94-95 Kawasaki X-1 Hardtail - Anybody know something about these?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2020

94-95 Kawasaki X-1 Hardtail - Anybody know something about these?

Hello, haven't been on here in so long I forgot my username and the email address I had registered. So first post, but not really...

I got this bike that was originally purchased through a Kawasaki motorcycle dealership in the mid-90s. Limited info online exists, but I found one UK forum thread referencing a steel frame Kawasaki model with RST fork and STX components that was a model number KMB-450 introduced in 1994. That same thread referenced this X-1 model being top of the Kawi MTB line. It has a Rockshox Mag 21 fork and mostly LX components. This frame is built from 7000 series aluminum.

I am interested to know more about who manufactured these. Perhaps a keen and knowledgeable member recognizes certain traits and can guess as to who welded this thing up. I was thinking something like Kinesis.

I don't expect it has a lot of value, nor do I care of it does. As a motorcycle enthusiast, I dig its connection to the industry I currently work in. As a bicycle enthusiast, I appreciate the era this came out of. The 90s was a decade of great advancement and transition in the industry. I was still a kid, but I was interested in high end bikes. I had to ride the Huffys and Murrays that my parents could afford, but I still enjoyed visiting the bike shop where I could dream about suspension forked aluminum framed bike.

The gentleman who owned it used to be my boss and back in the 80s-90s, co-owned a motorcycle shop with NHRA drag racer Eddie Hill. He acquired it then. I am friends with his son who owns a local bicycle shop. My former boss recently dumped the bike on his son after getting a new bike. My friend didn't want it and let me take it on the condition I offer it back to him if I ever decide to let it go. My plan for now is to display it in my office at work.

I thought it was a neat story, wanted to share the bike, and see if anybody knows anything.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 94-95 Kawasaki X-1 Hardtail - Anybody know something about these?-kawi1.jpg  

94-95 Kawasaki X-1 Hardtail - Anybody know something about these?-kawi2.jpg  

94-95 Kawasaki X-1 Hardtail - Anybody know something about these?-kawi3.jpg  

94-95 Kawasaki X-1 Hardtail - Anybody know something about these?-kawi4.jpg  

94-95 Kawasaki X-1 Hardtail - Anybody know something about these?-kawi5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    that's super cool! I didn't know those existed. Thanks for sharing. I have wondered about what would have happened if one or more of the big motorcycle companies had gotten into mtb way back, this shows somebody thought about it.
    That's a good looking bike for that time, and apparently built at that moment in time where cantis where almost over, and the aheadset was pretty new.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    that's super cool! I didn't know those existed. Thanks for sharing. I have wondered about what would have happened if one or more of the big motorcycle companies had gotten into mtb way back, this shows somebody thought about it.
    That's a good looking bike for that time, and apparently built at that moment in time where cantis where almost over, and the aheadset was pretty new.
    I used to ride over to Malcolm Smith Motorsports which was the local Yamaha dealer. The carried MS Racing mountain bikes and if I remember correctly, Mike Kloser raced a MS CR1. MS later became Alpinstars
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Those beefy welds and that odd shaped rear dropout makes me think American. Reminds me of an American frame I had quite some time ago..
    Makes ya feel good do it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Back in about '78-80 or so, my older cousin had a Kawasaki bmx style bike with working rear suspension, and fake front suspension, the rear shocks were motorcycle style near vertical with coil springs. I remember the oval oversize aluminum tubing and big welds (similar looking to the subject as I recall). His dad had a friend with a motorcycle shop, I don't think they sold many of those. Another local kid around that time had the Yamaha full squish bmx type bike. I rode it once, -very squishy and plush. So long ago...
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

Bikes in jeans
    Found a few other examples online in Ireland and the US, but little to no info. Definitely not something common. Looks like a quality bike, which is rare for promo stuff, but that rear dropout doesn't look familiar at all.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by lugged View Post
    Those beefy welds and that odd shaped rear dropout makes me think American. Reminds me of an American frame I had quite some time ago..
    absolutely no way that overwrought tube joinery and clunky one-piece dropout/hanger was fab'd by American.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Made in Taiwan sticker on the head tube