'95 'Cuda, derailleur worn out?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

'95 'Cuda, derailleur worn out?

Hi. I'm old. But I'm new. Both here and to MTB.

I have a '95 Barracuda A2V mostly stock.

3x8 11-34. 22-32-42 chain rings though not sure about the big one.

Derailleur is probably OE Shimano XT. The probably OE twist shifters were not arthritis friendly so I'm using Shimano Quick fires I pulled off a 2001 K2 attack 3.0 3x9.

I'm having trouble with getting consistent shifting on the rear. Seems to work fine on the bench but on the trail, sometimes no shift sometimes shifts fine. Sometimes requires two clicks in the middle gears (9 speed shifter, right?).

In the lowest gear (34 + 22) the rear derailleur cage moves side to side about 8mm at the bottom jockey wheel . Am I worn out?

If so, what modern derailleur will work both with the cassette and with the shifter? Or is the 9 speed shifter the problem? Or do both need to be replaced?

Thanks or your help.
    John

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    so your cassette is 8 speed and you're using 9sp trigger shifters. What I would do, if I wanted to replace the shifters, get some XT M732 thumbies.

the trigger shifters just don't work that great over a long period of time, the buttons get stuck, etc..
    **Merry Christmas**

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You cannot use a 9 speed shifter with an 8 speed cassette. The spacing on a 8 speed and 9 speed cassette is different, so its just not going to work. But your bike is old, so its certainly possible that your derailleur is worn out also. There aren't any decent 8 speed derailleurs anymore, so get a 9 speed Deore. It will work with a 8 speed shifter. Or, get a 9 speed cassette and use the 9 speed shifter.

https://www.randombikeparts.com/prod...f07851be&_ss=r
    2020 Canyon Neuron 9.0 LTD
    2015 KHS Sixfifty Team
    2019 Salsa Warbird
    2019 Canyon Endurace
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I put a Microshift 11-42/9sp cassette, Microshift Advent derailleur & shifter on a 2001 K2 attack 3.0 along with a 34t narrow-wide chainring but it's not running yet, waiting on a crank puller tool.

I have the old Quickfire SL-M510 9 speed (which works fine) on the Barracuda with the stock Deore XT 8 speed derailleur. It's not working great in that combo.

Would the 9 speed Deore derailleur (which works fine) off the K2 work with both the SL-M510 shifter that came off the K2 and the Barracuda 8 speed cassette? I understand I'll have an extra click in there somewhere and can live with that.
    Thanks,
    John

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

9 speed compatability

A 9 speed shifter must use a 9 speed cassette, as the cogs are 0.5 mm closer together than 8 speed cogs; 8 and 9-speed cassettes fit on the same freehub, so you can put a 9-speed cassette on your existing rear wheel.

8 and 9-speed derailleurs can be interchanged, as the cage width difference is minimal, and a 9-speed chain, if you have the chain that mates with the 9-speed cassette, will work fine with an 8-speed derailleur.