89 Hard Rock Comp- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

89 Hard Rock Comp

I have a 89 Hard Rock that is in rough shape and needs to be striped down and rebuilt. The question is it worth it? My other question is would it make a good single speed? thanx for the input

mtbr member
    You are the only one who can make that call. Is it worth it to you?
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Since you're new, this is an excellent place to get up to speed, along with the other stickies....

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=463090

Welcome aboard
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by braxis
    I have a 89 Hard Rock that is in rough shape and needs to be striped down and rebuilt. The question is it worth it? My other question is would it make a good single speed? thanx for the input
    It's probably going to cost more to rebuild it than it's worth. If it was a Stumpjumper then it might be a different story. They do make nice commuters though. Good luck and welcome aboard.

mtbr member
    Hard Rock was Specialized's bottom of the line mountain bike, so it's not going to be worth anything to sell, if that was the answer you were angling for.

If it's really in rough shape, then no, it's not worth it. Different people may have different definitions of 'rough shape' though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by robinmiller
    Hard Rock was Specialized's bottom of the line mountain bike, so it's not going to be worth anything to sell, if that was the answer you were angling for.

If it's really in rough shape, then no, it's not worth it. Different people may have different definitions of 'rough shape' though.
    That about covers it rough shape in this case it needs to be stripped down to frame and fork
    sanded repainted and go from there. Thanx for the info guys

VRC Illuminati

No and maybe.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    How about showing a pic or two of it? -GT2005

That about covers it rough shape in this case it needs to be stripped down to frame and fork
    sanded repainted and go from there. Thanx for the info guys

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by GT2005
    How about showing a pic or two of it? -GT2005
    You...really want to see a pic of a beat Hardrock?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Jul 2009
    Hi braxis,

I have a bottom of the line, 1980's all-terrain bicycle. Although it is absolutely not worth restoring, I wish I had two more just like it. Here's why:

Cargo bike. I have a Wald basket on the front and two in the back of my 1987 Schwinn Sierra. I can easily haul fifty pounds of stuff across town without spending an hour tying it all down.

Single speed. The early mountain bikes had horizontal dropouts instead of vertical. That means I could set up that Sierra as a single speed without using a Singulator or anything special to keep the chain tight. Just slide the axle back and forth to get the right tension, tighten the axle bolts, and head for the woods. I could even easily run it as a fixed gear.

Loaded touring. The frame of the Sierra is maybe a bit heavy, but sturdy. Its geometry is relaxed. Its chainstays are long. It has eyelets for fenders and racks. There is enough room to run 700c wheels with 35mm tires.

So, if I had a beat up Hard Rock that fit me, I would do one of those things with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0