97' Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Restomod Project- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm 97' Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Restomod Project

First off, Iíd really like to thank this forum. Two months ago my knowledge about bikes was very close to absolutely nothing. Thanks to the passion and the quality of discourse on here, Iíve spent countless hours reading and learning. On to the bike (and its story)!

Back in 1997 my late father purchased my first ďrealĒ bike (not some department store kidís bike) for me. It was a 97í Specialized Stumpjumper M2 in blue with a 17Ē frame. I was 12 and could barely fit on it at the time but quickly grew into it. After about four to five years of light use it started to live in the garage without being touched. At one point it sat outside long enough for some vines to grow through the wheels. One thing's for sure, for at least the past ten years it hadnít moved an inch inside the garage.

Jump to six weeks ago. Walking past the vine, dirt, and rust covered bike, at home, I decided I couldnít ignore it any longer. Iím 6ft tall but Iíve got a 30-31Ē inseam. As I researched bike sizing I started to realize the standover clearance and overall sizing complemented my shorter than average inseam length for someone of my height. Suddenly the 18 year old bike, with a lot of sentimental value, had the potential to be useful again. Iíve got a stationary bike that I ride for a workout, but I havenít been a real bike rider since the Stumpjumper started living in the garage full time.

I wouldnít have called my initial goal a restoration of any type. I just wanted to clean it up, replace the chain and perhaps replace a split cable housing. What a rabbit hole I dove into! If the bike didnít have such sentimental value, I probably would have abandoned my research after seeing the sheer number of options, considerations, and terms in the bike industry. But, after playing catch up and researching non-stop for three weeks, I finally decided to make it a full restomod project. First, it would probably cost less than a bike of comparable quality given todayís tech and standards (WOW bikes cost a lot now). Second, it was a good excuse to stock up on tools thatíll let me service my bike and friendís bikes in the future. Third, but not least, I would have a perfect example to practice everything I needed to know about bikes.

The goal for this bike was simple. I wanted something that I could use for almost anything urban related i.e. mainly streets (and all the sharp edged junk people leave behind and natureís contribution like goathead thorns), dirt trails, beach paths, and random off road excursions that arenít too intense. A jack of all trades for someone in Los Angeles. Where possible, I tried to replace whatever I took off with either the exact vintage replacement part or a modern version of the same part while trying to retain the character of the bike. It took about 20-40 hours of research, about $550 in parts, and one surprise after another while disassembling the bike.

The original parts that I kept and reconditioned:

• M2 Frame
    • Answer Manitou Pro Fork
    • Tange-Seiki ST-E Headset
    • Ritchey Expert Seatpost
    • Ritchey Forcelite Handlebar
    • Shimano SD-1 Brake Levers
    • Shimano Deore LX 3x8 Shift Levers
    • Shimano Deore XT M739 SGS Rear Derailleur
    • Shimano Deore LX M565 Hub
    • Mavic 238 17x559 Rims

The final list of parts that I got:

• Sugino Mighty 900 MTB Crank 175mm 94mm BCD
    • Race Face Race Ring Chainring Set 22/32/44 94mm BCD
    • SRAM PG-830 11-30 8 Speed Cassette
    • KMC X8.99 8-Speed Nickel Plated Chain
    • Shimano Freehub Spoke Protector 26-30 Tooth 32 Hole
    • Shimano Deore FH-M535 8/9-Speed Freehub Body
    • Shimano UN55 Bottom Bracket 73mm x 118mm
    • Shimano Deore XT FD-M739 Front Derailleur
    • Shimano MTB Brake Cable and Housing Set
    • Shimano MTB PTFE Shift Cable and SP41 Housing Set
    • Shimano SM-SP17M Bottom Bracket Cable Guide
    • Wheels Manufacturing CN-R060 Right Rear Axle Cone
    • Wheels Manufacturing CN-R061 Left Rear Axle Cone
    • Avid Single Digit 5 V-Brake Front and Rear
    • Kool Stop Supra 2 Brake Shoes Black
    • Grade 25 Chrome Steel Ball Bearings
    • BV Lightweight Water Bottle Cage
    • Wellgo MG-1 Magnesium Sealed Platform Pedal Black
    • Lizard Skins Northshore Lock On Grips Black
    • WTB Speed V Progel Saddle Black
    • Schwalbe Marathon Mondial Double Defense Folding Tire
    • Schwalbe Inner Tube SV13 Presta Valve

mtbr member
    Looks new!
    Technology dragass

artistic...
    Trya 130mm stem... you may like it.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Pics of it vine covered, or I won't believe you.

All the vine covered hulks that come through my shop doors still look like sh*t when done. That thing looks showroom. Nice work, now get out and make it dirty!
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com