26 inch mtb max psi?- Mtbr.com
    NeedGod.com

26 inch mtb max psi?

I converted my 1993 Haro Impulse into a cruiser bike with the original rims and some Innova 26 inch tires. The tires state that the max psi is 65. Iíve noticed that 50 psi is really not enough as Iím getting some self steer. Do you think the tubes can handle 65 psi with this setup?
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    I converted my 1993 Haro Impulse into a cruiser bike with the original rims and some Innova 26 inch tires. The tires state that the max psi is 65. Iíve noticed that 50 psi is really not enough as Iím getting some self steer. Do you think the tubes can handle 65 psi with this setup?
    The ideal tyre pressure is 45 psi for 26" mountain bike tyres.
    Drop your tyre pressure's and happy riding.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
    Alive so go for a ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Self steer? Don't know if thats an issue with pressure, not exactly sure what you mean. 65 psi is plenty of pressure for me on street. I do run more sometimes but thats on 28mm/1.25" wide tires.
    Tubes is not the problem, tire and rims are. Wide rims and tires will blow out with too much pressure.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Self steer is really apparent on fat bike tires at lower pressures, thing feesl like it's dragging itself around, with you in tow.

The early Surly tires had a very square profile, rather than U shaped, which made the issue far more noticeable too.

If your tire tread is flat, with a very square edge to it, there's your problem. And only a different tire will resolve it.

50+ in an normal, rounder profile tire, will not get you any kind of self steer, unless the tire is narrower than the rim.

Pics and product details will be helpful here, I'm not reading anything that indicates pressure as the issue.
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Do you think the tubes can handle 65 psi with this setup?

Tubes can handle any pressure you throw at them, it's the tires and rims you need to worry about. You didn't mention the tire width but most likely 65psi would be ok, but unnecessary and sub-optimal imo.
    I brake for stinkbugs