98 stumpjumper m2 fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

98 stumpjumper m2 fork

Hi all
    new to the forum and recently started getting into mountain biking. I picked up a stock 98 stumpjumper m2 on craigslist and have been riding it as my main bike along trails here in southern california.

really enjoying it but I'm noticing that the rockshox judy t2 fork is starting to sag a little under the weight of the bike and I have a feeling it may have never/needs servicing. I took it to a local shop and the guys there scoffed at me saying they wouldn't touch a 20+ old suspension fork..

I am thinking of trying to service it myself but have also been thinking of switching it out to a rigid fork down the line for longevity. I measured the axle to crown of my rockshox judy t2 and it is roughly 438mm

I was looking at grabbing a surly fork to swap it out but they only come in sizes of 413mm, 420mm, 453mm, 457mm. What are peoples suggestions of grabbing a fork that is shorter vs longer than the original? how do I factor in the suspension that the judy had?

Also does a 438mm rockshox judy t2 seem long? I have read online that it is actually 413mm but that can't be right

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by foxhound49 View Post
    Hi all
    new to the forum and recently started getting into mountain biking. I picked up a stock 98 stumpjumper m2 on craigslist and have been riding it as my main bike along trails here in southern california.

really enjoying it but I'm noticing that the rockshox judy t2 fork is starting to sag a little under the weight of the bike and I have a feeling it may have never/needs servicing. I took it to a local shop and the guys there scoffed at me saying they wouldn't touch a 20+ old suspension fork..

I am thinking of trying to service it myself but have also been thinking of switching it out to a rigid fork down the line for longevity. I measured the axle to crown of my rockshox judy t2 and it is roughly 438mm

I was looking at grabbing a surly fork to swap it out but they only come in sizes of 413mm, 420mm, 453mm, 457mm. What are peoples suggestions of grabbing a fork that is shorter vs longer than the original? how do I factor in the suspension that the judy had?

Also does a 438mm rockshox judy t2 seem long? I have read online that it is actually 413mm but that can't be right
    You want a 425mm a c rigid fork.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I was looking for a big dummy surly fork but can't find one anywhere. Any advice on that?