1998 Cannondale RAVEN- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

1998 Cannondale RAVEN

Hi there, i just unboxed this bike that i just rode for only 225km along time ago and the rear shock just broke down. Most of the parts are working and looking just like new, the brakes need replacement though.
    My question is, do think i should replace the brakes and just leave it as it is to commute and/or leave it on my bike shop as a "work of art" or should i build it with new wheels, transmission and brakes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1998 Cannondale RAVEN-13516659_10154359792713274_4751485042115206820_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've always thought Ravens were totally rad bikes. I remember seeing the bike reviewed in Mountain Bike Action when it first came out. In fact, the test bike they got was so early, that it still had the strain gauges affixed to the bare carbon frame from when Cannondale was stress testing the bike.

All in all, it's a pretty primitive bike when looking at full suspension rigs from the past decade, but there were a lot of way less effective bikes you could have picked up back in its time. It's certainly a capable bike in the right hands, so I'd say give it a once over and service the suspension. You'll have fun with it. If the bike has been sitting for that long, try pumping up the shock and see if it holds air. If not, there is a company, Risse Racing, that will overhaul your old suspension parts and make them like new again. Check them out. As for the rest of the bike, some fresh brake pads and tires, and a good once over should make it trail worthy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xavier lord View Post
    Hi there, i just unboxed this bike that i just rode for only 225km along time ago and the rear shock just broke down. Most of the parts are working and looking just like new, the brakes need replacement though.
    My question is, do think i should replace the brakes and just leave it as it is to commute and/or leave it on my bike shop as a "work of art" or should i build it with new wheels, transmission and brakes?
    3 years later but what the heck. I have a 1st gen raven, had both the front and rear shock fail. Got a rear shock from Risse Racing, only one I know of that has a clevis mount, big improvement because it came with damping. For the rest of the bike I was able to buy the parts off a 2010ish Cannondale that came with a lefty and hydraulic disc brakes. All in all it's a really light and fun bike, I keep it as a second bike for friends and it's still really fun. The lefty was a good improvement too because it adds 1" travel in the front so now both front and rear have 4".

Human shaped object
    How the heck is the seatpost attached? Not saying I'm a fatty, but that would make me nervous!
    Life is the sieve through which my anarchy strains, resolving itself into works