Heres an old shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

artistic...

is it osama in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    Heres an old shot.
    maybe not...

Jan 2004
    70s MTBs? You can't be serious. You really want to see my touring bike?

oleum perdisti

It's gotta be Osama or Sheldon Brown...not sure!!

No Message

mtbr member
    Wow, that really does look like him! Actually there is a criminal in that picture. I think its the second guy from the left, he was living in Crested Butte for many years with a fake name as the feds were trying to find him for cocaine smuggling I think. I will try and find the link to the article. Its kind of a cool story.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin-at-home
    70s MTBs? You can't be serious. You really want to see my touring bike?
    Hey, that looks a little like mine!

I'm not sure when I first heard of a mountain bike (must have been the late '80s), but I rode my Schwinn Varsity on the trails around my house in Virginia throughout the late '70s and and early '80s - I lost interest in biking during college where I discovered beer and women.

mtbr member
    Actually there is a criminal in that picture. I think its the second guy from the left, he was living in Crested Butte for many years with a fake name as the feds were trying to find him for cocaine smuggling I think.
    Actually those bikes are pre mtn. bikes known as "Ballooners" or "Klunkers".

Roger Bannister aka "Murdoch" 2nd from the left in the picture and MBHOF inductee and on the run cocaine smuggler that hid out in the Butte for over 20 yrs before he left town and ultimately got arrested in Taos, where he was originally caught with the coke and jumped bail. He started the first shop in CB, "Everything Bicycles", and for someone on the run lived a fairly high profile lifestyle here as a visible member of a small community. He was finally busted because he applied for a credit card using someone from PA's social and the guy got upset about it and got the authorities involved.

He, along with many of the original CB Klunker riders did not stay involved with biking much past the early 80's however. He escaped town on a sweet Ritchey though!

He currently is in some prison somewhere and apt to stay there for awhile. After it all came out in the open several women that were little girls in the pre-school that Roger helped out with in the 70's came forward and had less than flattering things to say about him and the little games he liked to play with them....So the "Free Murdoch" campaign that was going on here kind of lost steam.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    Hey, that looks a little like mine!

I'm not sure when I first heard of a mountain bike (must have been the late '80s), but I rode my Schwinn Varsity on the trails around my house in Virginia throughout the late '70s and and early '80s - I lost interest in biking during college where I discovered beer and women.
    My point exactly. In 1975 I was riding that bike (a 69 Raleigh Super Course btw) around on logging roads and actual single track behind my high school. Because that's where I wanted to go and that's the bike I had to get there.

34N 118W
    another. Marin?

mtbr member

Gotta be CA.

The chick ratio is only 2:1 as compared to the 12:1 in CB.

A ratio that still holds true to this day.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Heres another of CK mid-corner.

Heres the link to that Richard Bannister story: http://outside.away.com/magazine/0998/9809displaw.html

According to Bigwheel he has been found.
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 03-08-2007 at 10:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Heres the link to that Richard Bannister story: http://outside.away.com/magazine/0998/9809displaw.html

Fun story. Thanks for the link!!

mtbr member

Murdoch was on America's Most Wanted I think

He, along with many of the original CB Klunker riders did not stay involved with biking much past the early 80's however. He escaped town on a sweet Ritchey though!

I remember this guy made it onto America's Most Wanted. I have no idea why I was watching it but they showed a picture of this guy with a series 1 Breezer (one of the very first ten Breezers made that had the cross bar running from the headtube to the dropout for strength). That alone made it memorable. I kept thinking that some lucky sap would end up with a hell of a bike for $10 at a police auction down the line.

Keep Singlespeeding Evil
    Picture taken in 1992 - Joe Breeze at a bike show in Germany on Charles Kelly's Breezer (it is #2).
    He is in his original Repack Outfit - I still can't believe he brought that along - but that is how Joe is ...

phaty

mtbr member
    bump.

Maybe we can add to this now with some of the new guys around like CK, and the MDC.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    another. Marin?

Is it just me, or is everyone standing around, waiting for the guy on the far left to try and straighten his seatpost, by hanging onto the bars, with his body behind, pushing it forward? Cool pic, just an interesting dynamic going on, he seems to be sort of a focal point. Cool pics by the way, all around!
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

velocipede technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel

coffee, meet computer screen. play nice
    looking for 20-21" P team

The Notorious S.L.O
    Actually those bikes are pre mtn. bikes known as "Ballooners" or "Klunkers".

Roger Bannister aka "Murdoch" 2nd from the left in the picture and MBHOF inductee and on the run cocaine smuggler that hid out in the Butte for over 20 yrs before he left town and ultimately got arrested in Taos, where he was originally caught with the coke and jumped bail. He started the first shop in CB, "Everything Bicycles", and for someone on the run lived a fairly high profile lifestyle here as a visible member of a small community. He was finally busted because he applied for a credit card using someone from PA's social and the guy got upset about it and got the authorities involved.

He currently is in some prison somewhere and apt to stay there for awhile. After it all came out in the open several women that were little girls in the pre-school that Roger helped out with in the 70's came forward and had less than flattering things to say about him and the little games he liked to play with them....So the "Free Murdoch" campaign that was going on here kind of lost steam.
    hmmm, talk about coincidences, the Bannister story was on a repeat of Cold Case on A&E just this morning, and there was something new at the end of the segment, a caption that stated that Roger Bannister was released on Parole in 2007.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

slow

When I lived near Breckenridge, I think the ratio was 8:1.
    The women used to say "The odds are good, but the goods are odd"

Interesting story about Murdoch. Mountain biking has a colorful history.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Is it just me, or is everyone standing around, waiting for the guy on the far left to try and straighten his seatpost, by hanging onto the bars, with his body behind, pushing it forward? Cool pic, just an interesting dynamic going on, he seems to be sort of a focal point. Cool pics by the way, all around!
    He's probably demonstrating the proper technique for <a href="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rhoid%20buffing">'rhoid buffing</a>.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowlickkid
    Just saw on A&E's Cold Case that Bannister was paroled in 2007. I wonder if he still rides?

edited to correct title of the show

you mean if he rides again.......sounds like he would not have had time to ride much for the last decade or so give or take......

Will

Hit The Road Cyclery
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    When I lived near Breckenridge, I think the ratio was 8:1.
    The women used to say "The odds are good, but the goods are odd"
    Or as they say in Alaska: "She's not your girlfriend, it's just your turn!"