounds. the prewar schwinns really were nice little frames. you're on the front range somewhere? let me know if you want to come tool around the parking lot on it sometime.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I thought I was losing it for a minute there. Yeah, I work in Golden. I need to go find your thread again.

He be a moose too.
    The only thing I would do to it is fix it up and ride it around town. Certainly would be the coolest bike at the coffee shop. Lots of bikes out there that are boring, this isn't one of them. IMHO, of course.

Penguin

mtbr member
    Thanks for the HO. I was thinking about soaking the rims in oxacylic acid to try and remove the rust, and I need to do something about the seat.

Members who have read this thread: 0